Kalifornia=1984 50% tax on water

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Standard Oil has the only crude oil refinery in the Hawaiian Islands that I am aware of.
The other one is Chevron.

This is a huge advantage, since tankers from Asia can dock, dump their oil, and Standard Oil doesn't even have to pay shipping, or put up with restrictive standards for gasoline production.
Most of Hawaii's oil is imported from Alaska. It's closer and, therefore, usually cheaper. I recall reading that about 8% of Alaskan oil is sent to Hawaii.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Standard Oil's refinery isn't on the former Naval base. It's on the right hand side of the highway, as you head from the Naval Base towards Makaha.

When I was in Hawaii, the base was still active. Had a pass to get on and play golf. I suspect the now Tesoro refinery was built on the naval base with the lease term that all production required would first go to the naval base, ships, airplanes, naval base cars. I suspect those industries kept that refinery busy.

Honolulu has a population of about 1 million, or a bit less. The entire state has another 300,000 people, so that's 1.3 million people total for the state.

Not a big market, but, the shipping and airline industries, not to mention the U.S. Military ships speak for themselves.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Standard Oil's refinery isn't on the former Naval base. It's on the right hand side of the highway, as you head from the Naval Base towards Makaha.
Whatever you were smoking back then, I hope you've stopped.

Both the Chevron (remember how Standard Oil was broken up in 1911?) and Tesoro refineries are in the Campbell Industrial Park next to Kalaeloa Airport. This used to be NAS Barber's Point.

The park also has a coal-fired power plant, and is located right at Barber's Point (the geographic feature, with the lighthouse).