Phone mounts

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
It took me a long time to find a mount I could be happy with that did not mount to the windshield. Mine is made by Arkon and is the slim grip holder. The holder mounts to an arm that has 3M tape stuck to the dash. I can't find the item again. Today I would probably stuck one of the glossy disks to the dash and get access to all of the windshield mounts.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've been looking at using the CD slot in my stereo as a mount point, but my specific phone requires access to the back for hard buttons. Because of the shape of my windshield using it as a mount point seems inconvenient.

I'm auditioning replacements now.

ddrueding

Fixture
I identified a small trim piece that was easy and cheap to remove/replace, ordered a spare, and drilled a single hole in one of them. Anytime I like I can just swap it with the unmodified one. In my car this was the bezel around the stereo.

Sticky tape and suction cups just don't work for my driving style, they always end up flying off in some random direction.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm not sure what is a driving style. Is that something competitive grading on points? One would expect loose objects would be disallowed as they would become projectiles on impact.
Do you have some kind of amateur rally car?

ddrueding

Fixture
Nope. I just spend a lot of my life in a car and insist on making that time as fun as possible. The company I work for owns several industrial sites, one of which is an open-pit mine. Not sure what MSHA says about the car traveling in a direction it isn't pointing.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
So what do you all use for phone mounting in your cars?

Do you use it for calls, texts, email, web browsing or music?

For music, calls and incoming texts, I use Ford Sync.

For incoming texts and emails, I also use a smartwatch.

For the rest, I wait until I am parked (bear in mind that it would otherwise be a $300 fine here if I held the phone in my hand, and that if you cause a serious accident while texting, you could go to jail).

Stereodude

Not really a
Of course the research shows that hands free cell phone usage is just as distracting as holding the phone in your hand.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
"The research" isn't very scientific, is it?

I realize that people may react differently, but I find that even outside a car, wearing a bluetooth earpiece gives me more awareness of my surroundings when compared to holding a phone up to my ear. My ability to handle complex tasks is definitely better with the earpiece. It's almost the same with car handsfree, but I suspect the earpiece is slightly better - if you're prepared to wear one every time you drive.

Also not very scientific, but I'd bet that's how it works for most people.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
The law is, regardless of the research. Though the research does show that freeing the hands does not unburden the mind.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
I've been looking at using the CD slot in my stereo as a mount point, but my specific phone requires access to the back for hard buttons. Because of the shape of my windshield using it as a mount point seems inconvenient.

I'm auditioning replacements now.

Maybe something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MNXAFQ6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
I have one and it is pretty nice. It requires putting the thin metal plate on your phone or between your phone and a case though. I don't really notice mine inside the case.

Stereodude

Not really a
"The research" isn't very scientific, is it?
Since I don't know what you consider "scientific" I can't answer your question.

This article gets into some of the research.

A recent episode of Mythbusters ran a moderately sized sample of drivers through Stanford's driving simulator and found no statistically significant difference between the two. link

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Of course the research shows that hands free cell phone usage is just as distracting as holding the phone in your hand.

How about not making calls when driving and concentrating on the road/traffic? Isn't that the safest option?
It will be nice to have the built in Bluetooth when I eventually get a new car, but I expect to keep it in my pants.