Any old Miniscribes?

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
Just wondering if you all would happen to have or know where I could obtain old Miniscribe drives or parts. Working or non-working, doesn't matter. I need PCBs for a couple 8438 or 8425s. Ebay is obviously the wrong place to look, as they are outrageously priced.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm afraid I don't go back that far. Just looking around, the prices are up there ($300+). How tricky would it be to modify the system to operate on newer hardware?

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
Hey thanks for the reply, D. Actually, it's more for nostalgia purposes that I want to get these drives working. I'll just keep my eyes open.

speaking of making more modern hardware work in older computers, specifically the PC-XT, I was shocked to learn they are actually manufacturing XT IDE interface cards on a small scale. Take a look here: http://wiki.vintage-computer.com/index.php/XTIDE_project

So I got myself one of those, and it works wonderfully. Currently it can only recognize up to 8GiB of any drive you put in it, but it's better than anything else I've found out there. And really that's not too much of a limitation at this point, considering how cheap <8GB hard drives are.

GAJM

What is this storage?
Miniscribe MS-8425

Hello,

I've an Miniscribe MS-8425 21,4 Mb 5Mbit/sec MFM
From 9 nov 1988
it's still good
I live in the Netherlands
Interested?
Though some privacy-problems to solve

h U
:beer: