Nexus 7 tablet

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup. Looks interesting. I might consider some as remote controls for the home automation system. Just need to get more of the home stuff...automated. Scripting may be involved.

Handruin

Administrator
That looks like what I really wanted out of my Kindle Fire at that price point. The initial performance looks good with respect to fluidity. Their claim of "declaring a war on laginess" sounds like my kind of war. Two to three weeks for delivery is fairly soon after an announcement. Amazon took several months. I'm actually interested in getting one and selling my Fire.

Handruin

Administrator
Yup. Looks interesting. I might consider some as remote controls for the home automation system. Just need to get more of the home stuff...automated. Scripting may be involved.

Would you be building an Android app to do this work? I don't want to derail this thread, but would be interested to know how you plan to integrate the home automation scripting with an Android-based tablet.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Engadget really likes this as well. If I actually had a use for a tablet this is the one I'd get.

It's probably worth the $50 to get the 16GB version, since there's no SD slot.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
DroidSeer will send commands to HomeSeer, if you have a copy of that. HomeSeer is kind of a be-all, end-all home automation tool.

As far as tablets and their uses, there's amazing utility in just having an extra screen sometimes. My desktop right now has three large screens and I'm doing crap on all of them (Remote desktops + music player, browser full of tabs of instructions for crap I've never done before, Winword, Paint.net) and I have Email/IMs running on my Galaxy so I can see them without disturbing anything. Every once in a while I find myself trying to mouse over onto it.

ddrueding

Fixture
Would you be building an Android app to do this work? I don't want to derail this thread, but would be interested to know how you plan to integrate the home automation scripting with an Android-based tablet.

My thought was to do it via a web page. That way I can use the same interface from tablets and computers. I already love the webpage built into my Denon receiver; it is the only interface I use now. I have a bunch of Insteon lighting control stuff, that HomeSeer thing looks interesting, and my favorite wireless company just sent me info on their newest product.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
~The initial performance looks good with respect to fluidity. Their claim of "declaring a war on laginess" sounds like my kind of war. !

I really really liked hearing that too, and appears they have pulled it off.

~since there's no SD slot.

This is probably the only thing that kept me from an instant buy. Must be something coming out with a memory card slot.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
timwhit said:
~since there's no SD slot
This is probably the only thing that kept me from an instant buy
I really like what I see with this device, but I too am put off by the exclusion of a few notable features; had they too been included in the design (which apparently was the case with the original device prototype Asus had before Google came on board and subsequently saw them dropped), the "instant buy" becomes pretty close to reality.

Seems we are so close to an awesome device at an awesome price point .... yet, are still so far *.

Anyway, a couple of Nexus 7 related stories to keep an eye on:

- http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...ay-ghosting-just-take-a-look-at-these-photos/

- http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-07-03/here-comes-nexus-7-nightmare-the-ipad-mini

* I do, however, think that this will be a great device for a large population of users ... I might just get one to play around with (read: hands on check out) and then give it to a relative, whom I think will really appreciate it.

Handruin

Administrator
I really like what I see with this device, but I too am put off by the exclusion of a few notable features; had they too been included in the design (which apparently was the case with the original device prototype Asus had before Google came on board and subsequently saw them dropped), the "instant buy" becomes pretty close to reality.

Seems we are so close to an awesome device at an awesome price point .... yet, are still so far *.

Anyway, a couple of Nexus 7 related stories to keep an eye on:

- http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...ay-ghosting-just-take-a-look-at-these-photos/

- http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-07-03/here-comes-nexus-7-nightmare-the-ipad-mini

* I do, however, think that this will be a great device for a large population of users ... I might just get one to play around with (read: hands on check out) and then give it to a relative, whom I think will really appreciate it.

This same thing kept me from pulling the trigger on it. It's not a huge deal, but it would have been a feature I would have wanted to have above what I have now in the Kindle Fire.