Happy Holidays (2015)

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Just like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and hope you enjoy a safe and pleasant holiday period.

For all others who also celebrate other events at this time I also wish a:

• Happy Hanukkah
  • Io, Saturnalia!
  • Happy and Joyful Kwanzaa
  • Happy Constitution Day
  • Joyful Feast of Winter Veil
  • Happy Malkh-Festival
  • Happy Festuvus
  • A peaceful Anastasia of Sirmium feast day
  • And reasons greeting for those that celebrate Newtonmas

PS. Apologies if I missed a holiday you celebrate.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I've just woken up on the 24th's morning and my coffee isn't finished yet. I had to double-check and yep, it's already Christmas in Australia.

What do you tell your children back there? The old fat guy with the raindeers makes sense here with our climate (although maybe not this year), but when it's summer time and no snowflake all year round, ...???

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Also, WTF, no DST in Brisbane, but DST everywhere else in Australia? That must be weird for internal commerce.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
What do you tell your children back there? The old fat guy with the raindeers makes sense here with our climate (although maybe not this year), but when it's summer time and no snowflake all year round, ...???

We have no snow or fat guys with reindeer in the Southland, but there still is still have Christmas. I've been in Australia on Christmas and it seemed normal to me.
I've also been in the Caribbean and in various places in Africa, etc. over Christmas as well.

All that Santa stuff is European. When I was stationed in West Germany/Germany they celebrated on Dec 6.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I see the discrepancy between the NORAD and the Google Santa trackers.

Stereodude

Not really a
Awesome! Please review!
Well, it puts out light and doesn't have the typical sickly blueish tint. The diffuser mode makes a decent lantern. The main beam has a pretty tight spot and throws pretty well outside. It would make a very solid camping light with its dual personality.

What else do you want to know?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Well, it puts out light and doesn't have the typical sickly blueish tint. The diffuser mode makes a decent lantern. The main beam has a pretty tight spot and throws pretty well outside. It would make a very solid camping light with its dual personality.

What else do you want to know?

Sounds good so far. What about the value? Is it worth the price?

Stereodude

Not really a
Sounds good so far. What about the value? Is it worth the price?
I think so, but at $120 most people probably wouldn't agree. I wasn't helped by the fact that no US dealers sell the neutral white version. I bought it from a Canadian dealer since that seemed to be my best option.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I think so, but at $120 most people probably wouldn't agree. I wasn't helped by the fact that no US dealers sell the neutral white version. I bought it from a Canadian dealer since that seemed to be my best option.

$120 is pricey and I agree most people would balk at such a "high" price for a 4" flashlight but quality costs and you get what you pay for. How are the accessories, specifically the "Mil-Spec Para-cord Lanyard w/ quick attachment clip" and the "Heavy duty nylon holster w/ self-retention device and open-top design?"

I wouldn't mind paying $120 for a light, but it better be build to a high standard from quality materials, have some longevity and not seem "cheap" in any way. Dealer links?

Thanks for the info.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, it puts out light and doesn't have the typical sickly blueish tint. The diffuser mode makes a decent lantern. The main beam has a pretty tight spot and throws pretty well outside. It would make a very solid camping light with its dual personality. What else do you want to know?
Curious how it compares to my $80 Sunwayman D40 neutral. As best I can recollect, it's throw is 315 meters, 980 lumens in turbo mode, IPX-8, 4 x AA. I'm quite happy with it, but would have loved to have the spot, flood and spot+flood combo yours has.

How is the run time with 3 x AA? Does it get hot? Heavy? Well balanced? Easy to use?

Stereodude

Not really a
$120 is pricey and I agree most people would balk at such a "high" price for a 4" flashlight but quality costs and you get what you pay for. How are the accessories, specifically the "Mil-Spec Para-cord Lanyard w/ quick attachment clip" and the "Heavy duty nylon holster w/ self-retention device and open-top design?"

I wouldn't mind paying $120 for a light, but it better be build to a high standard from quality materials, have some longevity and not seem "cheap" in any way. Dealer links?

Thanks for the info.
The lanyard is is a bit beefier than the typical lanyard that comes with a light. It doesn't have a nylon attachment loop. It has a tiny nickel sized carabiner on the end to attach it to the light. This of course will scratch up the light. The holster is basically rigid. The light only goes into it with the reflector & lens facing up. It's pretty tight and you have to work a bit to get it in and out. The light certainly isn't going to fall out, but I'm not sure you could extract it in one quick motion either.

Curious how it compares to my $80 Sunwayman D40 neutral. As best I can recollect, it's throw is 315 meters, 980 lumens in turbo mode, IPX-8, 4 x AA. I'm quite happy with it, but would have loved to have the spot, flood and spot+flood combo yours has.

How is the run time with 3 x AA? Does it get hot? Heavy? Well balanced? Easy to use?
My Sunwayman D40A is a cool white (XM-L2). :( The D40A has a much less intense / broader / more poorly defined hotspot. The EagleTac is going to throw much better outside due to the tighter brighter hotspot. The D40A is a bit longer & larger in diameter. The weight feels similar.

Run times are listed on the website. It warms up pretty slowly on the max setting. I put it on turbo (spot mode only) and set it on the table. After several minutes it was a little warm to the touch, but obviously it kept getting warmer. After a few more minutes it was starting to get hot.

Changing modes from spot to diffuser to spot + diffuser it a tad awkward since you end up having to temporarily engage turbo to switch modes, but I'm not entirely sure how it could have been done better.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks. I hardly use my Sunwayman. What I use everyday (it's on my bed stand) is the Zebralight SC52w Neutral. So small, yet powerful with multiple light levels. Just perfect for my needs.