Windows fax and scanr default email

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hi folks,

I have a customer who had had to switch from Thunderbird (which she liked) to Microsoft Outlook (which she hates). (Don't ask why. Long story. Let's just say it has to do with a brain-dead service supplier (not us) and an abortion called Exchange.)

Anyway, we have dealt with that OK. Unfortunately, the Windows Fax and Scan program still tries to use Thunderbird. There is no facility for changing the linked email clint, it's one of those mindless Microsofy accessories which uses the system default email program no matter what.

Except that it doesn't. You can change the system default email client OK but Fax and Scan still pig-headedly tries to use Thunderbird. Without much hope I tried uninstall and reinstall, but no dice. I could try uninstalling Thunderbird, but I'm betting that won't help either. Any ideas?

Win 10, if that makes any difference. It's a 32-bit version of Office ... er 2010 maybe? I forgot to check which one. Thre are known problems with 64-bit F&S and 32-bit Outlook, but they go back to Vista days. They would obviously have fixed problems that old, wouldn't th-

Er.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Can't give you exact details, but the Fax service is controlled by a number of registry keys in the following locations:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Fax
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Fax
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Fax\FaxAccounts
HKCU\Printers\Connections\,,<fax server>,Fax
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Fax\UserInfo
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Fax\FaxOptions

In there somewhere should be the email setup including the email application to use.

Sorry can't be more help, but haven't had to use the Fax service in years...

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
1. Uninstall Thunderbird
2. Uninstall
Windows Fax and Scan
3. Reboot
3. Install
Windows Fax and Scan
4. Make it use email; hopefully it will find one of its own - Outlook
5. Install T-bird