Linux, Wine and the Gnome

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
With SuSE 10 it is very easy to click on Applications>Run Application...>[type code such as "wine sol.exe"]. However, I would like to automate this WINE process. How can I create an icon on my Gnome desktop that I can click in order to run WINE and a Windows application?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If you look in ~/, there should be a wine subdirectory that has a premade links to all the various wine apps you have. You can create a shortcut on your desktop or whatever.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Nope, no such folder. The wine files are under /usr/bin/ but I wouldn't know what to do with them. I double-clicked a few, and a dialgue box to run them opened. But when I clicked on any of the options (run in terminal, run), nothing happened.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Figured it out. Just Right-Click on the desktop and pick the option "Create Launcher..." This gets you the necessary dialogue box to create a short-cut with commands.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I don't know how familiar with Unix you are Buck, so forgive me if you already know the following. The directory is probably hidden. Any file (or directory) in a unix filesystem that starts with a . is hidden.

You can select View/'Show Hidden ..' in Nautilus somewhere. The -a option tells the ls command to list hidden files and directories on the command line.

In general, applications leave files in several places according to standard unix practices about what data should be in what filesystem/directory. These practices are designed with a networked system in mind. /usr/bin is where the binary executables of general desktop applications should be. Many of these executables have linked libraries in /usr/lib . Most any application will also create a hidden folder in your home ( ~/ ) directory which will contain configuration information and data. Root's home directory is under /root/ instead of /home/$USERNAME/ .

I bet you'll find a .wine or similar directory in your home directory now ;).