3D XPoint Memory

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
3D XPoint Memory. "The new 3D XPoint (pronounced "cross-point") technology promises speed and endurance up to 1000X faster than NAND, and 10x the density."

Short article on [H]ard|OCP here.

Intel link here.

Micron link here.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I won't get too excited about it until I can a product based on this tech. The miracle storage tech has been announced too often in the past.

Handruin

Administrator
If they can build and mass produce what they claim, I'll be very excited. I like that they actually have silicon made which is a big step in making this happen.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
This is the same tech they announced a breakthrough for many years ago. It seems to be PCM or something very similar. So I'm very tempted to believe this is finally working. But until we get some actual performance numbers I'll keep my expectations in check.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I suppose it will require Windows 10 drivers or something.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Yeah Lunar, it probably will. They have to force people onto the latest and greatest some way or another, and what better way than to force people onto older tech if using older OSes?

LunarMist

I have one spared mainboard, so I hope to make it few more years on the DDR4 before the cross pointers take over.

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
https://arstechnica.com/information...optane-ssd-375gb-that-you-can-also-use-as-ram; "Intel announced today the first Optane-branded product using its new 3D XPoint memory: the catchily named Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X. It's a 375GB SSD on a PCIe card. Initial limited availability starts today, for $1520...". (Also posted in the SSDs - State of the Product? thread.)

"The P4800X can be used as a regular PCIe attached SSD, but Intel has developed something it calls "Memory Drive Technology" that allows the P4800X, when used in conjunction with an appropriate chipset and processor (which means you'll have to use a Xeon processor), can be used as if it were RAM. Optane's latency and bandwidth are both worse than that of DRAM, but the density is higher, and the price substantially lower."

LunarMist

https://arstechnica.com/information...optane-ssd-375gb-that-you-can-also-use-as-ram; "Intel announced today the first Optane-branded product using its new 3D XPoint memory: the catchily named Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X. It's a 375GB SSD on a PCIe card. Initial limited availability starts today, for $1520...". (Also posted in the SSDs - State of the Product? thread.)

"The P4800X can be used as a regular PCIe attached SSD, but Intel has developed something it calls "Memory Drive Technology" that allows the P4800X, when used in conjunction with an appropriate chipset and processor (which means you'll have to use a Xeon processor), can be used as if it were RAM. Optane's latency and bandwidth are both worse than that of DRAM, but the density is higher, and the price substantially lower."

The latency of high IHOPs is crazy.