Wrong Drive

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I ordered one of these drives a while ago.

Now the reviews indicate it is not a retail model and that the specs. are erroneous. :( Am I screwed? It's probably not worth the hassle of return shipping and the restocking fee.

ddrueding

Fixture
The specs now show 5400RPM, so they seem to be aware of the issue. I'd drop them an e-mail at least. I wouldn't accept having to pay for restocking, but you might get stuck with shipping.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
OEM is not an issue with Samsung. All Samsung drives that are not purchased as part of a complete system from a Tier-1 vendor carry a three year warranty.

We've had this discussion before.

LunarMist

Sure, but Egg HD shipping is hit or miss. I ordered a few other items too, and I can just picture the drive at the bottom of a large box.

ddrueding

Fixture
I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Re: Newegg shipping:

Hit: Order larger quantity of drives
Miss: Order small number of drives

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If you're storing multimedia files or backups in some appropriate format (.tib, etc), it probably won't.

I'll probably move to 2TB 5400rpm drives when they become available from Samsung for around $100, just on the basis of the lower heat and the presumption of improved reliability from the slower drives.

LunarMist

TIB files are not restorable from my WD 1.5 or 2TB drives with TI 2009. Have they worked for anyone? I have not done anything yet with the Samsung drive. Fortunately it was well-centered in the shipping box and in a clamshell.

LunarMist

#^!@ It must be some special problem with the motherboard or controllers.
TI 2009 also crashes the whole computer and reboots in XP64, so I have to use the USB version.

LunarMist

Is there any reason not to buy several more of the Samsung drive for archives? It looks like the current best "bang for the buck."

LunarMist

What is the best method for thoroughly testing these drives for defects, both reading and writing?

LunarMist

I think one of the four drives of the second batch is defective, but it is strange. Do I need to prove anything or just return it? I've never had anything replaced, only returned for refund -15%. How slow is the replacement process?

Last edited:

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Lunar, these are brilliant drives for the sort of task you have in mind. Big, cheap, ultra-quiet, low power, cool running, and amply fast enough for archival work. I've been progressively replacing all my Samsung 500GB, 750GB and 1TB 7200s with them. Couldn't be happier.

LunarMist

Mine are all separate. I do not trust RAID. Three are for archival storage.

I may wait for the 2TB 7200 drives to hit to the market before doing anything else. I don't know about Samsung drives.

paugie

Storage is cool
Lunar, these are brilliant drives for the sort of task you have in mind. Big, cheap, ultra-quiet, low power, cool running, and amply fast enough for archival work. I've been progressively replacing all my Samsung 500GB, 750GB and 1TB 7200s with them. Couldn't be happier.

Just curious, Tony, do you get them for the price newegg posts, i.e. 100/ea if you get 2 drives or more?
They are not available here. I suppose there's no market for them, most people I know do not have enough files to fill up a 160gb drive.

LunarMist

I sent the POS Samsnug off to the Egg. I'm not sure that it was worth the shipping cost+hassle, but I was at the depot for another reason. I hope they replace it with a new one.

LunarMist

Then you need a better controller. There's nothing wrong with the various RAID flavors. How they are implemented, however, can vary greatly.

RAID is too costly and does nothing for backups, so it is an increased expense all around.

LunarMist

FWIW, I bought 7 of your wrong drives. IOmeter is hammering on 6 of them right now.

I hope you test every single sector. They should be more thorough at the factory, but every 1000 won saved is probably critical to their business. :tdown:

Stereodude

Not really a
I hope you test every single sector. They should be more thorough at the factory, but every 1000 won saved is probably critical to their business. :tdown:
I did a full format on the one and the other 6 went through a full init by the RAID card. None of them complained about bad sectors.

ddrueding

Fixture
I use RAID primarily because it makes a large amount of contiguous space available for easy file management. Some redundancy/availability is nice, and the speed boost is always appreciated, but it just makes file management easier.

LunarMist

I sent the POS Samsnug off to the Egg. I'm not sure that it was worth the shipping cost+hassle, but I was at the depot for another reason. I hope they replace it with a new one.

The drive was received and accepted. There is some hope for a better replacement.