Firefox 11.0 is out.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Don't ask me what they changed other than the version number.

Bengali (India) for Mubs
Hindi (India) also for Mubs
English US still for Mubs (Damn, make up your mind man) and most others.
French for Time's wife
German for Buck
Dutch for Chewy's father
Swedish for The Swede
I searched a Filipino version for Paugie, but there wasn't any on Mozilla's web site.

My apologies if I missed your language. I would have linked the Finish version if The Jojo was still visiting.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The JoJo still visits. I haven't seen him post for a while, but I saw him logged in as recently as January.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I learned the other day that there is a non crazy corporate version of firefox that will stay around for a while and receive updates that don't break addons. That's likely what we will have to do at work for trellis.

Handruin

Administrator
I guess they changed nothing. All the pages say: Not found. Not sure what you were linking to.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
They changed it indeed. All the links worked two days ago. I'm even browing on Firefox 11.0 final right now. I got the link from Majorgeeks. I don't know why they still haven't launched it yet on Mozilla's site.

Mercutio

I had to restart Firefox on this desktop and now I see that it's version 12 for some reason. Hurray for version inflation.

Also, for reasons I cannot even begin to guess, Chrome quit working on this machine. I'm not sure why. It's definitely still installed. It just doesn't start any more. Weird.

Handruin

Administrator
Hmm...I decided to check my work machine to see if it was at version 12 and it was at version 9.01 with a message saying upgrade failed. I was able to manually download the update and upgrade.

Handruin

Administrator
Wow, what a bunch of whiners. Just don't browse the web if Firefox (or any browser) causes you that much grief.

Mercutio

I have understand the whining about version number inflation and how that plays hell with corporate common operating environments. Of course, that's something Chrome does too.
I will say that I'm quite happy that both Firefox and Flash have moved to silent updaters. That's incredibly useful.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
My complaint is specific to the plug-ins I use stop working every couple of weeks or so when they uprev. On the other hand I was also getting annoyed at bookmark syncing between devices and another browser handles that better.

Otherwise I like Firefox pretty good.

Mercutio

I installed the nightly tester tools and told it to never check plugin compatibility again. That solved all my issues with outdated plugins.
xmarks works everywhere, though I do have two different accounts so that I can switch between a more employer-friendly set than I would otherwise use.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I still bookmark stuff, but the only ones that I use are on the toolbar. Most of the time it's faster to use the location bar to either enter the URL or search my history.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't care for the "smooth scroll" now enabled by default. I prefer the jerkiness when I scroll with the mouse wheel. I think it's because my brain is trained to recognize the amount of space the text jumps when I scroll and now that it's smooth, it drives me nuts.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I don't care for the "smooth scroll" now enabled by default. I prefer the jerkiness when I scroll with the mouse wheel. I think it's because my brain is trained to recognize the amount of space the text jumps when I scroll and now that it's smooth, it drives me nuts.

It's annoying me too. I just turned it off.

Mercutio

Restoring dozens of open tabs is a perfectly valid reason to want an SSD or at least a Hybrid drive in your PC. It's not like EMC can't afford it. ;)

Handruin

Administrator
Restoring dozens of open tabs is a perfectly valid reason to want an SSD or at least a Hybrid drive in your PC. It's not like EMC can't afford it. ;)

I would love to have SSDs in my work PC. Dude...it took 10 years of working here to go from a shitty NEC CRT to a shitty 17" LCD. The LCD is so pathetic that when using Excel, I often time cannot see the grid outline because the monitor can't display the slight difference in shades of gray. I ended up buying my own LCD and brought it in to work. There are dozens of people who have done this. We are not allowed to get PC refreshes until the machine is 5+ years old and we are not allowed to bring in our own PC.

Lab equipment is a completely different story and on the opposite extreme. One of our teams needed a basic machine for Hyper-V appliance creation testing so they ordered a Cisco C260 rack server with 2-socket (20 cores) and 512GB of RAM!? :dunno:

Mercutio

It could be worse: I have an acquaintance who is an auditor for the IRS. He has a US Government-provided Compaq laptop that is so old it has a Windows ME sticker on it.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm sure it could be worse. The IRS isn't supposedly a hi-tech company. That's my beef with the situation.

Mercutio

I'd probably just bring in my own stuff from home were I in your situation. Companies sometimes get pissy about that too, but it might be easier to stick a personal asset tag on it and make the case that it makes it easier to do your job than just suffer.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I started a new job last October and they gave me a Dell Latitude E6420 with 8GB RAM and a 128GB SSD, which shows up in device manager as LITEONIT LAT-128M2S. I've been pretty happy with it so far.

ddrueding

Fixture
At one place I used to work I was able to come to an agreement. I could bring in my own gear for my own use, but officially became "theirs" with one of their asset tags and I would never be able to remove it from the office again.

It sounds more harsh than it really is. If you plan on working there for a few years it won't be worth much on the back end anyway.

Mercutio

I could bring in my own gear for my own use, but officially became "theirs" with one of their asset tags and I would never be able to remove it from the office again.

Everyplace I've worked that had an issue with third-party equipment on-site, the issues were more about data access (don't bring in things that store data or access the internal network) and liability for disposal than about loss prevention. I always etch my name somewhere on my portable hardware in case there is any question about which laptop or cell phone or display belongs to me. I had a bad experience as a contractor nearly 15 years ago where the notebook I was carrying was the same brand and type as the one employees were issued at a job site and they really, REALLY didn't want to let me leave with my notebook.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Ours go three years. Seems like about half actually make it without big problems. That third year if they are actually being used on job sites is a real killer.