Windows Update Down

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
A few weeks ago, I started having a problem with Windows Update on my one Win PC. The periodic check says:

1707333725825.png
But on "patch Tuesdays", when I click "Check for updates", it gives an error:

1707333844758.png

Retry or rebooting doesn't help. I tried the Troubleshoot "advanced Windows Update" tool to fix it, but it doesn't find any problems.

I tried googling for the problem, and got a couple of links:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...e-update-400faa27-9343-461c-ada9-24c8229763bf

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...80070643/745e0b71-f479-44e6-bb3e-47093c5aa5eb

Neither of those solved the problem.

I know I can't update to Win 11, but I was hoping to get a little more time in Windows on this PC before I upgrade it to Ubuntu.

I don't use it a lot, but I do have a VM running PiHole there for my little home network. And I like the very useful CanoScan Toolbox for my old LIDE 60 scanner, so I can pick the output - direct printing, JPEG, PDF, etc.

I would welcome any suggestions to fix it.

Thanks!

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I've been getting an error for the below update only one every system I have with Win 10. All the other updates are working. I have no idea why and do not care to investigate. Are you able to do other updates?

2024-01 Security Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034441)

Newtun

It does appear that I get other updates installed, such as Windows Defender definition-files.

LunarMist

SymptomNext step

When you try to apply this update on a PC that has no recovery partition, the update is unsuccessful and you receive the error 0x80070643 ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE.You do not need this update if the PC does not have a recovery partition. In this case, the error can be safely ignored.

We are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

I believe the issue for me is that I generally delete the recovery partition as it is noxious and I use Macriums for any recovery of the C: drive including the EFI partition. I hope they eliminate the error message soon.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
A tool I use when I run across systems with update issues is WSUSOffline. You can run it and dump all the updates for whatever combination of OS, platform and architecture(s) you like. I keep the files on a flash drive. Since the files then execute locally, I typically run in to fewer issues and it's great for the day you find a notebook that hasn't seen a completed update since 2018.

Newtun

Thanks, Lunar and Merc, for your responses.

I did remove the recovery partition(s!). That was from the first link I included. When I went in to look at the partitioning, there were 3 "recovery partitions", including a tiny one that I first removed. Then after that and the other link didn't fix the problem, I removed the other two.

I hope that Next step will be resolved by MS.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
This isn't entirely relevant to your issue but the Sergei Strelec Boot Media you can find on MajorGeeks.com includes a tool that will re-write a Windows EFI partition and another to edit Boot entries on Windows if for example you wind up wanting to revert back from using Grub as your primary boot loader.

If you're messing around by deleting partitions and recreating them, these are also good things to know exist.

LunarMist

Thanks, Lunar and Merc, for your responses.

I did remove the recovery partition(s!). That was from the first link I included. When I went in to look at the partitioning, there were 3 "recovery partitions", including a tiny one that I first removed. Then after that and the other link didn't fix the problem, I removed the other two.

I hope that Next step will be resolved by MS.
I was still waiting for MS to fix bugs in XP64 well after it was obsolete.
Maybe they will just tell us to use Win 12 if that comes out when 10 is delinquent in Oct 2025.