Stiff upper lipp...

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Since we are honoured by so many Australians here, could someone please enlighten me as to what "stiff upper lipp" means/refers to? I'm referring to a song from AC/DC btw.

Don't know if this is an Australian thing or just a thing from the English language.

Gotta go find the lyrics to that song....

Thanks!

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
That is a bit difficult to put into words but the essential meaning is to:

Not lose one's resolve.

Not waver from one's goal.

Forge ahead with one's ambitions in a time of challenge.

Lastly, I found this in an online dictionary: "An attitude of determined endurance or restraint in the face of adversity."

---Steve

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Steve's definition is good. But seeing as I wrote the rest of this already, I'll post it anyway.

It's an English thing, JoJo - by which I mean "English English", as opposed to "American English" or "Australian English". I'm not sure where it originally came from, but it refers to the traditional ability of an English gentleman to bear up under pain or pressure and not reveal any weakness. It is pretty much obsolete now, more used in jest or parody than in real life.

When a child is about to cry and is trying hard not to, usually the giveaway is that his upper lip starts to quiver. Shortly after that, he bursts into tears completely. (I suspect that there is a sort of reflex action here - once your lip starts to quiver, it seems to trigger the whole waterworks.)

So, the advice to keep a stiff upper lip, no doubt, began as something that you would say to help a child avoid bursting into tears - especially a boy child, more especially one from the upper classes, and probably just after you discovered him doing something naughty and just before you give him six of the best. (i.e., a beating with a cane.) Indeed, you are probably as concerned that the child take his punishment in a "proper, manly way" and thus earn both his own and your respect, as you are with the misbehaviour that prompted the punishment in the first place.

But it came to be something that would be said between adults. It's easy to imagine, say, one military officer saying it to another just before they do something especially dangerous or difficult (leading a charge, perhaps), or more commonly as helpful, manly advice to a fellow gentleman who has just recieved bad news - perhaps his wife has left him or his child died.

"Well, there is nothing for it, Old Chap, you'll just have to keep a stiff upper lip."

This means, in the classic understated English way, "I sympathise with you, and by reffering to this childish way of not showing your feelings in this light-hearted manner, I am inviting you too to make light of it (as a gentleman should), and I am reinforcing in you our shared value - viz, that it is unimportant what one actually feels, but one must on no account allow one's personal feelings to show on one's face. One may lose one's loved ones, go bankrupt, suffer dreadful physical pain - and these are all things that one would rather not have happen, of course - but the really important thing is keep up appearances. We can't put on a bad show here, by Jove. Honour of the Regiment and all that, what? Care for another pink gin, old chap?"

They are a strange people, the English.In this enigmatic phrase there is a lot to be learned about their obsession with appearances, with never showing emotion - and with doing the right thing no matter what. I don't think it is going too far to say that here we see both the greatness of the British Empire and its central, essential weakness.

slo crostic

Learning Storage Performance
Hi I'm new to this forum and thought I might be able to offer an answer from a different perspective.
The definition that tea gave was spot on the mark, although I believe there is another side to this answer.
AC/DC are quite well known for using double meanings in their song titles. For example; "she's got the jack", which refers to a woman with gonorrhea, jack being slang for clap; "big balls", which is ,and isn't, about ballroom dancing; "whole lotta rosie", which is about a portly sized prostitute, and quite a few more (I'm sure you get the idea).
The other way of looking at it is stiff up her lip :eek:

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hi Slo Crostic, and welcome aboard.

Being a little older and less naive than Tea, I am indeed getting the idea. As to whether this is a good thing or not .... hmmmm. I'm afraid that the phrase "you'll just have to keep a stiff upper lip, Old Bean" will never seem quite the same again. :wink:

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I am indeed, Slo, but perhaps I should let Tea speak for herself, which she does in this thread. As for a brother called Red Wine, no. At least not so far as i know, but I do have a cousin called Scotch. Luckily for all of us, Scotch never posts here. :)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Hi Slo. In case you didn't know, Scotch is a cousin of my brother Bourbon. We all seem to get along OK at family gatherings, until Tea gets a sip of Gin.

-----------------------

Good elucidation Tea. Towards the end of your explanation, you mentioned the word: “appearances”. The first thing that came to mind is the English satire: “Keeping Up Appearances”. What a hilarious comedy portraying the English “stiff upper lip”.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Thanks for the info slo. I thought there would be a "deeper" meaning to it.

like the song says:

I keep a stiff upper lip
And I shoot from the hip
I keep a stiff upper lip
And I shoot
And I shoot
Shoot from the hip
... :oops:

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
The JoJo said:
Thanks for the info slo. I thought there would be a "deeper" meaning to it.

like the song says:

I keep a stiff upper lip
And I shoot from the hip
I keep a stiff upper lip
And I shoot
And I shoot
Shoot from the hip
... :oops:

I have always taken the interpretation to mean a "non-quivering" upper lip. Seems at least plausible. *shrug*

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
that's one of the best things about AC/DC, their lyrics are full of inuendo, of crass nature indeed, but they are written in such a fun style that no-on is bothered. i've never-ever heard anyone complain about their lyrics although i don't know how well their lyrics were received in the 70's. i think if they caused a big uproar, i would have learnt about it in the many stories i've read, documentaries i've seen and general talk about AC/DC i've had over the years.

btw, AC/DC have a nick name here in Aus, we call them 'akkadakka'.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I should be surprised to discover that anyone complained about their lyrics before their first album came out. I mean, who can make out the lyrics in an AC/DC tune unless they read the liner notes?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I should be surprised to discover that anyone complained about their lyrics before their first album came out. I mean, who can make out the lyrics in an AC/DC tune unless they read the liner notes?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Some of us fuddy-duddies can't understand the lyrics to ANY pop music.
Bleh. Everyone sings like they have marbles in their mouths.
Heck, marbles would be an improvement for most them. :p

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Tea said:
I mean, who can make out the lyrics in an AC/DC tune unless they read the liner notes?

Well, the lyrics were usually easier to understand with Bon Scott. But does anyone listen to AC/DC's lyrics these days anyway?

My understanding is that Bon wrote the lyrics when he was with the band, and apart from his last album, they're pretty good considering the genre. The AccaDacca lyrics since have been mostly awful, IMHO.

Fortunately, that doesn't necessarily spoil the power of the music.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Jake the Dog said:
"could not connect to resource"

i tried d/loading the mp3's directkly but had no success :( http://www.telascend.net:8000/content/hd_ahttacdc_hth.mp3

"could not connect to resource" is also what I got when I tried to connect directly. The are useing some type of streaming. It works with winamp but I don't know why it doesn't work for you.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
http://www.blackmetal.com/~mega/SF/thoughts.html

Our music is a celebration of life's mysteries. We are trying to present the perspective of the night, when the light of the pale moon sheds a different light on things.
A transformation occures not only on the scenery but also in the mood. For those who wear the Eyes of Set and have the heart of a Burning Phoenix, darkness is a fountain of supreme pleasure.

Hand them the straitjacket...

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
When thinking about this topic today, something came to me that I thought was an excellent illustration for this quality of a ‘stiff upper lip’ – the movie Zulu. The British soldiers in this movie epitomize this courageous attitude by fighting off Zulu warriors with deft tactics, brave instincts, and a courageous, but modest attitude. Those that take the lead of these men especially personify this quality, hence keeping the morale of the group high enough to survive the trying situation. They personally suffer emotional strain, but do not show this weakness in front of the other men, yet they survive.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
True story, by the way. And a great movie.

I was blown away when I first understood that people actually lived through that. I'm sure Tannin will chime in here and we'll have a marvelous discussion about the practice of selling command ranks to aristocrats in Victorian-era Britain and the military advantages of the asagi...

But I have no doubt that the men in the 24th Regiment of Foot fought with "stiff upper lips".

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
I would like to read that discussion, as I do enjoy the movie. Who was Michael Caine's ranking superior (by weeks I believe) in the movie, James Booth or Stanly Baker? What provided some depth to the movie was the social difference between these two men, and the way they both showed their own 'stiff upper lip'.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
It was Stanly Baker. The Color Sargeant most definately had a stiff upper lip. Geat flick by the way, one of my favorites.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
PS - In addition to the stiff upper lip aspect of Zulu, the most interesting aspect of the film was the way in which Chard and Bromful's (I think that was his name) relationship matured to one of mutual respect for one another despite their difference in social rank.

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance
The JoJo said:
Since we are honoured by so many Australians here, could someone please enlighten me as to what "stiff upper lipp" means/refers to?
Ah!!!! Idiomatic language! This is what the non-native speakers of a language usually tend to stumble over.

Jake the Dog said:
that's one of the best things about AC/DC, their lyrics are full of inuendo, ...
Also known as "double entendre." (English word borrowed from French)