New Samsung hard drive

ddrueding

Fixture
Considering Samsung is one of the leaders in the upcoming SSD revolution; I think it is a big mistake for them to market a merely quiet drive as "silent" when they are one of the few coming out with a truly silent drive.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
The space seems miniscule if they are hoping to push these silent drives as suitable for HD DVRs etc.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
32 MB/sec.?

Wha...LM, didn't you read what honold & Merc said in 2003 here Time for Heresey!? Didn't you read where Eugene says seeks & STR as reported as max/min reads are for the most part useless as an indicator of performance in his determination of what 'most' desktop users use their computers for?

From the "May 29th, 2007" (posted last Saturday) SR review of the 1TB Hitachi SATA 3.5in drive:

http://www.storagereview.com/HDS721010KLA330.sr?page=0%2C1

Some [biased :p] Perspective
It is important to remember that access time and transfer rate measurements are mostly diagnostic in nature and not really measurements of "performance" per se
Ah never mind, how's about 67MB/s Read-45MBs writes & 64GB in a 1.8in SSD from Samsung, speculated to sell for ~$600 H207? Whereas a SSD has a flat graph of transfer rates on reads @67MBs whether empty or at full capacity, it matches the Maxline Pro on the other zones of that drive. When looking at min. STR reads for the current 1TB Hitachi 67MB is well above the 1TB's 46.4MBs, and still higher than the WD Raptors min of 60MB on reads.

Eugene doesn't post transfer rates for writes, but at 45MB for the 64GB Samsung, we'll take an educated guess it's going to beat the 1TB Hitachi (as the 1TB gets full). Don't expect Eugene to test or even try to obtain a latest gen. SSD, wouldn't want to embarass those 'enterprise' 15krpm drives he loves so dearly at the top of the leaderboard ;) when it comes to testing his version of 'real performance pre se', lol.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Wha...LM, didn't you read what honold & Merc said in 2003 here Time for Heresey!? Didn't you read where Eugene says seeks & STR as reported as max/min reads are for the most part useless as an indicator of performance in his determination of what 'most' desktop users use their computers for?

Yes, of course and I posted as well. Don't you remember all the drives I bought and tested in the late 1990s and early 2000s, that we discussed at SR?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
The 32GB model is down to $480. I suspect a couple of them will be part of my next system build.

Do I have to buy more than one since it says bulk?

I think this would be a perfect size for my boot drive. It would be replacing a rather old 10k RPM Cheetah. I just wish the price was a little lower. For under $400, I think I would just splurge and buy it.

ddrueding

Fixture
It is designed as a laptop replacement drive (2.5"); I suppose the majority of laptops are still PATA. Mine is SATA, so it wouldn't help me there either.