Intel's SSD 910: Finally a PCIe SSD from Intel

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
<Tried to edit original post, added the edits then clicked save, then got the message "you can only edit for 5 minutes." Shouldn't that message come up before you do all the edits? Anyways...>

From the Anandtech article:

"The 910 will ship with a software tool that allows you to get even more performance out of the drive (up to 1.5GB/s write speed) by increasing the board's operating power to 28W from 25W."

A SSD you can overclock. I LOL'd at that. Non bootable. I figure that if I sell my car I can afford the 800 GB version.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Well I guess you could say this drive deserves its own thread, but there are also some posts in the lengthy SSD thread.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
What are you doing that would even tempt you to buy one of those?
I mean, I guess it would be cool to end all disputes as to who owns the sweetest PC, but on the other hand what you'd more than likely find is that some other component or architectural aspect of your system is now forever the roadblock to performance nirvana.

Remember too that solid state storage options have existed for a really long time. That was kind of EMC's deal. The only issue here is the straightforward highway to a lot of CPU cores rather than being in a big box with megadollars worth of support and infrastructure required (fiber switches and smart caching and who the hell knows what else). I'm sure that this thing is a revolutionary cost savings compared to other technologies that might've been used in the past.

LunarMist

It s too bad that there is not a single .drive SATA/SAS version. 500MB/sec on incompressible data is impressive-.

LunarMist

I'm trying to like this device, but is there sufficient justification to buy one?

ddrueding

Fixture
a) not bootable (workstation)
b) not a single volume (file server/workstation)
c) not currently supported in ESXi (app server)

I have no use for it.

LunarMist

OK, I toss up the towels. It is the disappointing end of an era from the 2008 X25-E.:(
I only regret lack of upgrade to 64GB drive in mid Q2. However, I was unable to service my unit due to the broken bones.