Folding@Home

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm not sure, but it looks like Mark has upgraded something in his setup. His production for the day so far is unusually high.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
We will lose a lot of positions until the end of the year unless we get some help. Even Colby Mules might re-overtake us since one of their main producers (nscc) has resumed his contribution after a one week hiatus that allowed us to overtake them. We're not even 200K points in front of them so it's like we have no lead at all.

I know I won't be able to increase my contribution at all before Christmas. I will also probably have a severe disruption in my daily output at least once in the upcoming weeks as I'll move from Montréal to Québec city.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
You have Titans? Nvidia is having stability issues for 7xx series drivers. Specifically, the Windows drivers reboot at least every 36 hours. Supposedly they now have a fix and it will be incorporated in the next driver release.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Well I sure hope that the new driver will help Dave to restart his contribution. Otherwise, if things don't change, we'll lose 6 positions before the end of October.

On another subject, with the new Ivy Bridge-EP processors arriving on September 9th or 10th, I wonder if a dual-socket 12-core per CPU system would be able to break the million points per day barrier, with the Big Units? We're talking about 24 Ivy Bridge cores clocked at 2.7GHz minimum. Of course, that's also a 10K$ machine, but since I'll have a few to play with and that at least one or two will be for backups and at idle most of the time, maybe I'll be able to install the FAH client initially on it just to make some burn-in stability test...

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Don't worry if today folding isn't working properly: PG is doing some wholesale maintenance on their infrastructure and important components (like assignment servers) will be down today.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
There's obviously been an outage at my home. Only two of my five systems are still contributing. The situation won't be back to normal before tomorrow's evening. My contribution will also be greatly reduced next Monday and early Tuesday since I'll be moving.

Handruin

Administrator
Good luck with your move. I hope it goes as well.

My systems have been irregularly contributing lately due to actually needing them for other tasks.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm back!

Only three of my five systems though. I don't know where to put the other two since I only have one desk cleared for the moment. It might take some time before I return to my usual rythm.

BTW, The single 919 points unit I produced yesterday...I don't know where it came from. All my computers were down at that time. None were even plugged.

Handruin

Administrator
I rebuilt my home desktop last night and I've been trying to get the F@H client working again. The CPU will function fine but I can't get the GPU to work. I think it crunched one work unit but now it's not connecting.

The log file says this:
19:01:37:WU02:FS00:News: Welcome to Folding@Home
19:01:37:WARNING:WU02:FS00:Failed to get assignment from 'assign-GPU.stanford.edu:80': Empty work server assignment
19:01:37:WU02:FS00:Connecting to assign-GPU.stanford.edu:8080

Also, I didn't know GROMACS stood for "Working on GRowing Old MAkes el Chrono Sweat"

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I did rebuild my main computer too yesterday and also did have some trouble getting my first GPU WU. I simply paused, exited and restarted the client and I've had no troble since then. One of the assignment server must be down or partially functional. Despite what their monitoring says, it wouldn't be the first time.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
In my case, the GPU is a GT440. Yes, it is old and no, it doesn't help much (less than 3000 ppd on the current WU - Project 8018).

Last edited:

Handruin

Administrator
I did rebuild my main computer too yesterday and also did have some trouble getting my first GPU WU. I simply paused, exited and restarted the client and I've had no troble since then. One of the assignment server must be down or partially functional. Despite what their monitoring says, it wouldn't be the first time.

Thanks for the info. I think it must have resumed overnight because I could hear the typical whine noise from the GPU when it's crunching but I didn't check.

What GPU?

I don't know what GPU you are running but for older GPU's the server that handles them went down on Aug. 26 and hasn't yet come back on line. PG knows of the problem and has said it is working on a fix. That being said, I suspect that it isn't a high priority since they have also said that Core_11 is EOL.

The developers for GROMACS have used a variety of mnemonics. See: http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12922&hilit=Russians#p126397

I'm using a Nvidia GTX 560 Ti 448 core (GF110 [Fermi]). Is that part of their old GPU support?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Both of your video cards (GT440, GTX 560 Ti) should work fine. Neither is considered old and on the EOL list (Pre-fermi). So I need to see your logs, including the system and config portions to diagnose your problem and optimize the config.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Honestly Mark, this is the least of my concerns. If it was one of the GTX 580 or either of the Radeon cards, I would care. However, the GT 440 doesn't even add 5K ppd. And it's working now. If the problem reoccurs, then I'll ask for help if I have time to spend on this. Right now, I have other priorities.

Thanks for your help and offer.

Handruin

Administrator
Mine is working now also. It must have been the same issue Coug mentioned with the server not responding.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
So finally, as of 5 minutes ago, all my systems are finally back at running the client. I could have done it before, but I guess I've been lazy (and quite busy).

Handruin

Administrator
I hope that now with AMDs Hawaii announced that in the next several months or so we get to see what it's truly capable of. I hope that it breaks through as a good price/performance card and maybe become a good performing FAH option. As a byproduct I hope the 780GTX drops in price to be competitive.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I have a lot of trouble with my second most powerful right now. With a Radeon HD 7870, it only produces ~5500ppd with the GPU core on a project 11293 unit. Before I reinstalled the graphic driver yesterday, it often showed the unit to be 99% completed while it wasn't the case. That lasted for several days. Prior to that, the system froze every few days. It runs under Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview. Maybe that's the problem. I'll reinstall the OS later this evening. I'll put the RTM version this time.

I wanted to be within 9 millions points of Mark when he'll pass the 100 million milestone. I guess it won't happen thank s to this system.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
The PPD for non-Core_17 WU's on AMD video cards just outright suck. I do not know if you are running client-type=beta but beta doesn't seem to have many Core_17 right now and client-type=advanced seems to do better. Undoubtedly, that will change with no warning however.

The 99% problem seems to be an issue with OC'ing rather than drivers or the OS. You can, pause and unpause and that will allow the WU to progress from the last checkpoint but it will likely happen again on the same WU. In general, I find a reboot helps more.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The 99% problem seems to be an issue with OC'ing rather than drivers or the OS.
That system is not overclocked and it's also over-ventilated, if something. It cannot overheat.

I didn't use any flag, but I'll add the client-type advanced flag to the GPU unit.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
You can add the flag anytime. It will only be used when getting a new WU, so it won't interrupt anything you already have.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
A Haswell i5-4670 should work well. However, an ATI radeon HD 4670 is too old of a video card so won't get any WU's.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It's been a while since you've contributed, so maybe you forgot (or it simply didn't existed back then), but please take the time to get a passkey. It will take ten units before the bonus kicks in, but once it does, each unit you complete will reward you with much more points.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Does anyone use two or three 1TB in a RAID, maybe JDOB if not 0?