4k TVs and Monitors

ddrueding

Fixture
I was just wondering if a 4K TV display could be used on the wall to display photos worth a damn?

"Worth a damn" is a bit vauge for this kind of thing. They can display pictures. The DPI will be lower than just about any print but may be high enough for most applications (depending on screen size). Color gamut will almost certainly be worse than good prints.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
"Worth a damn" is a bit vauge for this kind of thing. They can display pictures. The DPI will be lower than just about any print but may be high enough for most applications (depending on screen size). Color gamut will almost certainly be worse than good prints.

The gamut of most prints is usually less than a fine display. 4K is ~8.8MP, so that is more than enough info for a standard photo.
If the color is crap, then it's not of much use.

Last edited:

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Wait, they're still in the "beta" phase. You'll get burned if you buy one now. There are still several HDR formats the current sets don't support. HDMI 2.1 is around the corner.

Probably very good advice. I was mostly just toying with the idea of a 4k TV and was wondering what was up. Thanks.