Firefox 11.0 is out.

Handruin

Administrator
They certainly catch a lot of problems that would require a person to test manually. They also take a lot of time to write and keep up to date. Obviously unit tests are not a replacement for proper QA and regression testing.

They do take a lot of time to write, but in many cases are worth it because the testing is usually done and reported automatically which saves time. The consistency of how the tests are run are more reliable than manual testing. Just a couple weeks ago we had a developer from another region making changes to an API I'm working on. She wasn't familiar with our setup so she didn't run the unit tests, but after merging the changes into main and after I ran the unit tests, there was a small problem found and a direct and easy pointer to where the issue was located. This issue may have gone unnoticed for some time otherwise and would have taken more time to track down. I wasn't suggesting that unit test cases replace proper QA and other things like performance testing teams. They simply aid in providing a more-reliable build to the QA teams.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
14.01 is out now and it's still semi-retarded with Flash. Of course, I blame Adobe.
"Plugin Container for Firefox has stopped working" is pretty much my computer's favorite phrase these days. So that's awesome.

Anyway, I saw this and it is cute.

bNdeh.png

Attachments

• bNdeh.png
    bNdeh.png
    349.4 KB · Views: 2

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I can't believe how badly flash is messed up, across multiple platforms even. On the mac I use click to flash and things are so much better, only enable it for the specific thing I need to see and thats it. I just had a class with a new monitoring product my company is putting out and there is some flash use in it, about five people experienced windows stop errors many times. Four stop errors on my work computer that was fine previous to this class and fine sense. Not everyone compared notes on it but my and another guy noticed that it was the same stop error every time on both of our machines. We noted it to engineering and they took notes on it.

Mercutio

I've removed Flash from all my Windows machines. I stooped to using Opera, since it uses the same Plugin as Firefox to see if it's a specific issue with Mozilla software. It's not. It's also not a video driver issue since I've tried all three of nVidia, Intel and ATI-based systems. I don't know what the specific interaction is that causes problems and I don't seem to be getting bluescreens, but plenty of "Flash has crashed" errors across the different browsers.

It's a total pain in the ass, but the fix that's generally suggested is to downgrade to Flash 10.3 and open yourself up to whatever gaping security flaws are in that version.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
He shouldn't have to. I too have problems with Flash, as well as several of my co-workers and customers. About the only thing that doesn't crash playing Flash is Google Chrome and I don't think they use the same plugin as everyone else. Adobe srewed up big time with Flash and they seem to know because they are trying to move to something else.

Mercutio

Have you turned tried turning off hardware acceleration in the options of Flash?

I would think that testing across different video hardware would be sufficient to determine that the problem is not with specific video acceleration features.
Hilariously, Flash works about as well as ever on Linux (i.e. not well, but better than Windows has been for the last few months).

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm on the lastest version (14.0.1) and it's dog slow; almost unbearable to use. Chrome does not seem to have the same control over privacy settings (accept cookies from this site only {no 3rd party cookies} and delete cookies on close). I started with the beta version of Firefox way back when, and have installed updates / upgrades on top.Y'all think it'll help if I uninstall it, delete all folders and registry entries for FF/Mozilla and reinstyall fresh?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Firefox is hopeless on legacy hardware - even a diehard fan like Mercutio will admit that. I support a 1.3GHz Core 2 Duo and I have a (dying) PC here that is a 1.8GHz Athlon 64. Give it up, benchmarks and user experience are just hopeless on these sort of platforms.

I hardly think Chrome is ideal for power users, but it does wipe the floor with everything else on old hardware.

Chrome: Settings - Show advanced Settings - Privacy - Content settings - Cookies
Choose 'Keep local data only until I quit my browser' and enable 'Block third-party cookies and site data'

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks time. My chrome settings are as you described, but Yahoo still knows my preferences as far as news is concerned (which sections I read and expand). That's how I got tipped off.

My hw is an Athlon 64 X2 Dual 2.2 GHz + 2MB RAM. Certainly no speed champ, but not a hopeless case either.

It's sad that Firefox is the slowest browser now.

ddrueding

Fixture
Interesting. On high end hardware I would say that Firefox is still the quickest. Certainly better than IE, I don't use chrome much.

Mercutio

I think Chrome is just OK and only for people with light browsing needs. It gets worse and worse the more tabs that a user keeps open, but the builtin flash and PDF support make up for a lot of issues. I usually recommend K-meleon (based on FF 2.0) for a lightweight browser. No modern browser is worth a crap on a single-core P4 or pre-Athlon64 machine.

I might be wrong but Safari on Windows is the slowest of the mainstream browsers. I only know a couple people who even use it, and one of those people has an Apple tattoo.

Stereodude

Not really a
Firefox is hopeless on legacy hardware - even a diehard fan like Mercutio will admit that. I support a 1.3GHz Core 2 Duo and I have a (dying) PC here that is a 1.8GHz Athlon 64. Give it up, benchmarks and user experience are just hopeless on these sort of platforms.
I have a Pentium-M 1.7gHz laptop running FF 14.0.1. I'm using it right now. It works fine for casual web usage.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I might be wrong but Safari on Windows is the slowest of the mainstream browsers.

That's been my experience also. General responsiveness problems more so than something that shows up clearly in benchmarks (from memory).

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Pale Moon. My coworker pointed it out to me today. He swears by it as being significantly better than standard Firefox in terms of snappiness and memory usage.

Mercutio

Optimized Firefox builds have a tendency to fall by the wayside. I suspect that there's little or no subjective difference between this one and the official binary.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I agree. I thought there might have been a slight improvement in scrolling, but the more I tested, the more I doubted it.

I had tried Pale Moon previously and dismissed it as hype. I suspect that like many programmers, the developer has become over-excited with technical trivia. Perhaps there's something to the revised interface? I'll try to check it out in the next few days.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Is it just me or Firefox 17.0 crashes a lot more than the previous versions? It's the third time it happened since yesterday.

Handruin

Administrator
Is it just me or Firefox 17.0 crashes a lot more than the previous versions? It's the third time it happened since yesterday.

I just installed it now as I was not aware it was out. I'll let you know if it crashes more often than normal.

Mercutio

The most RAM I've ever seen Firefox use is 2.2GB, and that was because of a web site The JoJo sent me to years and years ago called "Endless Titties." Even with my browsing habits, I don't see RAM utilization climbing up over 1GB very often.

That's not to say that I agree with Mozilla's priorities, but I'd say that running out of a 3GB RAM allocation while web browsing is definitely a first world problem. ;)

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
18 on release; Mac Retina support, faster JavaScript . . .