Recent content by sedrosken

  1. sedrosken

    Something Random

    The T23 wasn't available until mid-2001, and its max was 1GB. (The T20 through T22 had a max of 512MB.) 1GB or even 512MB was still gobs and heaps and tons of RAM in 2000-2001, so you very likely still had plenty of headroom with that. I would have killed for any kind of portable computing...
  2. sedrosken

    Something Random

    Considering the limited video chip and the fact that the fastest chip I'm likely to be able to run is a 1.0GHz (anything faster is a Tualatin and not directly compatible), I'm not too fussed. For what I'm going to do with it, 700MHz is plenty, given the rest of the hardware kneecapping it. I...
  3. sedrosken

    Something Random

    Friend of mine is ditching a ton of his e-waste, so now it gets to be my e-waste. At least his more or less works, and what may or may not will at least be useful for parts, unlike a lot of the junk that litters my home office that I haven't gotten around yet to recycling. Laptops. I'm getting...
  4. sedrosken

    Something Random

    In retro build news, my Pentium MMX is finally stable. Biostar MB-8500TTD paired with the custom J.3 patch to fix several bugs with the IDE controller -- and an EEPROM with an actually writable config memory portion -- has this thing rock solid, even at a 75MHz bus. 83 can boot into Windows and...
  5. sedrosken

    I do want to buy a used car

    Sure starting to wish I had the hybrid. 😅
  6. sedrosken

    Something Random

    As much as I view AI as a copyright infringement machine, I do have Claude Pro (at least for the rest of the month, unsure if I'll renew) and I have used it for automating some stuff like writing out SQL to make new items on a batch basis (when I need lots of a similar thing, I'll make the first...
  7. sedrosken

    Selfhosting fun

    I used to use mRemoteNG for that, and it's a native Windows application. I'm not actually sure if that's still developed. On Linux I tend to gravitate toward Remmina -- it's maybe a little less fancy, but it works fine. It's good that something exists that's cross-platform and runs in a browser...
  8. sedrosken

    I do want to buy a used car

    My 2018 RAV4 manages about 26mpg combined typically with my Florida Driving(tm). If I do a lot of highway running or absolutely utterly baby it to hypermile I can eke out about 30-33mpg, which for a car of that size with nothing special in the way of engineering is pretty okay. Mine is the last...
  9. sedrosken

    Something Random

    After using a 27 inch 1080p monitor (typically I top out at 22" for 1080p displays) and really enjoying it, I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that my vision must be degrading more quickly than I thought.
  10. sedrosken

    Selfhosting fun

    Think I ended up using a pair of Inspur cards using an Intel X540T2 or whatever. The stock cooling was pathetic so I slapped a fan meant for a 3D printer on them. Now I can't recall if the performance I got was less than expected due to talking to a 3-HDD RAID and it just couldn't saturate it...
  11. sedrosken

    Something Random

    Yeah, I myself run a Surface Laptop Go 2 as my personal portable computing device of choice -- much less fancy specs, only an 1135g7/16/512 and the cooling won't even let it scale the same as my old Elitebook 840G8 that had the same CPU -- but it has a 1536x1024 3:2 display and it is amazing to...
  12. sedrosken

    Here is a thread to talk about gaming

    Got the dock in yesterday, although my MST DisplayPort hub isn't in just yet. I just about used up every single USB port on the damn thing getting my DAC/amp and XLR interface hooked up, but in actual use, it's definitely a bit speedier than the 3770K. Obviously for games the sheer power on tap...
  13. sedrosken

    Here is a thread to talk about gaming

    Just a reminder written in blood that we're all supposed to be using AUR packages at our own risk and that we ought to be auditing everything we install from there. Arch/Cachy just plain has more in its repos than Debian does, as far as stuff I actually use, anyway -- and those, at least thus...
  14. sedrosken

    Here is a thread to talk about gaming

    I plan to actually use it like a regular computer when it's not gaming, so I'm going to make more use of the AUR. I used it all the time in the past for installing certain games or source ports.
  15. sedrosken

    Here is a thread to talk about gaming

    At present, the handheld is due back in sometime tomorrow. It's coming FedEx, which means I should actually probably expect it to be delayed another week and be smashed to bits when it gets here. ;) I think I massively overstated how limited the Deck was, actually -- yes, the Deck was kind of...
Top