Here's your chance....

The Giver

Learning Storage Performance
...to be rid of The Giver. Check out this thread at Storage Review. If the Goal of $500 is achieved The Giver will disappear from not only Storage Review's forum's but from this site's also.

http://forums.storagereview.net/viewtopic.php?t=1166

To Forum Management - The Giver apologises if this is considered spamming <cough> not that there's any rules against spamming <cough>. But if you do disapprove, please delete the thread. Some folks would see it more as a first aid remedy than spamming.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Wow! you will leave both forums, that is really incredible. Maybe it is worth the money.....

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I'm impressed by our lack of value. Leaving SR cost $500.00 but leaving SF is worth nothing extra.

James

Storage is cool
I was going to mention this before :

Last edited by Handruin on Sat Feb 09, 2002 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total

Am I to understand that there are two groups of people on this board, those that can edit, and those that can't?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
At this stage, James, yes. The ones that can edit posts are Webmaster Handruin, the ones that can't are everybody else: you, me, The Giver, all of us.

Handruin was a little naughty there: he should have said "I edited this post because I forgot to add Storage Review" or "to correct my spelling error" or something. But he probably just forgot.

Discussion continues as to the selection of moderator(s), who will presumably have post-editing powers, and who will (no doubt) use them as little as possible.

As to the question of whether all users should have post-edit powers, limited post-edit powers (say, first 30 minutes only) or none at all, that has not been discussed. Best to do that in another thread, though, if you want to raise it.

Handruin

Administrator
I appologize I forgot to say I edited the post. Under normal cirumstances I wouldn't, but given who is here posting this weird link, I decided to change my worthy causes for which to donate money. (I've donated in the past and didn't exclude them for any reason other then they didn't fit into my non-profit organizations)

The Giver

P5-133XL said:
I'm impressed by our lack of value. Leaving SR cost $500.00 but leaving SF is worth nothing extra.
A blatant insult to be sure! Were The Giver so unfortunate as to merely just be one of you "little people" he would take that link right over to Storage Review and do his part to be rid of the cad!

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Tannin said:
At this stage, James, yes. The ones that can edit posts are Webmaster Handruin, the ones that can't are everybody else: you, me, The Giver, all of us.

I thought everyone was able to edit their own posts. I know that I can and all Hadruin did was edit his own post. Is is just administrators that can edit? It is simple, look at your own post and next to quote is an edit button if you can edit and no button if you can't. If you can edit, then the edited message appears at the bottom of the post to indicated that it has been changed.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
P5-133XL said:
Tannin said:

I thought everyone was able to edit their own posts. I know that I can and all Hadruin did was edit his own post. Is is just administrators that can edit? It is simple, look at your own post and next to quote is an edit button if you can edit and no button if you can't. If you can edit, then the edited message appears at the bottom of the post to indicated that it has been changed.

Correction, I looked and could not edit my own post.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Just donated $5.00 to see the giver gone. It's not exactly going to change the world, but it's all that I can afford right now.

BTW Giver, this is a double post, so only count it once.

-Tim

The Giver

Will Rickards said:
I think The Giver has finally lost his mind.
If this is a ploy to get people to donate to SR, you're doing SR a disservice my friend.

The Giver fails to see how it could harm SR, in fact one would think that after 24hrs either Eugene or Davin or both have seen it. And certainly if they did not approve they would have locked or deleted the thread by now or at least let The Giver know.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'd like to say, The Giver, that your and Armen's poetry skills, however misplaced, are a perfect reason why no one should want you to go. Last August, adriel posted a thread on SR General called "Storage Prose". You probably could have made a wonderful contribution.

However, Armen's use of the sonnet form demonstrates a far greater mastery of form than your rhyming couplets. You'd do well to learn from him.

The Giver

Mercutio said:
I'd like to say, The Giver, that your and Armen's poetry skills, however misplaced, are a perfect reason why no one should want you to go. Last August, adriel posted a thread on SR General called "Storage Prose". You probably could have made a wonderful contribution.

However, Armen's use of the sonnet form demonstrates a far greater mastery of form than your rhyming couplets. You'd do well to learn from him.

Let me ask you a question... what kind of moron would waste his time writing sonnets to The Giver?
It's hilarious!

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
(One last time, while I am still a free man.)

Forgive me being a little slow to respond, noble Giver. Next time you post to bait me, please try not to do it over the Aussie weekend - I find it very difficult to get in much time on-line between Friday AM and Monday PM. (Hence those mysterious absences you once remarked on.)

Or indeed, next time you post to please me - for your contributions have been a kalidescope of everything that is good and bad about SR.

On Friday, when I first saw your post I thought "at last! A sensible way to send a donation to SR". I was unsure as to the merits of your peculiar way of promoting SR - after all, selfless as your current offer is, you yourself are one of the primary reasons for the decline of that place as a quality forum. But what the hell - is a good idea less good because the source of it is suspect? I think not.

So I logged on to American Express and try as I might I could not find a practical way send the funds through them. Maybe the American and Australian offices have different systems. Anyway, after 20 minutes or so I gave up. As for PayPal, forget it. There are only two words I could possibly use to describe my response to PainPal: no way.

Today I skipped lunch to go down to my bank and ask them what they could do. After 20 minutes in the queue at the enquiry counter I nearly said "to hell with it" and walked out again. But I didn't, and my patience was rewarded, eventually, when I found that I can have them draw me up a cheque drawn on one of their US affilliates, in US dollars, for $15 a pop.

Yippee!

I guess that they will rip me off with the exchange rate, but after all this is a bank we are talking about here. It don't matter what you do with your money - spend it, save it, deposit it, withdraw it, smoke it, shoot it, or shove it up your arse - the one thing you can be sure of is that the bank will rip you off.

So: here's the deal. Tommorow I'll go back down to the bank with $500. That's $500 weakling little Aussie dollars, but still, they add up to a tidy stack of Greenbacks - about 200 or 250 of them. And I'll get the bank to make the cheque out to Handruin. (I would have done it today, except that I couldn't remember Doug's last name, and they probably also want his address, color of eyes, mother's maiden name ... )

I'll send my cheque to Doug, and as soon as it arrives, he'll write out his own cheque for US$100 to Storage Review and send it to them. The balance he will keep to add to the Storage Forum war chest.

That's my part.

OK, it's not the $500 US you were asking for, but it's a pretty damn good offer just the same.

Now for your part:

I don't want you to go away. I don't want you to come back. I want you to promise that, every time you post here, you will use the sig that I assign to you.

That's right. Post as you like. Visit here or stay away as you please. Say whatever you want (subject only to the usual powers of the moderators). Just promise that you will use whatever sig I ask.

That's it. No strings, no caveats. Deal to end on 1st January 2003. You'll have to get yourself a throwaway email address, or I could private message you (whichever you prefer), and from time to time I'll tell you what your new sig will be.

To start with, it might be no sig at all - after all, it's well known that I have a personal fetish about long sigs taking up precious screen real estate and expensive bandwith.

Or I might change it to "The Giver is now a responsible member of this BBS", or even "The Giver is Tannin's hero". Who knows, it might even suit my whim to see that old familiar THE GIVER HAS SPOKEN!.... So let it be Written!.... So let it be Done! once again.

On the other hand, I might decide that it's time that you helped remind us all of the forum rules. In that case, your sig might read: Trolling is prohibited. Trolling is defined as a posting that baits others into argument by angering and/or insulting another participant.

So there you have it. Five hundred bucks on the line, and all you have to do is agree. Say the word (yes, for despite all that has passed between us, I firmly believe that your word is good) and I'll send the dollars by express air mail.

-----------------------------------------

In about ten minutes, I take up my new position as Storage Forum Chairman. That will mean, alas, that I'll feel obliged to post with moderation and good sense (as best I can) and try not to be outrageous. In fact I'll probably get some flak about this present post from the more conservative and sensible of my colleagues. But - damn it - I'll miss being free to post exactly as I like for the next four months or so until my term is up, and I wanted one last chance to run around and kick a few heads as in the old days.

Think of this post as my swan song, or as my "bucks party" the night before the wedding. Sure I'll do my best to be a good husband ... er ... chairman ... and come straight home from work and never even think of playing up. But I felt the need of one long last post with that satisfying touch of mild controversy that is, after all, my trademark. And who better to be the target of it than my perennial old foe, The Giver?

Who better to benefit from it than those two wonderful storage web sites, the Review and the Forum?

So what do you say, old friend and enemy?

Five hundred bucks, I choose your sig.

Do we have a deal?

Mercutio

That's the whole deal with the "admins" section. Tannin got elected "person to blame if you don't like something" a couple days ago. :)

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hang fire, I'll post the official details shortly, HD. Have to do some work first though. (If nothing else, I have to earn back some of that green stuff I just signed away in my bargain with The Giver!)

(Yes - he got back to me. We have a bargain!)

Mercutio

HellDiver said:
<cough> The admins section? :eek:

http://www.storageforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40

Or, if you don't want to click...

Tannin mailed a small group of people when it looked like SR was closing. This small group, plus Handruin, eventually made this site. We have our own little forum on this site where we mostly argue about democracy and semantics and other very boring things.

HellDiver

We have our own little forum on this site where we mostly argue about democracy and semantics and other very boring things.
Democracy? Some bloody democracy! When the right to elect the chairman of the board is limited to a small circle of self-proclaimed elite - that's not called democracy, that's called Communism! Haw ar yu duing, komrad Merkutio and Chairman of ze Party Tannin? Feirli vell, I presium?

;)

me

What is this storage?
Anyone else think that "Iron Mike Tyson" guy in the old SR forums is in fact "The Giver" reincarnated? I've only read a few of his posts, but it sure seems plausible to me.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
HellDiver said:
We have our own little forum on this site where we mostly argue about democracy and semantics and other very boring things.
Democracy? Some bloody democracy! When the right to elect the chairman of the board is limited to a small circle of self-proclaimed elite - that's not called democracy, that's called Communism! Haw ar yu duing, komrad Merkutio and Chairman of ze Party Tannin? Feirli vell, I presium?

;)

That's "Mr. Chaiman" to you HD! :D

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
me said:
Anyone else think that "Iron Mike Tyson" guy in the old SR forums is in fact "The Giver" reincarnated? I've only read a few of his posts, but it sure seems plausible to me.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. Why not plagiarize a technique used by his dear Australian friend? (Multiple personalities)

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Groltz said:
me said:

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. Why not plagiarize a technique used by his dear Australian friend? (Multiple personalities)

Hmmm... Tony originated that?

Groltz

So when is CNN Sport going to make an appearance with a long-winded lowdown on the "The Giver" situation? I haven't read one of his rants in quite some time.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Groltz said:
So when is CNN Sport going to make an appearance with a long-winded lowdown on the "The Giver" situation? I haven't read one of his rants in quite some time.

And this is a problem? :D

Groltz

flagreen said:
Groltz said:

And this is a problem? :D

I wouldn't call it a problem...Just was wondering when this facet of our friend's personality might raise his head.

...And look who member #65 is.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Apparently obscurity didn't turn out to be "forever" after all. :cry: