Wow.

sedrosken

Florida Man
I only just now looked into F@H. How have I not heard of this before? I'll install the client when I get home - at school at the moment - but when I do, watch out.

If I set up my P4 as a more or less dedicated folding machine (unless my main dies, I'm not going to be doing much else with it), how do you guys think it'll do? Am I better off leaving my main on (w/ 610 GT) at night?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Try it, every HW combination is different and it is easy enough to test.

Don't expect a lot of PPD. It is not very powerful compared to more modern HW.

Last edited:

CougTek

Serial computer killer
The GeForce GT 610 isn't a great card to run the client on it either. Most of those have a puny heatsink not very effective to keep the card cool if you push it too hard for a lenghty amount of time.

sedrosken

Florida Man
I run Skyrim on this machine. I think it will handle it pretty well. Started it.

folding at home.png

Should I set up my P4 as a dedicated folding machine? I don't have funds to drop a couple grand on a brand spanking new i7 with dual GTX TITANs, sorry.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Should I set up my P4 as a dedicated folding machine?
In a word : no. P5-133XL wrote why before he edited his post. IMO, if you run the client on that machine, it should only be the GPU client and only when the machine is not busy while you're working on it. Set the bar at "medium". That way, it won't slow down the user interface when you'll need to use the machine for something else. The client will only start when the screen will go to the screen saver.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Exactly how much data does this consume over the internet connection? I'm on a limited mobile wifi unit (it's that or dialup where I'm at), and if I eat up all the data my parents will kill me.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Considering your HW, I would predict very little (less than 75MB/month). After you have folded several WU's, You can estimate relatively precisely from your folding log which lists both download and upload sizes for every WU.