Tsar Flashlight

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Any updates on this?

I'm actually, maybe, might be interested in this.

My application would be to illuminate a 20-30 feet wide, by 5-10 feet tall area 100 yards away. And keep it illuminated for 2-4 hours with no power outlet available. Car battery or two maybe?

Any thoughts? Approx cost?

Thanks in advance.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Did you do the math? How many lux do you need on the target?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Any updates on this?

I'm actually, maybe, might be interested in this.

My application would be to illuminate a 20-30 feet wide, by 5-10 feet tall area 100 yards away. And keep it illuminated for 2-4 hours with no power outlet available. Car battery or two maybe?

Any thoughts? Approx cost?

Thanks in advance.
I have all the parts on hand, other than the heat sinks for Dave's light. I just haven't had time to do anything with them yet. I'm going to cobble together a three emitter light for myself using one of my heat sinks and post pictures. Hopefully that'll happen in the next few days.

A car battery might be suitable for what you have in mind. Figure about 100 watts per emitter, so you'll need roughly 8 or 9 amp-hrs from the battery per emitter for every hour you want the light on.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Did you do the math? How many lux do you need on the target?

First I'd have to figure out what a lux is and how much I need. LOL.

Basically enough light to read a non-reflective sign, say 25'x7' at 100 yards.

I have all the parts on hand, other than the heat sinks for Dave's light. I just haven't had time to do anything with them yet. I'm going to cobble together a three emitter light for myself using one of my heat sinks and post pictures. Hopefully that'll happen in the next few days.

A car battery might be suitable for what you have in mind. Figure about 100 watts per emitter, so you'll need roughly 8 or 9 amp-hrs from the battery per emitter for every hour you want the light on.

Mainly need a ball park price per "emitter package" times how many emitters I'd need plus payment for your work & shipping to AZ.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Is the sign only displayed at night? Why not read it during the day?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Mainly need a ball park price per "emitter package" times how many emitters I'd need plus payment for your work & shipping to AZ.
I'd probably say somewhere in the ball park of $125 to $150 per emitter for parts and labor. Shipping to AZ shouldn't be more than $20 or $25 going UPS ground or USPS Priority.

ddrueding

Fixture
Not sure if this is still the case, but one of the perks from buying stuff from jtr used to be that the package came wallpapered with old, low-denomination stamps.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Not sure if this is still the case, but one of the perks from buying stuff from jtr used to be that the package came wallpapered with old, low-denomination stamps.
It's still the case if I have time to go through my father's stamp collection instead of paying at the Post Office. He left us upwards of $50K in stamps, most of them sadly worth no more than postage. Basically, that's just about anything from the 1950s on, which is most of what he had.

Handruin

Administrator
It's still the case if I have time to go through my father's stamp collection instead of paying at the Post Office. He left us upwards of $50K in stamps, most of them sadly worth no more than postage. Basically, that's just about anything from the 1950s on, which is most of what he had.

Wow, that's a fuck-ton of stamps!

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Wow, that's a fuck-ton of stamps!
Yep. And my father was just as excessive with his other hobbies. We estimate he spent about $200K altogether. And that would have been fine if he made good money but he worked for the city his entire life. The sad part is very little of anything he bought is now worth anything. We realized after he passed on that he had OCD. Had most of that hobby money been invested, he could have easily been a millionaire.