Mirrorless Cameras (MILC) and Lenses

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
And when the eyes are not visible or the person moves away it will AF on the undesirables. :(
I'd be less concerned about a reasonable drop-in background than a person that appears to be tweaking around in the chair.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't have a nice enough Sony to tell what its contemporary subject detection does, but if I just leave my R6 in (human) eye detect mode and tell it which subject to follow, it defaults to eye then face then head then body. I can't think of a better order of operation for it.

LunarMist

I know you guys are always throwing technology at problems that can be solved in other ways, but I would be willing to bet that the AF will not be perfect for hours at a time nor will the background be completely blurred. I know several companies that require most people to use a dropout background on meetings for consistency and professionalism. Much of meetings is about presentations anyways in technical areas.

ddrueding

Fixture
For me the only thing worse than a fake blurred background is bad audio (background noises, echo, levels, in that order). It communicates a lack of preparation and self-awareness that grates on me quite a bit.

Mercutio

Definitely concur about audio, but its pretty easy to do right for talking heads. As far as relying on subject AF, it's standard operating procedure for many Youtube creators and twitch streamers.

There's a Youtube Channel called Camera Conspiracies. The creator that runs that channel is extremely focused on modest consumer ILCs for video. He's usually very interested in the limitations of subject focus for blogging but also for wildlife videography. He doesn't really love anything, but he has said the DJI Osmo 3 is a lot cheaper than a full-fat ILC and seems to have subject focus for talking heads absolutely nailed.

Casey, the creator in question, spend a lot of time futzing about with camera autofocus systems and given dd's current needs, it might be worth a look at what he has to say on the matter.

ddrueding

Fixture
I certainly don't mind spending some money, but I've been under the impression that there is no substitute for sensor size when it comes to DoF management or low-light capability. If there was just a webcam with full-frame, a fast zoom, and good autofocus I can save the money.

LunarMist

But it is not necessary. If a movie worth hundreds of millions is shot with a smaller senor, why do you need 24x36mm for a video conference? Even pro talent sometimes do demos on an iPhone for example.
Who are you conferencing with, the C levels of $10B+ companies in a fancy boardroom, your external or internal customers, government authorities, etc.?

Mercutio

Presumably dd wants to do other things with his camera besides videoconference. He has a kid. People usually like to take pictures of those, even if they aren't as fun as dancers or cats.

It is endlessly amazing to me that the lowest-quality images of my partner (born in 2000) over her entire life was shot with a DV camcorder.

LunarMist

I only photographed dancers once, during a dress rehearsal. It was not fun in any way. Fortunately I'm not a photographer.
I do like photographing the wild cats - lions, leopards, cheetahs, caracals, African wildcats, servals, jaguars, ocelots, pumas, bobcat, linux, etc. (Due to disease conditions I missed opportunities to visit wild cats in Asia.) Felis catus, not so much.

The lowest quality images would be the ones with the worst lighting, subject matter, and capture. I have excellent photos from the 20th century, often better than many in the first two decades of the 21st century. Video was most always crud until recently.
The problem nowadays is that everybody thinks that they are a photographer or videographer or director.

Mercutio

The problem nowadays is that everybody thinks that they are a photographer or videographer or director.

When I'm asked, I always tell people that I'm a guy with a camera, not a photographer. Nonetheless, I have spent money on off camera flash, V-flats and various sorts of lighting modifiers.

I more or less only take photos of people and I particularly like shooting performers. One of my favorite-ever experiences was getting to shoot a broadcast-grade drag show. I was just visiting friends, but one of those friends is a fixture at those sorts of nightclubs. I was able to get candid and stage photos with performers who had actually. I liked that more than shooting professional basketball (I don't have press credentials so being able to do that took an act of God but it turns out that I functionally know God for that purpose). or at the Ravinia outdoor music festival.

The most grateful performers (aside from strippers) tend to be comedians. Getting anything other than cell phone videos seems to be a big deal for them.

LunarMist

So you are shooting and giving the talent free images with limited usage rights or full usage rights? You are using a standard release form?

Mercutio

Payment depends on the individual, but I have a standard contract for my work. It says that both myself and models jointly own any media we create but I foreswear any public exhibition (i.e. I'm not posting them anywhere) or commercial interest. Mostly because I don't want to be bothered with it. I can use my ownership right to issue takedowns if I find unauthorized use in the wild, which actually does happen.

I only ask for payment from people I know are able to make a living from their content creation work, for a one-off shoot, or if there's more than incidental expenses involved in our plans. Two people pay me to edit video and nothing else.

I've gotten to take photos at concerts, but getting release rights from everyone involved in any big money entertainment industry is functionally impossible, but it's still fun.

LunarMist

Mercutio

That's a legitimately interesting use for MFT, other than the $1000 price tag. You can get a pretty respectable Panasonic MFT camera for under $250.

ddrueding

Fixture
That is interesting, thanks for thinking of me. $1k for 4/3 is pretty steep. I would hope for at least APS-C for that. But I do like the form factor and would go for it if it were cheaper or had a larger sensor.

Mercutio

Blackmagic Cameras are beautiful if you are the opposite of LM in terms of photo/video capability. However, the newer ones are not small, which is usually the thing Micro Four Thirds is good at. I only ever use my Lumix if I'm worried something might happen to a camera. It gets taken to protests a lot.

I shot B roll for music video last fall with a full time videographer last fall. He couldn't say enough good things about his Pocket 6k.

LunarMist

They are great for aw lot of things as is some Red stuff, but not as a webcam. :ROFLMAO:

LunarMist

It does not surprise me, but you act like that is a good thing. 🤔