When to Build New System

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Ah, I see, the 20,000 volt cable. This is what happens when you give your Igor the afternoon off.

Yikes! That could be a painful electrocution. I've had enough of those already. :blue:

I'm quite sure the cables are connected to NMT 12VDC.

LunarMist

You blew some caps as well? The fluid inside does stink...

Oh no, I surely hope not! I think it was just melting resins and contacts, but perhaps a few traces on the boards. The other 5 SATA ports are fine as far as I can tell.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
LunarMist said: Yikes! That could be a painful electrocution. I've had enough of those already.

Wikipedia said:
Electrocution is the stopping of life (determined by a stopped heart) by any type of electric shock. In the vernacular, the term electrocution is used to mean:
  • death, murder or suicide by electric shock
  • deliberate execution by electric shock, usually involving an electric chair; the word "electrocution" is a portmanteau for "electrical execution"

LunarMist

I thought electrocution was survivable. Apparently not. :DOH:

Adcadet

Storage Freak
From Marrian Webster's medical dictionary:
Main Entry: elec·tro·cute
Pronunciation: i-'lek-tr&-"kyüt
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -cut·ed; -cut·ing
1 : to execute (a criminal) by electricity
2 : to kill by a shock of electricity
- elec·tro·cu·tion /-"lek-tr&-'kyü-sh&n/ noun

But I've heard "electrocution" refer to a non-lethal accident. I suppose "electrical injruy" is the preferred term, and indeed, that is what Tintinalli's calls it.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Just in case anyone didn't get it:

Execution -> Electrocution

A word coined when Edison was promoting the use of AC electricity to execute criminals, hoping that would place his DC technology in a better light.

Common usage has extended it to mean any death caused by electricity (apart from lightning).

Most people only receive an electric shock, although Adcadet's electrical injury sounds pretty accurate for what a hospital would see.

LunarMist

OK, OK. I've been accidentally electroshocked quite a few times, mostly in the 70s and 80s. The buzzing is painful and the strong ones through both arms taste bad and produce a very unpleasant emotional feeling for a minute of two. :shaking: Those white burn marks are strange too. It is best to wear gloves or be really careful.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm still trying to work out what "the wrong cable" is that you managed to plug into a SATA drive. :scratch:

LunarMist

I played around with fans until I was winded in the face and lost part of. It was painfully obvious that adding more fans increases the noise and improvements in cooling reach diminishing returns. I settled on the following: Front and top 140mm OEM as supplied, 1100 RPM 120mm side fan added, 120mm rear fan replaced with a 600-2000 RPM PWM model tied to the CPU fan speed. It gets louder under load but cooler than previously and is fine when the system is idling most of the time.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Apropos of nothing, I have three different people asking me about quiet servers right now.
So I'm going to get to play around with that a lot.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Yes and no. I'm going to use commodity parts, but in a perfect world I'd be looking for things like redundant PSUs so I can build a proper server system.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Apropos of nothing, I have three different people asking me about quiet servers right now.
So I'm going to get to play around with that a lot.

The biggest problems is the multitude of small, high rpm fans in most server cases. For a datacenter, no problem. But for the corner of an occupied office? Supermicro would certainly be a prime contender for loudest case.

There is a baby IBM Bladecenter that can have a "muffler" type device installed, not sure how quiet that makes it. You've then moved into IBM blades, and away from off the shelf hardware and pricing. Can't beat the 4 hour support tho.