Intel release schedule for upcoming Xeon processor

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
News source

The big lines are :

* Haswell-based Xeon E3 12xx v3 for LGA1150 single-socket systems to be release at the end of May 2013.
* Ivy-Bridge-EP Xeon E5-26xx v2 for dual-socket LGA2011 systems will get out in the third quarter of 2013.
* Ivy-Bridge-EP Xeon E5-46xx v2 for quad-socket LGA2011 systems will wait until the first quarter of 2014.
* Ivy-Bridge-EN Xeon E5-24xx v2 for lower cost LGA1356 dual-socket systems will also only arrive in Q1 2014.
* Ivy-Bridge Xeon E7 won't be available before the last quarter of 2014.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't think Intel needs a schedule any more. It's more like "We'll release things superior to everything AMD makes when we get around to it."
Though the socket proliferation is bothersome.

Stereodude

Not really a
Personally, I'm interested to see how the desktop Haswell chips perform. The new instructions should help x264 encoding to some degree (once they add support for them).

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Personally, I'm interested to see how the desktop Haswell chips perform. The new instructions should help x264 encoding to some degree (once they add support for them).

What about the Roswell, or is that later on? I just want the most cores in an unlocked CPU, whatever will be the new Extreme. I don't want to spend more than about a grand.

LunarMist

I thought Roswell was alien technology. It must be quite advanced indeed.

:D Oh, I must be confusing that with the Area 54 legend. Will the Haswell have 6-8 cores, too? Unfortunately, Xeon CPUs do nothing for me.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The Haswell architecture will most probably find its way to 6-8 cores processors at one point in the future, but I don't know when. It won't be soon. Certainly not before the very end of 2014 or early-to-mid 2015.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I think the name you were looking for is "Broadwell", the successor of Haswell which will also be sold for the LGA1150 platform. I don't know for sure, but I don't think there are enough pins in the LGA 1150 for a 6-to-8 cores processor. Broadwell should also be a quad-core max processor.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I thought Roswell was alien technology. It must be quite advanced indeed.
Indeed. I'm hearing through the pipeline that it uses advanced positronic technology and can get into the petaflop range. It also uses a new proprietary telepathic interface instead of a mouse or touchscreen.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't think brain control is all that far off, really. MS has the Kinect and fancier phones are looking at what your eyes are doing already.

LunarMist

I don't think brain control is all that far off, really. MS has the Kinect and fancier phones are looking at what your eyes are doing already.

What do you mean look at the eyes? I cover up the laptop video camera with tape. Of course my desktop computers have no cameras.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Good idea, Lunar, you're a man after my own heart, what with hackers turning on cameras and spying on the user. You're just as paranoid as I am! I don't have any web cams too.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie

A couple guys at work bought the Emotiv EPOC with SDK. They demoed it and it looks like it has some potential.