Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SF

• I post ALL my messages on both forums

• Total voters

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I've noticed lately that no old-guard members come to create/respond posts in SR... Sometimes I see a couple of familiar figures (Mercutio, Flagreen), but most of you seem to have passed irrevocably to SF... :(

Guys, I can't post to both sides just to have a quality response to my threads... I need you, Eugene needs you, SR needs you... Let's rebuild SR the way it was before 12/29...

(Hey, I don't mean to create the same old issue here, but I'm just feeling sad I get responses to my threads by 1-post-members of uncertified computing qualifications...)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The quick answer is, it's being talked about. Personally, I try to at least remain aware of what's being talked about on SR, but I come here first... and with good reasons. Look at SR's Bar and Grille right now and tell me it doesn't hurt to see things how things are right now.

At the same time, newbies are good. Maybe the combined voice of Tannin and P5s and CougTeks etc kept some of them from posting before... but right now there isn't much I see there that I want or need to talk about. :(

I have a commitment to this site and a role to play in its future (I think). As I look at things, the site I want SR's forums to be is very much like the site that's right here, right now.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'd honestly have to count them up at both places to see which I post more at. I think only once or twice have I posted the same thread at both.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Doh! All I had to do was check the total number of my posts at both sites. 266 here 146 at SR.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Ditto to all the above, but hey... SR used to have 25000+ registered members by the time disaster stroke. The fact of the matter is that when SR Fixtures don't post on these forums, the posts seem less credible...

I'm in the top 5 post-ers in SR!! This thing wouldn't happen if every old Fixture posted in normal conditions...

Is it that we all miss Eric? What?! :( :(

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Tannin:
Storage Forum: 314
Storage Review: 78

Tea:
Storage Forum: 105
Storage Review: 61

CNN Sport:
Storage Forum: nil
Storage Review: 2

Still posting as SR, but this place is home. I go to SR when I get bored here. When I get bored at SR I read The Register. When I've read The Register I play Age of Empires. When I get bored with Age of Empires, I come back here. And so on. Round and round. Sometimes I do some work or answer emails. Sometimes I sleep. Hell, last week I ate something!

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Prof.Wizard said:
I'm in the top 5 post-ers in SR!! This thing wouldn't happen if every old Fixture posted in normal conditions...

Is it that we all miss Eric? What?! :( :(
There were a lot of members with more posts than you in the old and gone forum only because you came up late. If you would have joined back in 98 or 99, you have compete with Eric (post # champion), Tony (word # champion), Greg, Supercaff and Kevin. Now that everyone started at the same time, the average post per day determines the top poster, not the date they registered.

As for myself, I post and average of 5 posts/day at SR and 7 posts/day here. For now, I have more posts at SR than I have here, but that's only because I started here three weeks later than at SR.

Eric is still around, but under a new handle : LOST6200, which is quite revelant if you want to know why he isn't as omnipresent as he was back then.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Bill,

What! You didn't know it? Well, now I know people don't read my posts. I must have called him by his first name at least four or five times since he started to use his new handle. I thought it would be enough for everyone to figure out.

I'm pis...!

;-)

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
CougTek said:
Now that everyone started at the same time, the average post per day determines the top poster, not the date they registered.

This isn't absolutely right since you can have newbies that become Fixtures on their registration day...

As for myself, I post and average of 5 posts/day at SR and 7 posts/day here. For now, I have more posts at SR than I have here, but that's only because I started here three weeks later than at SR.

Yes, but I wanted to know WHY? Why you people do this, since both forums are new and in any way your (our) old work has been lost...

Eric is still around, but under a new handle : LOST6200, which is quite revelant if you want to know why he isn't as omnipresent as he was back then.

I don't care about EBB's lost posts... WTF, it was the first time I surpassed 1000+ in a forum myself... The thing I miss is Eric's IT knowledge, that's why you (we) should all return to SR...

Mercutio

Prof, SR just isn't where "home" is online right now. Not to me, anyway. Hopefully someday soon this site will be able to stand on its own two feet and you'll see a visit here no differently from a visit to any number of other techie forums (only better).

In my mind SR's future is still uncertain. Notice Eugene's announcement hasn't made an appearance on the front page of SR? Storageforum is new, yes, but it's stable up, too. Handruin is paying the bill for the bandwidth and there's basically enough free labor and technical knowledge to make it possible to run the site with volunteers.
SR is about drive reviews first, then the forums. SF is about a community.

No one is asking you to make a choice. SR and SF aren't jealous girlfriends.

...and because of those indicating a preference of posting here, whose IT knowledge you clearly value, perhaps it's best if you consider spending time here as well as there.

bahngeist

What is this storage?
I echo Mercutio in that there hasn't been much said in SR recently that I feel a need to contribute comments. I generally get to work a 1/2 hour early to come up to speed with the new threads/post on both SR and SF. Over time I have found that I'm just skimming SR, since there really isn't much there to 'grab me' as there used to be.

That was happening before the forum DB was lost actually; but the latter incident has certainly accelerated the process. Although matters were actually looking good in the first month following the reconsitution of the SR forum, it appears to be 'floundering' a bit again. My impression is that this just part of a growing process, which suggests that once the new' forum matures, it will have a 'personality' quite different from that of the old.

It is heartening that many of the 'old guard' fixtures have stayed with SR, but it is my impression that a 'new guard' is assuming the vanguard. To a certain extent the subtle influence of the old guard was undermined by the 'incident', and the 'grounding' that they provided was subsequently weakened. Chances are, even if all of the prior membership had returned immediately after the forum was reborn, and posted as they did before, the new SR wouldn't be all that different from what it is at present.

Although I intend to follow SR indefinently, and will submit posts there whenever appropriate, I feel a greater affinity with the SF community. To me, the original attraction of SR was the wealth of knowledge that was readily shared, and, moreso, the maturity that was common throughout the membership (I joined in Nov. '00). I don't see SF as being in direct competition with SR: it is my impression that the principle founding motivation of its core membership was the desire to maintain ties of friendship that they were loath to lose. In fact, I suspect that many of them weren't fully aware of those bonds until they were temporarily lost -- I certainly felt a loss, and I was at best a peripheral member (having contributed only 250 post approx. in 13 months).

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Like bahngeist, I wasn't a super-frequent poster @ SR, coming up with only around 250 or so posts myself. Nowadays, for both SR & SF, I average maybe 0 - 1 posts a day.

I typically only post when I think I honestly have something serious to contribute (B&G aside). Discussions on IDE RAID? I ditched my RAID1 setup a couple of years back; no desire to mess with it ever again. Most other topics I just don't have the time or interest to be involved with.

I come here & scan the thread titles for something interesting. Read & post on occasion. Then do the same @ SR. But the checks at SR are getting more and more brief as time goes by as there's less content that I am attracted to.

- Fushigi

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I think SR is in kind of a void right now.
An in between kind of place where nobody really knows where it is going.
This is due to lack of defined leadership.
When SR actually comes back, there will be some time shaking off the results of what happened. Yeah we know SR will be back as Eugene stated. But as yet there is no announcement on the front page and most importantly no new storage news/reviews. And there is less than two weeks left before the extra month runs out.
This has led to a decreased interest, at least for me, in posting to any of the topics there... or here for that matter. The Bar & Grille is probably more popular right now because of this.
I've considered giving up reading the forums several times. It is now one of the last places I check on my daily internet routine.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
The lack of any front page changes or new reviews is intentional. They are not going out of business. In time you'll understand why the slow appearance as Eugene will explain all.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
However, SR lacks considerably in reviews lately... When are they going to test the 120GXP?

X-bit Labs has already done it. I respect XbLs' reviews... but I want to see a testbed 3 treating to be sure...

Vlad The Impaler

Learning Storage Performance
I just don't like it at SR anymore. Flaming, criticism of private pricing for heavens sake. It is like looking at a bunch of nasty under-fives at playschool along with a few 'witty' (used in the loosest possible sense of the word) rabble rousers and trolls. This is the Bar and Grille I am talking about, but it is spreading.....

SF is what I always read now, and long may it stay as it is. This is where the spirit insofar aa I can see it of the old SR has come to rest.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
You know, Vlad, I think SR has improved a great deal in the last couple of days. Oh, there is a lot of crap posted there but there is quite a bit of good stuff too all of a sudden. Perhaps it's just a random blip, but there have been maybe a dozen threads I really wanted to read and participate in over there, where a lot of the time these last few months I've not felt invited by the place at all.

And - is this mere coincidence? - Storage Forum has suddenly started to kick arse too, at more or less the exact same time. These last couple of days have seen numerous threads here that caught my whole attention, too many threads for me to stay fully aware of them all. Somewhere in the back of my mind I've been wondering if there is a reason. Several speculative ones occur to me.
  • (Both places.) There is some national holiday or end of national holiday or something of that nature in the USA, and people are spending more time at places like SR and SF than they were a couple of weeks ago.
  • The new SR forum has "gelled" at last and is starting to build itself into a worthy discussion forum once again. (SR only, obviously.)
  • It's just dumb luck. Storage Review will soon return to its aimless, chaotic, formless state since the MBF, and Storage Forum will soon become a quiet backwater once again. (Both places.)
  • There is a lack of other pressing public business (such as watching the bombing of Afganistan or the demolition of the twin towers) and people are spending more time thinking about matters technical. (Both places.)
  • Eugene's announcement has filled SR with confidence that SR is here to stay and the members there are posting away with their old abandon once again. Eugene's announcement has also filled SF with confidence: members here can see that SF is not folding just because SR is going to continue after all, and are posting away here with abandon. (Both places.)
  • Storage Forum's admin team (only twelve in number but prolific posters all) have finally stopped messing about arguing interminably over misplaced commas in the 98th draft of the forum rules and come out here into the real world. The place is generating "critical mass" at last. (SF only.)

You know, I've been watching the relative activity in the various forums here for quite a while now. For a long while, the private admin forum had vastly more traffic than any other. Only the equally inward-looking "Feedback" forum came anywhere near it. The Admin Forum is still the biggest, with 64 topics and about 950 posts now, but the real forums - "Computers" and "The Bar and Grille" are catching up fast. I remember noticing a week or two ago that the "Bar and Grille" and "Computers" sections had more posts between them than "Admin", and thinking that was a step in the right direction. And right now it looks like "Computers" (49 threads, 705 posts) will outstrip "Admin" by the end of the month, and "Bar and Grille" (43 threads, 650 posts) will do likewise soon after.

This can only be a good thing.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I was wondering if the decadence of the SR forums is due a to signal-to-noise ratio decrease (due to the absence of old-time Fixtures) or due to real problems after the "tragic events of 12/29"... :-?

Time will tell...

However, it has been a pleasant surprise to see Eugene back again active with 2 new reviews and 2 front-page announcements...

CNN Sport

What is this storage?
"Welcome back to CNN Sport. I'm Dave Spadruck and I'm here live in the studio with expert commentator Ed Mowlowski."

"It's good to be back, Dave."

"It sure is, Ed. And I want to just take this moment to thank all you fans out there in homes around the country for staying with us. "

"Always one of the best times of the year, the start of a new season, Dave."

"Now. Tell me straight, Ed, you've heard the same rumours that I have. We all know that Storage Review had the best damn discussion forum team in the business for a long, long time there. Do you really believe that the mighty SR Blueshirts are on the ropes?"

"Well, Dave, before I answer that, let me turn the question around a little first. Just what makes you think that they are?"

"Oh come on, Ed. Blind Freddie can tell that they are not playing the game the way they used to. There is a lack of unity, a lot of team friction, and while most of the old stars are still on the books, no-one seems to be stepping up to the plate and hitting homers the way thay did in '99 or '01."

"OK Dave. I'm not going to deny the obvious. But fair go now, just how long do you think a team can stay at the absolute top of its form for? Nothing lasts forever, Dave."

"So you agree that Team SR Forum is finished?"

"No I don't! Oh, sure, they are going through a rough patch, but that's a natural part of the game. No team is immune to it."

"But it was trouble at the top that brought it on, wasn't it? The club's financial situation, the MBF, all that talk about an attitude problem ..."

"Not at all, Dave. You have to take a longer view of these things. The signs of decay were there for all to see long before any of that came to light. Members were complaining that the forums were not what they used to be long before any of that other stuff came up. Years before."

"But the side is finished now?"

"No. They are not playing with the power and panache they had a year or two ago, but you should never write off a champion team. Sure, the goal average is down and the signal to noise ratio is higher than it used to be. But that won't last forever."

"They are on the comeback? Why don't I see more points on the board then?"

"It's called a rebuilding phase, Dave. It takes time."

"How much time, Ed? I don't see it. They have practically all the star players back under contract now - Clocker and Helldiver in midfield, Sean and Tannin on the left wing, Skallas in the centre, Jason out there on the right wing, Flagreen and The Prof up forward and P5 down there on the backline picking up the hard balls. Even EBB is back in training. So where are the results Ed? They just ain't kicking em like they used to."

"And they won't ever kick em like they used to, Dave. That's what rebuilding means. It means bringing on some talented younger players and letting them find their own style."

"But Ed, it's not Team Storage Review any more."

"What are you saying, Dave?"

"Here, look at the replay of the team stats:

srposters.gif

"I mean, where is the sense in that, Ed? Half their key position players are guys who were struggling to get a game this time last season."

"And that's just the way it should be, Dave. Coach Eugene is no fool. He knows he has to blood new players, let them settle down and find their feet. The last thing he needs is a whole bunch of overweight has-beens getting all the game time. And look at the way the young kids are responding to the challenge - guys like Russofris and Occupant and Mickey. There is a lot of talent there, Dave. "

"So you think it will be just like the old SR Blueshirts by the end of the season, Ed?"

"You don't get it, do you Dave? No. They will be just like the new SR Blueshirts. Hey Dave, cut the guys some slack. You don't build a great team overnight, you have to give the new guys time to make their mark, evolve their own style. You want to see the old SR Team play, you go down to the tape archive and watch the replays. You want to see some great live storage action this year, just keep your eye on the Blueshirts."

"Err, right, Ed. We have to take a station break now. You're on CNN Sport."

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
If someone really wanted to help SR's B&G Forum they would give a certain individual a job so that he might actually do something constructive with his time. Isn't there someone out there with an opening?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Tannin said:
You know, Vlad, I think SR has improved a great deal in the last couple of days. Oh, there is a lot of crap posted there but there is quite a bit of good stuff too all of a sudden. Perhaps it's just a random blip, but there have been maybe a dozen threads I really wanted to read and participate in over there, where a lot of the time these last few months I've not felt invited by the place at all.
No no Tony, it's just me and Flagreen who have started to post a lot more at SR in the last week, that's all ;-)

(joking)

Mercutio

flagreen said:
If someone really wanted to help SR's B&G Forum they would give a certain individual a job so that he might actually do something constructive with his time. Isn't there someone out there with an opening?

I've been whining about finding a (permanent) job on SR way longer than anyone else. First dibs!

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Mercutio said:
flagreen said:

I've been whining about finding a (permanent) job on SR way longer than anyone else. First dibs!
Therein lies the difference, apparently you want a job.