Netbook for the wife

Stereodude

Not really a
Well, I can't see how the N120 would be much better than the Aspire One in terms of being a full featured machine. It's still a netbook with an Atom + 945 chipset.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup. Every time I evaluated a netbook, I thought "more memory and CPU is all I need". I've come to the conclusion that what I need isn't a netbook.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Maybe a Lenovo X300? That gets you an SSD and a real CPU, and also size and weight to make Netbook owners jealous.

I keep having to rant to people who don't understand the functional difference between a Netbook and a proper notebook. At this point I'm pretty good at it.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup, an X300 is exactly where I need to be. That or a Macbook Air with a real OS put on it. Of course, the extra $2k hurts a bit.

Stereodude

Not really a
Somehow I suspect my wife will try to co-opt my netbook to use for her work since it will be smaller and light than her work provided one.

Stereodude

Not really a
So what happens when you put a 2GB stick of RAM in one of these WinXP netbooks? I know MS won't let them sell a 2GB model, but does it refuse to see it, or does it work fine?

Mercutio

Depends on the machine. I know some Asus models won't see the extra RAM but I've put more RAM in a bunch of other netbooks.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
The new MSI Wind 123, coming this month supposedly, uses the N280. I think this paired with a Vertex SSD would be a killer portable for around $700. The MSI site doesn't say it but the reports are noting expandable RAM up to 2GB and up to a 9 cell battery.
The U123 has been more or less released and is listed at Amazon as coming soon. 1GB standard w/an open RAM slot, 2GB listed as system max. No 9 cell battery; 6 cell appears to be standard. 160GB HD, SD-family card read built in, optional bluetooth, etc. for about $350 street.

Mercutio

It's a chipset limitation. Netbooks are all pretty much based on some ancient iteration of the 945 chipset.

And because Microsoft doesn't want these machines to be any faster or nicer than they have to be. They don't want $300 notebooks with XP running circles around $1000 ones with Vista, so they've colluded with Netbook manufacturers to make them appear limited in capability.

The next step in this lie will be when Windows 7 Starter is shipped as the default OS on a lot of those machines and people find out it can only run three apps a a time. Watch. I'll bet there will be some of that going on.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Microsoft sets limits one what the hardware can be and still have it be called a netbook, i.e. still qualify to sell XP instead of Vista. And qualify for the apparently very cheap XP licenses.

But unless there's a chipset or BIOS limit, I don't see why a machine can be advertised as 1GB installed/2GB max but actually be capable of seeing 4GB.

IMO for the relative power of a netbook's CPU and intended usage pattern, 1-2GB should be plenty.

Stereodude

Not really a
Is there any reason to get a DDR2 PC6400 SO-DIMM over a DDR2 PC5300 SO-DIMM for a netbook. They'll be the same price after rebate. I know they won't run at the faster speed.

And, in case you were curious, no I'm not an idiot. I know a netbook generally only has 1 SO-DIMM in it. A buddy is splitting the pair with me for his HP Mini 1000

ddrueding

Fixture
You don't plan on OC'ing your netbook? :p

No, no difference that I can imagine. If they are the same price, may as well get the faster one.

ddrueding

Fixture
For the record, the MTRON MSD-PATA3018-ZIF2 is working great in my ASUS R2Hv, and is a massive improvement over the Toshiba MK8009GAH (4200RPM) that was in there. 100MB/s and 0.1ms without any lag issues with small file writes.

I suspect the interface in the Acer isn't standards-compliant in some way.

ddrueding

Fixture
Neither of my small toys take 2.5" drives. One takes a mini (like the one I linked) and the other is a 1.8" ZIF. I hope more vendors adopt smaller form factors (something the width of the SATA data/power connector would be nice).

ddrueding

Fixture
MLC, and likely have the small write performance issue, but that will still beat a 4200RPM drive during boot (95% read) and light use.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
MLC, and likely have the small write performance issue, but that will still beat a 4200RPM drive during boot (95% read) and light use.

SteadyState will fix that...I'm now a firm believer in it after using it for the past few weeks. Just don't reboot often as boots now take forever.

ddrueding

Fixture
Boots are the one thing I really care about in netbooks and small machines. Any of these do fine with Firefox once they are up. Worst case, I do some tricks with a RAMDisk to speed that part up.

Stereodude

Not really a
Boots are the one thing I really care about in netbooks and small machines. Any of these do fine with Firefox once they are up. Worst case, I do some tricks with a RAMDisk to speed that part up.
If it's anything like the MLC IDE SSD I have they're going to drive you nuts. You'll see.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have quite a few cheaper MLC SSDs, they really only annoyed me during software installs/updates and when doing more complex stuff.

Stereodude

Not really a
I have quite a few cheaper MLC SSDs, they really only annoyed me during software installs/updates and when doing more complex stuff.
Installs and updates are horrible. Other than that it's not so bad. Still some times it gets slow at the oddest times for no apparent reason.

It's all irrelevant now, as I have given up on it and have a 320GB 2.5" IDE drive on the way to replace it.

Stereodude

Not really a
So, I cracked open the N120 today to see how to get at the HD in anticipation of swapping in a 500GB 5400 RPM HD. I found an empty mini PCI-e slot labeled for HSPDA, a joke of a "subwoofer", and a SIM card slot.