SSDs - State of the Product?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Interesting. Is that just the same old RAID controller strategy with a bunch of memory bolted on, or something else?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Clarification to the new Intel 5Y SSD warranties: Your warranty ends when the smart E9 attribute (Flash wear-out indicator) goes to 1. The warranty does not include excessive writing to the point that the flash wears out regardless of how little time that took.

Intel clarifies five year warrant on solid state drives

An interesting note on this, when I updated the firmware on my drive it reset the wearout indicator back to the top.

LunarMist

I need to replace a drive on one system now. What is the best option, the SandForced 3 or something made with Marvel? (I will not buy an OCZ for sure.) I need at least 120GB capacity and good write performance since the SSD will routinely need to write 80GB of temp files in a few minutes.

LunarMist

Me too, but if I go bnakrupt or have stroke or rupture, does it matter anymore?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I need to replace a drive on one system now. What is the best option, the SandForced 3 or something made with Marvel? (I will not buy an OCZ for sure.) I need at least 120GB capacity and good write performance since the SSD will routinely need to write 80GB of temp files in a few minutes.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4470/ocz-revodrive-3-x2-480gb-preview/1

Marvell controller, massive performance with compressed files, if you are thinking temp nefs/RAW files etc.

I guess otherwise wait for the next Intel device.

LunarMist

The M4 may be sleeping with the hippos. The OWC 6G will overtake it by Thursday. :colors: :spiderman: :cool:

LunarMist

Sorry, the board was stalling out on me. :( I thought maybe changing the formula would help ram those bytes through the series of tubes in the interwebs. ;-)

LunarMist

The OWC has reached a whole new level of crapitude. It cannot be partitioned or formatted in Windows and licks up the BIOS at boot. :tdown: $300 for this POS? :doh:

LunarMist

The single M4 is doing fine. It's quite a solid little drive, rather like the X-25M for the new decade. Only time will tell if it is reliable. ;)

LunarMist

No, the computer locks up and only the cursor blinks endlessly. :mad:

LunarMist

I tried it on four different controllers, but no go. I hope I can obtain a refund. :pale:

time

Storage? I am Storage!
It's a Sandforce 3 drive, what do you expect? That it should work as advertised? Sheesh!

Actually, I've been stranded again by my local supplier regarding disappearing stock of the M4, so I'm about to go out and be incredibly bloody stupid and buy a Corsair Force 3 - you know, the one that was recalled about 3 weeks ago. :(

That supplier claims I can get a refund if it's faulty, but I'll be double checking that before handing over the cash, as well as checking the serial number (the recall is supposed to only affect drives starting with 1122 or earlier).

Very unhappy about this, I'll be surprised if Corsair releases any more Sandforce drives.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, I bottled out. Supplier was only prepared to offer refund if Corsair offered refund, and no-questions-asked swap (DOA) is limited to 7 days. Post-recall stock, and sales guy said he personally had confidence, but after 5 seconds reflection I realized I was being stupid by trying to make my life simpler and ignoring the possible consequences.

So I'll wait for an M4 instead, and watch what happens with Corsair and Sandforce.

LunarMist

The 64GB C300? I'm not sure that you need to do much except make sure that is works. Maybe check the sustained reads to be sure that your SATA 3 speeds are up to snuff and check SMART once in a while.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Atto will give you some confirmation that sequential I/O is okay, although I wouldn't put any stock in individual numbers.

As Stereodude says, too much write I/O benchmarking will slow your drive, so I'd use a smaller file size and not run it too often.

MS SQLIO gives you tighter control over I/O requests, if you want to check 4, 8, 64 or 128kB block sizes. And you can confine yourself to reads.

I wouldn't run AS SSD more than once, or if you're concerned that performance isn't what it should be - it does an awful lot of writing. I found the numbers to be unreliable anyway, and there's no point at all in a queue depth of 32! The additional copy tests are okay though.

I did a Secure Erase on the drives that I did most of my benchmarking on, which resets them to factory condition. Garbage collection and TRIM should eventually restore most of the performance anyway, but it may take quite some time.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Seriously? I thought you used to fill your weekends with it?

Not any more. These days I'm lucky if I can get three hours of work in on a Saturday.

I can do a lot more remotely than I used to but other than basic monitoring I don't need to do much at this point.

Mercutio

I've noticed an odd behavior from the G1 X25-M in my gaming desktop. I only have one game installed in the 80GB space, City of Heroes, but since I had time to play this weekend, I did.

Unfortunately, what I actually spent most of the weekend doing was tracking down weird lag spikes in-game. My game machine is a ridiculously nice machine and at first I suspected the issues were related to my router, cable modem or some combination of other network traffic, but it turns out that the problem is my SSD. I'm not exactly sure why, but it's pausing for brief periods rather than delivering data immediately on request, resulting in issues with sound playback and when new textures are supposed to show up.

At the moment, normal operations like file copies seem to be unaffected, but I suspect my drive is nearing the end of its life. Maybe I'll get a G2 drive when it finally dies enough that I can RMA it.

Mercutio

I've noticed an odd behavior from the G1 X25-M in my gaming desktop. I only have one game installed in the 80GB space, City of Heroes, but since I had time to play this weekend, I did.

Unfortunately, what I actually spent most of the weekend doing was tracking down weird lag spikes in-game. My game machine is a ridiculously nice machine and at first I suspected the issues were related to my router, cable modem or some combination of other network traffic, but it turns out that the problem is my SSD. I'm not exactly sure why, but it's pausing for brief periods rather than delivering data immediately on request, resulting in issues with sound playback and when new textures are supposed to show up.

At the moment, normal operations like file copies seem to be unaffected, but I suspect my drive is nearing the end of its life. Maybe I'll get a G2 drive when it finally dies enough that I can RMA it.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
It is also my understanding that the Intel warranty expires when the EOL indicator says drive has been written to too much regardless of the amount of time has elapsed. You need to RMA the drive before that happens.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Do you have to have a clean drive to run these benchmarks on? Everybody in crucial forums seems to run AS SSD so I guess I'll run that as there is comparison data.