Blackened October/November Deals

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Is there anything good nowadays? I plan to not be around during the traditional BF Friday-Monday period.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Black Friday was always a prime time to jack everything up 50% prior to it so people felt like they were getting deals. Better to just buy something when you need it vs. buying at a particular time of year.

LunarMist

I always seem to pay full price right before an item goes on a sale. :(

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The sales started in the middle of October. I've noticed that RAM, consumer SSDs and Zen 4 CPUs are exceptionally cheap right now. I'd like to see a current-gen GPU go on sale for a reasonable amount of money but I suspect there's a whole world of people who want nothing more than a $500 RTX 4070.

LunarMist

Hard drives have been few and far between and of course that's what I was looking for this year. 😟
I could build a really reasonable new system for the CPU/RAM/SSD, but the uncertainty over future upgrades creates a pause.
When do we know if AM5 has a future? I would not want to buy Ryzen 4th chipset and find it is uselessly obsoleted in the near future. 😠

Last edited:

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I frankly would not buy anything on the promise of future proofing or an upgrade path, because as Intel has proven several times, upgrade paths are a lie. Buy what you want now for the performance you can buy today, and treat anything else like a bonus. AM4 is an aberration, I believe, not where the industry as a whole is going. I think AMD needed AM4 to be largely backwards compatible so they could make the value argument for people who had bad memories of the FX era, and now that they're more competitive they don't need to be as pro-consumer.

LunarMist

Then I would be better off buying a MAC that's not upgradable from the start. :(

Even Intel allows one CPU upgrade sometimes. If the AM5 is a dead-end, then I'll probably just get a 15th gen Intel if the performance is improved. I'll probably have to use Windows 11 by then anyway.

Mercutio

I'm just not enough of a fan of the P-core E-core nonsense to look at Intel. I understand why it makes sense for gamers. I am not that.

LunarMist

Why is everyone using the Fresco Logic FL1100EX chips? Whatever happened to VIA and Reneses, etc.?

Mercutio

At a guess, Via and Renasas didn't care to build a reference board or offer a newer chipset? For USB 3.x, I think ASmedia is the most common chipset.

LunarMist

Sorry, I'm somehow moving with the threads. ???
I swear I hate the stupid micro ATX form factor. :(