French author in court for criticizing religion

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
The parts of his defence that I can verify for myself - notably the great variation within the Bible from one author to another - ring true. Accordingly I am inclined to accept his assertions on the other matters.

(Ahh yes, Jubal Harshaw. I grew up reading Heinlein thet way that previous generations grew up on Christopher Robyn or Swallows and Amazons and the current mind-blighted generation grew up Ronald McDonald and The Simpsons.)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I fail to see the point to bring someone in court for criticizing what is, all summed up, a book of tales and legends. Because that's what the Bible is. Ever noticed similarities between the Silmarion and the Ancient Testament?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Tolkein might not have been the xtian apologist that CS Lewis was, but they were trying to hit the same mark. I'm not surprised at those simlarities at all.

And yes, Tannin, yours was not the only generation to enjoy Heinlein. Although I really have a bit of a hard time with some of his viewpoints (cf Starship Troopers).

Personally, I think there's a lot of truth in the basis for the man's argument, politically incorrect as it might be (I think all religions are pretty silly, myself, so I'm not going to argue the actual merit of his opinion), but can anyone imagine someone being taken to court for saying bad things about Jedi in Austrailia?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
CougTek said:
I fail to see the point to bring someone in court for criticizing what is, all summed up, a book of tales and legends. Because that's what the Bible is. Ever noticed similarities between the Silmarion and the Ancient Testament?

So you've carefully studied the Hebrew scriptures?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Heinlein & Larry Niven are my two favorite SF authors. I have many of Heinlein's works, from the juveniles like Podkayne of Mars to the mature audience titles like Stranger, Job, etc. Lazarus Long stories are almost always enjoyable. I was less enthused, though, about his works that came out around The Number of the Beast and later. While the stories were still fine, I found that the use of sex was more & more gratuitous and sometimes was a distraction. And this even though I was in my teens & 20s at the time. Grumbles from the Grave was an interesting read to understand RAH himself & his spin on the publishing process.

Niven's works come at you from a different approach than Heinlein, but he is still a great storyteller. I especially like his desire to make the SF as close to S vs. F as possible. A World Out of Time was the novel that got me into SF to begin with way back in 7th/8th grade. And if you hadn't read it, go read Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex; its a 'serious' take on Superman & Lois Lane trying to concieve a child; very funny. It's a short story included in one of his anthologies.

To stay on topic, my American view is that the French author is perfectly entitled to criticize any religion he chooses, including his own. It is too bad the French seem to think there's a problem with this and that they are actually banding together to fight him. Here, it would be the reverse: the ACLU would be right beside him defending him 'til the last breath.

- Fushigi

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Buck said:
So you've carefully studied the Hebrew scriptures?
Nope. I just had to learn the big lines back when I was in little school. Didn't really had the choice too, unfortunately.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
A provocative French writer who called Islam "the stupidest religion" has denied inciting racism but argued in court the Koran was inferior to the Bible as a literary work.

Exactly what does this have to do with racism? To the best of my knowledge "Islam" isn't a race, it's a religion. If they're going to take him to court, it should at least be on charges that make sense. Typical lawyer speak-dealing with emotion rather than facts, and using hot button words like racism to try to sway the jury.

I seem to recall something about the right to free speech that allows this person to write whatever he wants. Calling Islam stupid certainly isn't equivalent to abusing your free speech right by yelling "fire" in a theater or "bomb" in an airport. And I really think it's long past time that the general public sees religion for what it really is-a means of social control. I'm surprised in the year 2002 that many of the world's population still believes in some form of religion.

Is it just me, or are there more and more restrictions on our freedom every year from knee-jerk politicians who think that if only they can pass enough laws, nobody will ever get injured, nobody will ever have their feelings hurt, and everything will be some awful politically correct utopia like in the movie "Demolition Man"? If society ever gets like that, I think I'll commit suicide. The way the freedoms are being removed, a bit at a time, is particularly insidious, sort of like the crab in the pot of boiling water analogy. Since the water temperature goes up slowly, it doesn't notice anything until it's too late.

If I have any say in the matter one day these lawyers and politicians will go to trial for the harm they've caused society, and face the death penalty if they lose.