SCSI adapter for 15K.3?

Radboy

What is this storage?
What is the adapter of choice for the 15K.3 (only device). I know you don't need U4W for just one drive .. so I'm wondering what would be the best U3W card to interface this drive.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
The Tekram ones are more-or-less the standard - at least if we define "standard" as "the obvious card you have if you are tired of paying Adaptec's stupid prices". I own one. It works just fine.

B4RSK

What is this storage?
The Tekram controllers are good, but they will only work in a 5V PCI slot. I am surprised that Tekram still has not redesigned this part for the newer 3.3V slots. See here for specs that state it is still 5V. :(

If you are sure you will only use the card in a 5V/32bit/33MHz slot, or a 5V/64bit/33MHz slot, then it is not a problem. If you wish to keep the card longer, then you will likely need to be able to plug it into either a 3.3V/32bit/33MHz slot, or a 3.3V/64bit/66MHz slot.

Instead of the Tekram, I would suggest this card. It is the same board layout as the Tekram, except it supports both 3.3V and 5V slots, and will run on a 66MHz bus. I've used these cards before with no problems.

Just my 2 yen's worth...

Ian

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
A good point, Ian. Which mainboards (if any) are using 3.3V PCI now? (I've rather lost track of matters technical lately.) Nice to see the old DTC still going, by the way. When he was a lad, Tannin used to swear by their MFM controllers.

B4RSK

What is this storage?
Currently it is server/workstation boards that are running 3.3V slots.

This is kind of foggy in my mind, but if I remember correctly, PCI 2.1 is 5V only, 2.2 will support both 3.3V and legacy 5V PCI products as well, but PCI 2.3 (maybe??) and onwards will only run at 3.3V.

All of the current Dual Athlon boards have 64bit/66MHz busses on them, and will run cards at 3.3V. The 32bit slots on these boards are still 5V only though.

Ian

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I believe there is a version of the Tekram U3W that is 3.3V capable. But the earlier revisions are definitely 5V only. The tekram site is updated at the same pace as the new Mac "faster-than-light" machines :) Notice the "hot-product" designation for controllers that are several years old. They don't even list their U4W/U4D U320 controllers (tho they can be found on the German site).

Try an LSI U160, the Tekrams are basically identical (I've flashed my Tekram U3D with firmware from LSI). If you are in the US they can had for a pittance.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Ian: According to that site the DMX controller looks like it runs at 33MHz, which would drop any other 66MHz cards on that bus segment down to 33MHz as well. Perhaps their site is out of date as well?

The 1010-66 chip runs at 66MHz, the 1010-33 at 33MHz.

B4RSK

What is this storage?
Interesting... I can't find anything on their site either way. Would certainly be wise to look at the chip carefully before purchasing.

PCI used to be so simple!

Ian