iPod>iPhone>iPad

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
It is interesting. Apple does make sexy hardware, with the exception of some brain-dead hardware limitations (obviously the result of marketing or RIAA lobbying), and the make nice interfaces with major restrictions on software anti-competitive BS, etc.

In other words, they would make great products if they weren't such dicks.
They've basically become the way IBM was thirty years ago -- except that they make consumer rather than enterprise products.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I have to agree Gilbo, but have you tried voice recognition with anything but a headset? I have a Blue Snowflake condenser mic 18" in front of me, and the reliability of Dragon Naturally Speaking falls off very fast.

I'm looking at getting a Bluetooth Microphone. Most don't deliver anything close to the type of quality needed for voice recognition. The most highly-recommended ones I've found thus far (for this particular use) are the:

1. VXi BlueParrot Xpressway
2. Sennheiser BW900

Finding reviews and gathering info on microphones for Speech Recognition is a crazy nightmare. It took me days, and I'm still worried about incompatibilities and issues. Unfortunately, neither of these are discrete enough to double as cell phone mics. I was really hoping for a dual-use case - one less thing to lug around and lose.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm looking at getting a Bluetooth Microphone. Most don't deliver anything close to the type of quality needed for voice recognition.

I have a Plantronics bluetooth headset that works fine with the voice recognition on my phone.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
iPhone seems to analogous to the movie Avatar...so will the iPad be a flash in the pan, big-budget movie that does well the initial weeks, and then tanks in sales???

Kind of hard to believe millions will have use for this device?

For a few hundred more, I'd rather have a slightly larger, heavier 13.3" MB and 4G service; + an iPhone when I need that, instead of an iPad...meh, but that's just me :)

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/03/25/company.may.also.gain.iphone.contract/

Samsung has taken an order of 3 million LCD displays for use in the Apple iPad, an industry source tells the Korea Times....The main LCD supplier for the iPad is LG, which has an $800 million deal for 10 million panels.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/03/26/ipad.orders.cooling.but.may.still.outpace.iphone/

A new estimate today has shown that iPad pre-orders are still on track to beat the iPhone's initial launch numbers. With advance orders believed to have hit 190,000 last week, the rate of purchases has slowed down but should still have reached 240,000 of the tablets as of Friday. The current average of about 7,000 pre-orders per day would have the iPad beat the 2007 iPhone's 270,000 launch weekend units by Monday based purely on online sales.
The actual first-day sales on April 3rd are likely to be higher, Daniel Tello predicts. Current estimates don't include either reservations at retail stores or any walk-in purchases of leftover units. The original iPhone sales also factored in two whole days of sales at the end of the iPhone's first fiscal quarter.

Besides making the iPad the company's largest lineup introduction to date, the calculations would make the iPad the most successful launch of a new category for Apple in terms of units shipped and would give it the strongest e-reader and tablet launches known so far. Amazon has always been secretive about its Kindle sales but is understood to have sold 500,000 Kindles in all of 2008. Barnes & Noble will have taken advantage of a larger market but was predicted to reach the same 500,000-unit mark for the Nook just this month, or five months after the Nook was first unveiled.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Why the iPad Will Change Everything

Think Really Different

http://www.newsweek.com/id/235565

So I take it dd will be out there in line with Bill Paterson, the Woz, and all the other geeks @Apple Palo Alto Fri night/Sat morning for the 'scene mang':jokecolor:

Right away I could see how I would use it. I'd keep it in the living room to check e-mail and browse the Web. I'd take it to the kitchen and read The New York Times while I eat breakfast. I'd bring it with me on a plane to watch movies and read books. That may not be life-changing, but is it worth 500 bucks? Yup. Done. Sold. No wonder, then, that by some accounts Apple has received preorders for 240,000 iPads, and some analysts project it could sell up to 5 million units in the product's first 12 months. One early adopter is Steve Wozniak, who cofounded Apple with Jobs. Woz has already ordered three iPads and plans to camp out in front of an Apple store the night before the iPad's debut, just for kicks. "We all say we want things to be simpler, and now here is this simple thing. I think it will be a huge success," Wozniak says.

But the very simplicity of the iPad masks its transformational power. Some say the iPad heralds a new era of computing, and I'm inclined to believe them. The interface is so intuitive—navigating with your fingers rather than a keyboard and mouse—that it will change what we expect from our computers. Today we talk about "getting on the Internet," but with iPad you can have a persistent online connection, and that's a pretty profound shift. Combine the form factor with the 24/7 link to a store, and you have the perfect machine for impulse purchases.
^uh oh, this is not good for dd :twistd::diablo:

Of course, since I live in the Devil's Triangle of suburbia, I can't even get a Wi-Fi signal. Somewhere around 2020 if Sprint still exists; 4G Wi-Max, which is not free, might come around here :(

No 24/7 for me, no impulse purchases :D

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Well I'm shocked, shocked I tell u. no one here has posted their new iPad experiences.

While picking up dim sum in Monterey Park this morning, @Sea Harbour Seafood restaurant (actually in Rosemead next door), while waiting for my 'to-go' order, just inside the front door, there was a table of 4 adults and a few children. Bit of a crown there as the 'alpha' male was showing one of the managers a screen I could just barely see. Seems the manager had a high level of interest as he was talking and watching the screen for 10+min, as well as the front desk hostess was over at that table for a while talking too :D.

They guy put the tablet down on an empty seat, I could see it was in a fabric casing, but spied that distinctive white apple logo coming through on the back side :D.

I asked the hostess when she brought my order: "Is that the new iPad?"

She says (keep in mind her English comprehension is not perfect, vocabulary is good but not great): "yes, the new iPad, from Apple"

Guess it's going to be the new 'pet rock' for the Asian community, there is that excitement about it, even the Chinese in LA area's ethnic/immigrant neighborhoods, know about it's release this weekend...the buzz is there :p

I mean, really; other than you guys here, nobody gives a rats arse about new PC products, tablets or not.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Pretty typical of the crown here still obsessing with the iPhone's success in another thread, trying the absolute best to pick on flaws while the rest of the world buys them like hotcakes.... out of touch with what's happening with the rest of the world...conservative PC to the core :D.

btw, there was an almost unnoticeable minor earthquake here near LA, I was on the can, taking a dump @time and thinking 'crap, if this is the start of the 'big one'...I'm up sh*t's creek!'

But it only lasted for <15sec, so no biggy, like a local quake that measures 3.5 or less :)

:compress:The buzz on the iPad is incredible, and every1 here misses it :reindeer::compress:

Apple may have sold 700,000 iPads in one day

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/04/04/estimate.has.ipad.breaking.record/

An early estimate on Saturday reveals that Apple may have sold between 600,000 and 700,000 iPads on just its first day. He had originally predicted no more than 300,000 shipped but more than doubled his predictions based on long queues at the 5th Avenue Apple store, where about 730 people lined up before the 9:00AM launch.

By comparison, the iPhone 3G lineup peaked at 540 in line, indicating a record turnout. The queue at the store won't be wholly representative of all locations, as smaller stores have historically attracted less attention. Unlike past iPhone releases, though, Apple was accepting pre-orders for over three weeks before the ship date and may have generated far more sales than would be visible at retail. Before Apple cut off further advance sales for launch day, another estimate 240,000 pre-orders through the mail.

If accurate, Munster's estimated sell-through could make the iPad not only Apple's most successful launch of a first-generation device but also make it the most successful e-reader and tablet launch ever. Amazon has never provided concrete numbers, but it may have only sold 500,000 Kindles in all of 2008 and just a fraction of that in the e-paper device's first few weeks on the market. Barnes & Noble has had the luxury of a larger audience for the Nook, but even its dual-screen device might have reached the 500,000 mark only half a year after its debut.

Windows-based tablet PCs have similarly gone without concrete sales data but have usually been considered niche products that have never sold as well as conventional notebooks.

^:rofl:

Stereodude

Not really a
Whoopteedoo... Apple has and will always find suckers to buy their products.

The ipad is just another device to enable Apple and their big corporate content providing buddies to suck more money out of your wallet.

Apple should change their slogan to "Fleecing the willing since 2001"

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Turns out my ex bought one. So I do know someone who owns one.

Since she has an uncanny ability to screw up Windows computers with malware, I kind of support her if it means less working on her other machines.

Unfortunately, the reason I know she got one is that a bunch of things she wanted to do with it don't work since the ipad doesn't do flash and she wanted me to fix that.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
"Turns out my ex bought one. So I do know someone who owns one. "

Damnit. Now you realize we can no longer talk with each right? ;)

Yeah, web without Flash is the suck. And it's not like the bloody ipad doesn't have the battery life to deliver for what Apple call poor performing code.

Sol

Storage is cool
Surely it can't be too late to take it back to the store... Fixed, right?

Seriously I actually like the lack of Flash. It's already having an impact on reducing the use of Flash on the web. And even if I liked flash and would miss it, (Which I really don't and wouldn't) short of serious blunt force trauma to the head there is absolutely zero chance that I'll be getting an iPad anyway so I lose absolutely nothing by its absence.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'll be picking one up on Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes.

No, not for me. And no, I don't have a choice in the matter. It is too expensive for what it does and I consider it's functionality broken. It will be replaced as soon as a replacement is available.

ddrueding

Fixture
Please let us know if it is as I heard, that it is too heavy to hold with one hand for too long.

That strikes me as awfully subjective; I've been holding laptops with my left arm for a long time. Older 17"ers were a bit much, but 6-pound laptops for the 35-minute BART ride from SF to Berkeley wasn't a big deal.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It is definitely heavy to use for a long time. However, even holding your hand with nothing in it becomes tiring eventually.

LunarMist

"Turns out my ex bought one. So I do know someone who owns one. "

Damnit. Now you realize we can no longer talk with each right? ;)

Yeah, web without Flash is the suck. And it's not like the bloody ipad doesn't have the battery life to deliver for what Apple call poor performing code.

Flash sucks. I wish it would go away.

LunarMist

I can just see some bozo reading the iPad whilst driving. :reindeer:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Flash sucks. I wish it would go away.
Agree on the first part, disagree on the second.

If they'd just fix all of the comcastic things that Flash does *and* convince people to use it properly, it'd be great.

I've been using the 10.1 RC, and it's a lot better. It hasn't crashed my browser yet.

LunarMist

Agree on the first part, disagree on the second.

If they'd just fix all of the comcastic things that Flash does *and* convince people to use it properly, it'd be great.

I've been using the 10.1 RC, and it's a lot better. It hasn't crashed my browser yet.

When I am reading text, I don't like terribly distracting moving images on various parts of a web page. :boom: There should be a large button to disable or enable the motion.

Handruin

Administrator
I must be one of the few who is not bothered by flash and does not have crashes or problems with the websites that I visit which use it. I don't fundamentally agree with requiring a plug-in to view multimedia content but at the rate the HTML standard gets updated, I guess it fills the gap.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I must be one of the few who is not bothered by flash
Perhaps you've never visited a page which automatically plays sound *and* has no mute option.

I don't patronize those businesses (and they're always businesses).