Xeon D-1571 Launched, But Cannot Be Found Anywhere

CougTek

Serial computer killer
According to CPU-World, the Intel Xeon D-1571 has been made available by Intel. See their product page for more details. I cannot find it on Intel's ARK (which I only access thru Google searchs, so it might be on Intel's site even though I haven't found it).

But the Xeon D-1571, despite packing 16 cores and 32 threads inside a 45W TDP package, isn't the one I'm waiting for. It only has a low frequency of 1.3GHz. The real deal was to be the Xeon D-1577, which is rumored to operate around 2GHz and to have a TDP of 65W. However, visiting SuperMicro's website, I've spotted a newer entry with an even faster processor : the Xeon D-1587. What will be the final specifications of the D-1587? You guess is as good as mine. But this thread at STH alerts us that it's going to be quite a bomb.

2x_plus_vite.PNG

It sure won't be cheap, but twice faster than a dual Xeon X5675 with a single, 65W chip, now that's impressive! Can't wait.

Stereodude

Not really a
So the TDP is BS or the thing is going to throttle like crazy or what? Because 16C/32T chip and a lower TDP than a a 4C/8T desktop CPU seems just a tad hard to believe...

CougTek

Serial computer killer
TDP increases drastically when you bump frequency. The Xeon D-1571 operates at only 1.3GHz, versus 3GHz< for the Core i7 and Xeon E3.

A lower-frequency chip often is much more power efficient. For instance, a Xeon E5-2687W v3 has a 160W TDP and it has an operating frequency of 3.1GHz. A Xeon E5-2650L v3 as a TDP of only 65W and operates at 1.8GHz. The E5-2687W v3 has 10C/20T while the E5-2650L v3 has 12C/24T. Why is the E5-2650L v3 so much more power efficient than the E5-2687W v3? Lower operating frequency.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
BTW, the upcoming Xeon D-1587 I'm so eager to own should work at 2GHz or slightly above, while fitting in the same power enveloppe as the E5-2650L v3, but with 4 additional cores and more L3 cache.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
My guess is this chip wouldn't be of much value for anything but servers. My understanding is most desktop applications don't benefit much from more than 4 cores. 4 faster cores would do better than 16 slower ones. And it's hideously expensive besides.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
The cooling requirements for that are going to be a pain. Of course, if you have a water-cooled setup then no problem.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
My guess is this chip wouldn't be of much value for anything but servers.
I need more cores at home to test various computer stuff architectures. I don't want to increase my electrical consumption too much either (because of the increased heat and noise related to it). A single or dual Xeon D-1587 setup would be awesome for me. I could simulate a cluster, a backup site, storage system software, etc. It would allow me to learn by experimentation a lot faster than I currently can.

No, I cannot do that at work because our management is simply too stupid to see the value of a modern development environment. Most of the time, we have to test stuff on the production environment. This is stupid beyond words.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That's a big part of my reasoning for owning an LGA 2011v3 system in the first place. It's definitely coming in handy as I test things like SQL Server failover clusters.