Folding@Home

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
Groltz said:
Funny you mentioned that. I still have a full fifth bottle of that stuff that my friend sent me as a "gift" from Baton Rouge back '94.
Your mention of this made me think to search for a mixed drink called Diesel (yes, I'm bored). But here's what I found (Bartender might be interested):

From BarMeister.com:

Diesel 2

- 1/2 pint(s) Cider
- 1/2 pint(s) Lager
- 1 Other Black Currant Cordial

Directions/Comments: Simply add half a pint of cider to half a pint of lager and add black currant cordial to taste. Other variations include Turbo Diesel (take a pint of Diesel, drink some of it, then add a shot of Pernod) and Diesel Snapshot (named after the cranberry-flavoured vodka which is the extra ingredient. Drink some of the Diesel then add a shot of cranberry vodka).

I was actually referring to the fuel (joke referring to my sig), but it's interesting that there is actually a brand called Diesel, as well as a mixed drink. Never know what you're going to learn next :)

Handruin

Administrator
I got my friend to sign up, you should see gremlin show up on the score boards for folding @ home. I don't think he'll read the forum much, but we have another person contributing to the team!

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Ok, I'm running with the gah preference now, with beta7. Is there any -nonet option that I'm unaware of?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Nope. i don't think so based on what I've read at their forums. You need to run the G@H client if you want to have a -nonet option....

C

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Handruin said:
I got my friend to sign up, you should see gremlin show up on the score boards for folding @ home. I don't think he'll read the forum much, but we have another person contributing to the team!

He is showing up on our stats page now.

Groltz

The JoJo said:
Damm that Macrumors team...

We need more power Scotty!

We are going to need a few more heavy hitters on Team SF to beat Macrumors' output.

Stat.jpg

simonstre

What is this storage?
Perhaps in a week or two, I'll be able to add 4 to 6 computers 24/7. They are not very good (almost all P3 or K6-2) but it crunches.

Hope this will be enough...

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
To beat them we need at least 2 more 1900+'s running 24x7. Anyone is nieve if you think that they won't be adding machines too, so more than that is needed.

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
Anyone is nieve if you think that they won't be adding machines too, so more than that is needed.

Roger that, P5...We need some heavy hitters to keep up. I'm working on getting a Pentium II dual up and running, but that's not much power. You're right, we need a couple more dedicated crunchers.

Groltz

Dozer said:
Anyone is nieve if you think that they won't be adding machines too, so more than that is needed.

Roger that, P5...We need some heavy hitters to keep up. I'm working on getting a Pentium II dual up and running, but that's not much power. You're right, we need a couple more dedicated crunchers.

Every little bit helps, of course.

[Wishful Thinking] A few more Athlon XP powered rigs would really make a nice addition. At least one source calls them the best processor for folding. [/Wishful Thinking]

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
ok, now i've done a few w/u's for team 10047 now yet i'm not showing up on the list. what does a dog have to do to be shown folding around here? :wink:

Handruin

Administrator
I don't think the stats have updated yet... Maybe later tonight or perhaps tomorrow morning?

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
how often does the folding people update their stats? i only started yesterday so if they take a few days then it'll be a few days i guess...

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
woohoo, must have just been updated.

so far i have the follwing machines folding:

- P3 550m (test box)
- 2 x P3 667m (dev and build boxes)
- P3 700m (my lappy)
- P4 1.6g (main workstation)
- Athlon XP2000+ (play box)

will soon have running a P3 800m (server @ home)

i've tried to enlist a few colleagues but they are SETI dedicates. perhaps i need to enforce it as a rule upon my team :diablo:

i have a few questions:
1) is it possible to d/load w/u's and then run them on a non web-accessible network? i can utilise a 4 way XEON box if so.
2) can the linux client be adapted for tru64? i'm about to take ownership of a quad 1ghz alpha cpu compaq box. this thing would crunch with the best of them.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Excellent Jake! We'll be cooking soon!

I'm going to throw up a Duron 850 (hopefully @ 1000) in the near future.

You can't cache F@H work units like you could with G@H, btw.

C

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Jake the Dog said:
i have a few questions:
1) is it possible to d/load w/u's and then run them on a non web-accessible network? i can utilise a 4 way XEON box if so.
2) can the linux client be adapted for tru64? i'm about to take ownership of a quad 1ghz alpha cpu compaq box. this thing would crunch with the best of them.

1) I believe it would be possible, but inconvienant. You could have a web accessible client run only long enough to get a WU and store it in a shared directory. The non-web accessible client could then copy the entire directory structure and run the WU. When it is done, it could then copy its directory structure to the web-enabled client. That web-enabled client could then send the results and get another WU. The limitation is that the web and non-web clients can not execute the WU at the same time otherwise corruption could occur. There may be issues if the same web-enabled client is actually servicing several different non-web clients. There would have to be some automation occuring, but I think it is theoritically possible.

2) The source code for the F@H program would have to be recompiled to make it run on a different processor. However, if there is access to the source code then it would probably work.

Handruin

Administrator
I have a question... the FAH client runs as a low priority in windows when you open task manager and look at the service. I've set all of mine to run as "normal". I don't know if this helps any, but my thought was that the FAH client would have access to more CPU time allowing more for more crunch time when performing basic operations in the background.

Has anyone else done this? Do you think there is any drawback other then decreased system response while FAH is running? (For the record I don't notice any extra degradation with the service running at normal)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The only time those priorities really matter is when you're slamming the CPU at something over 80% utilization on a more or less continual basis. I suppose if you pushed things all the way up to "realtime" you might get a slight improvement but otherwise I don't think you'd save yourself more than a fraction of a second.

I have a spare machine (XP1700+/GA-7VRXP/256MB) I built that won't be picked up for a couple weeks. I installed the Beta7 Console Folding Client. It hard locked Windows 2000 Pro. Not sure if I'll try that again.

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio said:
The only time those priorities really matter is when you're slamming the CPU at something over 80% utilization on a more or less continual basis. I suppose if you pushed things all the way up to "realtime" you might get a slight improvement but otherwise I don't think you'd save yourself more than a fraction of a second.

I have a spare machine (XP1700+/GA-7VRXP/256MB) I built that won't be picked up for a couple weeks. I installed the Beta7 Console Folding Client. It hard locked Windows 2000 Pro. Not sure if I'll try that again.

I figured this would be the example where the priority wouldn't make a bit of difference. I was hoping it would help since at normal, it will get equal use of the process when I surf the web, or use photoshop and so on.

It seems as though low priority is really low, and I was thinking that performing even small operations could rob FAH of time on the CPU even if I'm not utilizing the machine around 80%.

Just me rambling...

Mercutio

Folding's console client continues to lock these machines. I tried a couple of my personal machines as well and it does not seem to do well. This machine is just sitting here not being used, and I hear y'all can use the boost anyway.

Any advice for actually getting it going?

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Nahhhhhhhh... stilling a candy from a baby... :wink:

I also run G@h and UD LigandFit... it was expected...

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Seems strange that you are having problems, I have no probs with win2k myself. Does it try to download a core or does it crash immediately on execution?

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Mercutio said:
Folding's console client continues to lock these machines. I tried a couple of my personal machines as well and it does not seem to do well. This machine is just sitting here not being used, and I hear y'all can use the boost anyway.

Any advice for actually getting it going?

What OS and what is the timeline of events?

Mercutio

Lessee... I can download a core. It'll do about 10 or 12 of whatever it's doing, and then it'll say something about a bad frame and the box will die in some spastic fashion (hard lock or immediate reboot). These are stable machines.

At this point, I'm wondering what a userland app is doing crashing these boxes, more than actually making Folding work.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
the console version really needs some work imho. it locks up my win XP athlon XP2000+ machine and it can't handle proxies that require authentication so all the F@H's i'm running are the graphical version.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Jake the Dog said:
the console version really needs some work imho. it locks up my win XP athlon XP2000+ machine and it can't handle proxies that require authentication so all the F@H's i'm running are the graphical version.

I've never had any real trouble with it. For the proxy, just give IP of your proxy server instead of the name. It would not work for me until I gave the actual IP address of the proxy server rather than the url to it.

I have never, ever had a lock up that was not caused by the F@H server being down. That wasn't really a lockup either, it just paused until the server(s) were available. I wonder what it is about the F@H console client could be causig your system to crash? Weird...

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
Clocker said:
I've never had any real trouble with it. For the proxy, just give IP of your proxy server instead of the name. It would not work for me until I gave the actual IP address of the proxy server rather than the url to it

the problem isn't finding the proxy, it's that our proxy requires separate authentication and the console version doesn't appear to support that. i tried editing the client.cfg file but it didn’t work. maybe i can't get the syntax right although the client.cfg file for the graphical and console versions seem to be the same and the graphical can get past it fine. do you have any other suggestions? i'd much rather run the more efficient console version of possible.

Clocker said:
I have never, ever had a lock up that was not caused by the F@H server being down. That wasn't really a lockup either, it just paused until the server(s) were available. I wonder what it is about the F@H console client could be causig your system to crash? Weird...

‘tis weird alright. i have no idea what the cause is either. it can lock up at any time and i haven’t been able to establish a pattern of events that may lead to it locking up my system. the graphical version runs fine however.