RAID SSD controller?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Who, except for an orang-outan, probes electronic parts' temperature with his toe?

You shouldn't take that "Hairy Aussie" title THAT seriously, you know.

:mrgrn: My small toe is more expendable.

LunarMist

LM
Going to be intresting to see if the chipsets allow you anywhere near what the controller and drives are going to be capable of.

It is normal as far as I can determine. Some of the drives test less than the typical 265 MB/sec. bursts, but the SSDs are at those limits. I don't have anything fast to put in a RAID 0. :alb:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It is normal as far as I can determine. Some of the drives test less than the typical 265 MB/sec. bursts, but the SSDs are at those limits. I don't have anything fast to put in a RAID 0. :alb:

;-( I was looking forward to it. Sounds like you found a good card, however.

LunarMist

I'm not sure which drives are best to use on it or if that would really be worthwhile. The SandStorm 50GB drives are the cheapest with decent performance now, but if two are no better than one X25-E it is a big waste.

LunarMist

I already have the 32GB X25-E, so is it worth the money to get 2x50 SandStorm drives?

LunarMist

That is not exactly what I was thinking. Does it help OS and apps that much to be on boot RAID? I'm not noticing any difference between the X25-E and X25-M for that. The page file and temp files are the ones that obviously benefit from the higher write speeds. Now the page file is on the X25-E regardless of whether the OS/boot drive is the X25-M or X25-E.

ddrueding

Fixture
That question is more difficult to answer. I do think that my Z-Drive machine boots and loads apps faster than my RAID-0 of Vertex drives which both are faster than the solo Vertex LE in my laptop. But all three systems scale CPU, GPU and RAM as well, so it isn't an apples to apples comparison. I also doubt I could tell the difference if I didn't use all three systems every day.

LunarMist

That question is more difficult to answer. I do think that my Z-Drive machine boots and loads apps faster than my RAID-0 of Vertex drives which both are faster than the solo Vertex LE in my laptop. But all three systems scale CPU, GPU and RAM as well, so it isn't an apples to apples comparison. I also doubt I could tell the difference if I didn't use all three systems every day.

Then why am I doing this? :dunno:

LunarMist

The 32GB X25-E has two partitions, first for the XP32 OS and second for page/temp/small critical file use. The second partition easily overflows on pans/stitching and sometimes in PS. The 80GB X25-M G2 has only the one partition for the XP64 and no page file. It has plenty of free space, but is too slow for writes. I was planning to repurpose it for another system eventually.

ddrueding

Fixture
So what you really need is another X25-E to create a larger RAID-0 for page/temp/etc and something else (C300?) for the OS (you still need XP32 for something?).

LunarMist

I was thinking that using the 32GB drive as one partition would allow larger OS/apps (maybe Win 7?). The RAIDed new drives would then constitute the page/temp, etc. file area (100+GB total).

I don't like XP32 per se, but the XP64 doesn't work quite right. A secondary issue is that a few apps are not on the XP64 because the newer versions suck or are cost prohibitive. Booting betwen the two has been a pain for the past year :x, but that is the topic for another thread.

ddrueding

Fixture
My current Win7 x64 build, including apps (CS5 (PS and Acrobat), PTGui, Photomatix, Canon DPP, Office 2010, Firefox) is 110GB. Even a slimmer config would be tight on a 32GB. I've managed to squeeze Win7 x64, Office2010, PS CS5, and Firefox onto an X25-V 40GB, but I don't think I had 8 to spare.

LunarMist

256GB C300 is about $700 and the smaller ones are slower. :spiderman: