It's a wonder
I can think at all
And though my lack of education
Hasn't hurt me none
I can read the writing on the wall

Kodachrome
You give us those nice bright colors
You give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah!

I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

paugie

Storage is cool
Mike J (THE onlinephotographer) said it was "However, it is inherently slow and very difficult to manufacture, and devilishly intricate to process"
Was only able to use ektachrome, Kodachrome being beyond what my 30yearold pockets could afford. And I was an expat working in Saudi Arabia at the time, using Nikon FE2's.
Ah but I was able to buy a 2nd hand copy of Paul Simon's vinyl album which featured the song. It also had other great hits like "250 ways to leave your lover".

ddrueding

Fixture
I've never had any kind of filter before, and wanted to see what effect it had. It also seemed to help when there was a lot of mixed shade.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I've never had any kind of filter before, and wanted to see what effect it had. It also seemed to help when there was a lot of mixed shade.

I'd recommend a GND instead, or occasionally even a polarizer to manage contrast, depending on the scene. The reason to use a straight ND is to drop the EV so you can use slower shutter speeds or a wider aperture as required... it's not very effective as a contrast management tool.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture

The main uses of moderate ND filters such as 4x (0.6 ND) and 8x (0.9 ND) are (1) to allow the use of wider apertures in bright light without exceeding the maximum shutter speed, and (2) to allow the use of long shutter speeds without exceeding the minimum (or practical min. for diffraction) aperture. The former is of lower importance on SLRs with fast top shutter speeds (past 25 years or so), but is more useful for video/cine and medium/large format lenses with leaf shutters. About the only subjects I use ND filters on are moving water, e.g., waterfalls.

LunarMist

Oh, I was very slow in completing the post. I'm not sure how much a GND will help David, who seems to often shoot in bad lighting and use HDR.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Did not do a search on this looong thread :p.

Found this article about BS'in rather interesting (ok, that is not very informative or meaningful...but it *is* <140, w00t!):

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/guest/physical_limits.html

For dd, in short, this means with your crop factor sensors, you should always shot <f8 if you want the sharpest image... ie. don't worry about MP's/resolution, because without a FF sensor(1Ds or 5Dmk II, or better yet a Nikon D700 :D) you're SOL with diffraction limitations.

Smaller sensors for interchangeable lens cameras

The pixel size for a smaller sensor is about 20% smaller, so diffraction effects begin to be visible at about f/7 or f/8 instead of f/10.
Ready to junk your camera's yet? :p

By analysis in link above, the only worthwhile PnS is the Panny LX-3 with it's restricted 24-60mm lens. You can just throw away *all* of the other PnS cameras, yes?

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
well it seems manufacturers are having all kinds of difficulty putting a DX/crop sensor in even a Micro 4/3rds cam, so this rumor *has* to be bogus, correct?

DX in a P1 sized Nikon PnS digicam? I think it's more likely a wish list (link), speculating like all do.

Still, even *if* possible, 12MP D300 like sensor in a PnS- that would be a landmark development! And I need to buy a PnS, like yesterday...what happens if I plunk down $400 now and then a year later it's utterly junk if a true P1DX materializes???

http://nikonrumors.com/2009/07/08/nikon-roadmap-leaked.aspx

A 1080p D4x sounds like da bomb (other than it's too big/heavy, what no rumors of a D90x, with full 1080p + stereo, full AF on a newly designed lens for that purpose, just like the Panny GH1?)....think Nikon will try for the 1st dSLR body to sell for >$10k (USD) ?

LunarMist

How can I photograph my Canon equipment without using any of it? I don't even have a place for that. Maybe I should buy a white sheet and try the big sofa?

LunarMist

You could take a picture with your phone ;) Or buy some Nikon kit to photograph the Canon stuff...

Oh, I have still have some Nikons but I don't want to deal with film.

My cell phone and Blackberry do not have cameras. Cameras are not allowed in many facilities and it is a hassle to leave them with security, etc. IQ would be crap anyway.

LunarMist

I'm no longer equipped for any studio/setup work like I did in the mid 70's to the early 80's.

LunarMist

I can't find any white muslims either. I'll have to buy one this week.

LunarMist

It is a cloth like a sheet, but larger and sturdier with holes for hanging.

ddrueding

Fixture
I haven't done any "studio" shooting in over 4 years. Studio is in quotes because it was with a PnS, but one of my pictures did win an award and was published.

paugie

Storage is cool
Hello, all.
FWIW, you might want to take a look at my "newest" pictures. They were hastily posted. Did not/have not had the time since then to really pick out the ones I liked. Just scanned the 300 or so pix for what seemed sharp enough and un-blurred enough for posting. The guy with the small pony tail was my high school classmate. They sang 60's/70's stuff.

http://paugie.multiply.com/photos/album/25/Photos_of_Lyncirs_Bands_1st_Gig