Best Video Card Brand

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I have a couple of customers who decided to upgrade with the release of the recent ATi card. Since every card out is a reference design, except for running across some sales and rebates there's very little difference between them. I'm thinking that people here have more cards run through their hands and can point out good and bad brands for future reference.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I have pretty consistently had software, driver, and hardware issues with ATI cards.
I will stay with Nvidia whenever possible, and, even when slower.

That said, IIRC, my ATI 800/850 card was replaced, IIRC, 3 or 4 times, free, by ATI.
There is something to be said for, if you are buying ATI chips, to buy ATI cards, for their return policy, at least in my past experience.

Matrox is pretty cool, and good at what they do. Wonder what their current offerings are like?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I have pretty consistently had software, driver, and hardware issues with ATI cards.
I will stay with Nvidia whenever possible, and, even when slower.

That said, IIRC, my ATI 800/850 card was replaced, IIRC, 3 or 4 times, free, by ATI.
There is something to be said for, if you are buying ATI chips, to buy ATI cards, for their return policy, at least in my past experience.

Matrox is pretty cool, and good at what they do. Wonder what their current offerings are like?

3 or 4 bad anything just might indicate something else wrong with the system. :cheese:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
REALLY?

System is still going, nearly 11 years. Great air circulation, since it's a server case.

Couldn't be that 800 card had a history of being VERY hot, with inadequate cooling?

ddrueding

Fixture
My most recent purchase was a Gigabyte, but I'm completely happy with Sapphire, XFX, and a bunch of others. I doubt it really matters at all.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I should mention that I currently have a AGP HIS 4670 IceQ in the server. It has run flawlessly for about 3 years, except for problems with DVD/Bluray playback, and PowerDVD 8,9,10.

This situation was one of the reasons I moved to Nvidia, and The Beast. In the AGP category, I think it's pretty clearly far and away the best AGP card on the market today.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I try to stick with XFX, Gigabyte or Sapphire. Most of the companies that I've had a problem with don't make graphics cards any more.

Handruin

Administrator
I prefer EVGA for nvidia cards. Several people including myself have purchased one or more of their video cards have had good luck with them so far.

I haven't purchased an ATI/AMD in a long time, so I don't know first-hand what they're like. Past experiences were not pleasant, but I'm not going to hold grudges or hate a company on a couple bad experiences. I had several unpleasant experiences with BFG in the past, but now their gone.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I have good success with Sapphire and Gigabyte for ATI. I prefer using ATI cards with Intel motherboards. I seem to have the best success with compatibility that way. If the build requires a nVidia video card, than I tend to choose PNY. Out of all the different video cards I have used, it has been rare for me to come across a DOA or to have one fail in the field. With well regulated power and adequate cooling, they seem to be reliable devices.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
One thing I noticed was different accessory packages.

I got an MSI card for one guy that came in a nice box with all the necessary adapters. An ostensibly identical card from XFX came in a crappy box with only the PCIe power adapter.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Depends on the model probably. The last XFX I saw came with the usual DVI-VGA adapters etc.

Sapphire has been hassle-free for me as long as I can remember. In recent times at least, their coolers seem more sensible and therefore quieter than what the fanboy reviews tend to go for. XFX is nice but they do favour more powerful cooling, which may create more problems than it solves.

On the Nvidia side, I've had failures with Asus, Gigabyte and obscure companies that hopefully no longer exist. No problems with Gainward or Leadtek.

In short, I've had more success with brands that specialize in graphics products.

LunarMist

This will become like the HD reliability debate. I'm not sure there is enough data beyond anectdotes. Past performance may not indicate future model reliability.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
This will become like the HD reliability debate. I'm not sure there is enough data beyond anectdotes. Past performance may not indicate future model reliability.
No, no, that's really not true. You see, most graphics card manufacturers tend to stick with the same type of packaging. So I can expect my next Asus card (retail) to come with another nice box.

LunarMist

Why should the box matter, except on retail shelves? :dunno:
All that stuff has to go to the recycling bin anyway.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I just got a 6950 and with nothing else to differentiate them I went with what was in stock with the longest warranty, wound up being gigabyte at 3 years. I think XFX had a lifetime warranty but they wanted another $25 at the time.