question ZFS and WD green drives?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I'm continuing to struggle to figure out how to store my music and home video collections on my main, Windows 7 machine. Up until now, I've sufficed with 2 TB drives, but over the next year, my video collection will likely go >2TB. I like storing it locally (I actually do go back to the old footage frequently), and I prefer not to break it up across multiple drives, and I also like to have a local backup as well (e.g., external drive) in addition to my CrashPlan cloud backup. I may simply get some 3-4 TB drives for the local storage, but I'd also like to use my older 2 TB drives if I can for backup stuff. I have two WD 20EARX drives, and one WD 20EARS, and another EARS that I could re-purpose from another PC, and I could use a spare PC to run Linux, BSD, or FreeNAS. ZFS seems to be the best FS to use for backup purposes. Does ZFS play nicely with the green drives, and a mix of slightly different types of green drives (EARX, EARS)? Anybody have a more elegant solution?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
WD Green drives work with absolutely nothing that makes disk arrays and I promise I tried a LOT of different setups. Your best bet is to use Windows 8 Storage Spaces if you really want to use green drives.

Mercutio

Only Seagate and WD deliberately crippled their drives as far as I can tell. I don't have any large Samsung drives but I do have a dozen 3TB Hitachis that have been happily buzzing away for about 18 months.

Mercutio

Also, I suspect the price on those 3TB drives isn't going to be THAT special in the coming months. I wouldn't be surprised to see them at $99 standard price before too long.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Anyone have experience with the 1TB platter Toshiba drives? IIRC, there was some deal with one of the mergers where some parts and/or technology was transfer ed to Toshiba to allow them to produce larger drives.

Stereodude

Not really a
Also, I suspect the price on those 3TB drives isn't going to be THAT special in the coming months. I wouldn't be surprised to see them at $99 standard price before too long.
FWIW, Costco has 3TB external USB 3.0 Seagate drives for $99.99 tomorrow (11/23).

Stereodude

Not really a
Amazon, Seagate Barracuda 3 TB drives, $99.99 with free (slow) shipping, limit one.
If you're talking about this drive it's not limit 1. I put 25 of them in my cart and the price stays the same. I didn't try to checkout though. So, unless the limit kicks in at the final step of checkout you could buy as many as you want.

Mercutio

Amazon will politely tell you when you try to check out that there is a limit and you've exceeded it.
Also, when there's a limit, they won't let you order the item again for at least a week.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Placed an order on my account, one on my wife's, same credit card, different name, well see if it ships.

Stereodude

Not really a
Placed an order on my account, one on my wife's, same credit card, different name, well see if it ships.
I passed on that one. I did go get two of the $99.99 external USB 3.0 3TB Seagate drives from Costco though. At least they have a 2 year warranty.

Handruin

Administrator
Amazon will politely tell you when you try to check out that there is a limit and you've exceeded it.
Also, when there's a limit, they won't let you order the item again for at least a week.

The two of these I ordered Wednesday did not impose a limit.