Windows Server 2016

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Unless I'm mistaken, deduplication takes a lot of RAM in Server 2012 R2. I hope it improved in Server 2016.

I need to find a server to test this.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
These are the components I'm most interested in using. I have a system deployment that I'm kind of dragging my feet on so that I get 2016 licenses rather than 2012r2 and actually use the new features.
I will say that 2012r2 has significant improvements (software RAID6) over plain old 2012.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I've almost forgotten, but it's also the beginning of containers on the Windows Server platform. That should allow much higher server density if well implemented.

Last edited:

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I've configured a virtual volume with auto-tiering, using Storage Spaces, on Windows Server 2012 R2 today. I hope there won't be moronic issues like this one in the 2016 version :

attachment.php

That's strong, Microsoft. For the record, changing the scale to GB and setting the volume size to the maximum available space fixed the issue. Still.

Attachments

• Win2K12VirtualVolume-WTF.PNG
    Win2K12VirtualVolume-WTF.PNG
    23.5 KB · Views: 19

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Storage Spaces has a LOT of weirdness like that. Things that have to fixed with cmdlets in Powershell because the GUI doesn't work or isn't implemented. It's fairly aggravating, though the actual storage is robust enough.