Xmarks/ Foxmarks is shutting down

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Yeah I appreciated the business perspective. Don't forget to save your 'marks before the end of the year.

ddrueding

Fixture
My plan was as follows:

1. Sync all machines with XMarks
2. Install Firefox Sync
3. Sync with FS
4. Uninstall XMarks

That should do it, yeah?

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I see no solution to cross-browser syncing though. I use both Chrome & Firefox. I like Chrome's speed & responsiveness, but I still can't love without some Firefox extensions.

Also, Mozilla's sync has never worked properly for me. It just straight up doesn't actually sync properly, particularly when I delete bookmarks. They'll just come back from the dead over and over. Annoying...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Xmarks lets you sync to a server of your own choice if you have a server someplace that's WebDAV-enabled. So it might not be a total loss.

If I'm using Chrome it's because I need an extra set of cookies or login credentials on some site or other. I don't know if I really care about bookmarks in that case.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Xmarks lets you sync to a server of your own choice if you have a server someplace that's WebDAV-enabled. So it might not be a total loss.

I think only the Firefox plugin supports syncing to a WebDAV share. You won't get cross-platform sync (although that's not an issue for your usage).

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I made the mistake of trying to use Firefox Sync as part of migrating between two PCs (one was remote). As a web search confirms, boy does it suck. Only now do I understand why people were so stricken when Xmarks looked like folding. :(

Has anyone managed to do anything useful with the built-in Sync? If so, I'd appreciate any tips.

Mercutio

Xmarks is by far the best of the syncing services. FF Sync seemed to work well enough for me but I got annoyed when I had to close Firefox to sync bookmarks back up in Chrome.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
FF Sync has a 'pairing' paradigm. It wants the 'key' from the other device. When I tell it the other device is lost, it gives me another key, but then turns around and tells me the key is wrong. :dunno:

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
FF Sync has a 'pairing' paradigm. It wants the 'key' from the other device. When I tell it the other device is lost, it gives me another key, but then turns around and tells me the key is wrong. :dunno:

I ran into the same problem and thought I had lost all of my bookmarks. Later, I remembered that I had my FF profile backed up and restored it.

I just reinstalled XMarks, their system is much better.

Handruin

Administrator
I haven't used FF Sync to compare, but like others here, I've been using XMarks with zero problems and synching between two main desktops. Their service works well for me.

Mercutio

Do you still use Firefox or IE?

One of my big problems is that there are times when I have a legitimate need to be logged in to four or five different Google accounts at the same time and I don't want anything to mingle from one to any of the others; computers where I do work wind up having a whole bunch of different browser installs for that reason alone.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Chrome has the new profiles feature. You can configure each profile for a google account. On my home computer we have my wife's and my profiles setup that way. You can tell which profile you are in by the icon in top left.
http://www.labnol.org/software/create-family-profiles-in-google-chrome/4394/

I don't use firefox or opera anymore. I use IE for work sites only as many require it.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
It's even easier with Opera; you just create multiple shortcuts with the "-pd" (Personal Directory) switch.

The user that caused me to reactivate this thread also had Opera as well as Firefox. It took about 30 seconds to backup bookmarks and passwords through Opera Link, including automatic Opera Link account creation. Sharing with another PC took a few seconds.

Up to maybe a year ago, I was convinced that I should just promote Chrome - and that may yet be the case in future. Some sour Chrome releases have made me more circumspect; I still think it's good for low-powered PCs, but I'm not getting positive feedback.

All current browsers are badly flawed. The problem with Opera is that each release is just too incomplete to be a single browser solution. Otherwise, it's by far the slickest product, but IMO their QA is well behind Firefox (although apparently ahead of Google's).