phone emulator

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Does anyone know of a phone emulator for Android tablets?
I want to check some websites for look and feel and I don't have (or want) a smartphone.

Opera (among others) provide this for desktop. Do people just assume that any normal human with a tablet has a smartphone too?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Off the top of my non-developer head, Google's official emulator or BlueStacks both do Android emulatory things. I have not idea of limitations.
And yes, I would expect more people have a smartphone and no tablet than tablet and no smartphone. More portable, more functions....

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm a big fan of Andy, a preconfigured Virtualbox machine that runs Android/x86. It's not a phone but rather a tablet session, but it runs well for anything that doesn't need specific GPU code (i.e. some Unreal Engine games).

Edit: Also, stay right the fuck away from Bluestacks. Every installer for it that I've seen will shit toolbars and Malware all over your PC.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm a big fan of Andy, a preconfigured Virtualbox machine that runs Android/x86. It's not a phone but rather a tablet session, but it runs well for anything that doesn't need specific GPU code (i.e. some Unreal Engine games).

Edit: Also, stay right the fuck away from Bluestacks. Every installer for it that I've seen will shit toolbars and Malware all over your PC.

Thanks for the great tips! I uninstalled a December 2012 version of Bluestacks about a year ago - hopefully it didn't leave crap behind.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Most of the time, when I see Bluestacks installed, it's so a kid can play Android games or run one of those mobile-only messaging apps. The people doing those sorts of things tend to be in the category of folks who know just enough to be dangerous. I can't say with 100% certainty that Bluestacks is ALWAYS a problem, but the last two machines where I found Bluestacks had both Windows AND Android malware installed.

sedrosken

Florida Man
I've used Bluestacks before, I never had an issue beyond my machine not being powerful enough to run it at full speed at the time. However I'm currently a much bigger fan of Genymotion.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Thankyou all for useful answers. My question was poorly phrased. I was actually looking for an Android app to run on an Android tablet to emulate an Android phone, simply on the theory that it's probably going to be a closer emulation than anything running on a PC can be. Among other things, you can try out gestures and screen rotations - stuff that doesn't apply on PC. But no-one seems to do such a thing. No big deal, I'll just use Opera and Chrome on PC for it.