WD 2TB @ 7200 RPM

Stereodude

Not really a
I have 8 on the way...has anyone benched them yet?
Assuming you're talking about the Samsung 1.5 5400 RPM's? Then Yes...

15tbsamsunghdtread.png

15tbsamsunghdtwrite.png

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Yes, we all have several of the Samsung 1.5TB 5400 RPM drives. Didn't I start that fad? :D

WD reached 2TB at 5400 RPM a while ago, but 7200RPM is new. Presumably Seagate will follow with 2TB at 7200 RPM, which should not be difficult given they were first to 1.5TB at 7200 RPM. However, I don't trust the Seagates at this time.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
This is only great inasmuchas manufacturers whose drives are actually worth buying will have to lower their prices on sizes actually worth buying.

LunarMist

Hmmmm. The WD has a higher idle power than the previous models, such as 1001FALS, whereas the Hitachi 2TB has less than its 5-platter predecessors.

LunarMist

I have not looked up the new drive. Perhaps there was a typo? Anyway, the 2tB is not available quite yet.

LunarMist

A sophomoric joke? Was there a period when WD made bad drives?

Stereodude

Not really a
No idea. I know Merc doesn't like them. I stopped buying them a while back and went to Seagate and Samsung.

ddrueding

Fixture
Was there a period when WD made bad drives?

Oh yeah. And it wasn't that long ago. I had a 60%+ failure rate for first-gen 36GB Raptors, and I scrapped them all before the warranty expired because they weren't worth the trouble. My failure rate on the "JB" or "Special Edition" drives (the ones with 8MB of cache when everyone else was at 2MB) wasn't nearly as bad, perhaps 10-15%. There were a number of years where, if there was a drive failure, I would bet even money it was a WD before cracking the case.

I do believe that they are over it now, and I have bought many of their Velociraptors and 2TB GreenPower drives. But some like to hold a grudge...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
A sophomoric joke? Was there a period when WD made bad drives?

Every time I've purchased WD drives on purpose and of my own free will, they have failed catastrophically and in an unreasonably short period of time. I gave them a chance back in ~1995 - 6 and lost four out of four drives in a seven month period, all drive less than 14 months old. I gave them another chance from 2001 - 2002 and after owning nine WD drives and having to RMA thirteen of my own in one twelve month span in 2002, I said that's enough.

Of the drives I've personally owned since, I have a 160GB 5400rpm 2.5" drive that's been replaced twice in two years and a 500GB Mybook that I use only for backing up other people's drives because it makes noises that sound like a pipe wrench being dropped on a cement floor. I also have some miscellaneous 160 and 250GB desktop drives that I'm saving for computer repairs for people I don't actually like.

WD can collectively gargle semen from an AIDS-infected hobo.

LunarMist

In the early 2000's I had a few 80-200GB JB drives, but did not use them very long. The 100GB sounded like a 1963 Hoover. :eek: I thought it would explode. Around the time 250GB times were out I avoided the whiny WD drives and did not return until a couple of years ago. All my 3.5" WD drives are 1TB or larger (except a WD3000GLFS) and are working fine. I have about ten 250-500GB Passports and 2.5" drives that are also fine, but were not used very much. I did return one of the very early 250GB Passports due to vibrations.

Now I'm not convinced that one brand is much better than any other. They're all cheap crap as far as I'm concerned (SAS is another story). The major issue for me is the very limited selection of drives available. Since I moved further away a few years ago, the local stores and CompUSA were closed. There are no viable retail options other than Best Buy. Receiving mail order goods has become increasingly problematic for logistics reasons.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I smile when I see merc's posts but my experience is about average for WD's verses everything else albeit my sample size is limited to about 20 total drives many of the 30-60gb generations, some JB's that were just after the FDB switchover for WD, some raptor 74gb's and now this 300gb velociraptor. I only had two die, a 30 and a 60. Only others I have had die on me were a Samsung(160?) and Seagate(300, but they sent back a 400).

Handruin

Administrator
Little does Merc know that the UPS and FedEx delivery people don't like him and vigorously shake and drop his hard drive deliveries before getting to his door. Hence why his drive failure rate is so high. ;-)

Mercutio

Glen (UPS), Tom (FedEx) and Rita (DHL) all love me. I give them each a holiday card with $50 in it every December to ensure their continued kindness and good service. :p

Stereodude

Not really a
FWIW, I compared the Non-recoverable Error Rate of various modern SATA drives. The WD Caviar Black drives are rated <1 in 10^14 bits read. Seagate's consumer drives are all rated 1 in 10^14 bits read. WD's Caviar Green drives are all rated <1 in 10^15 bits read as are their Caviar Blue drives. Samsung's drives are rated 1 in 10^15 bits read.

If you believe the numbers from each manufacturer, and believe they're comparable, that would tend to sway my thoughts on what drives to buy.

LunarMist

Bleh. The FASS is still twice as pricey as the Hibachi with more platters. Why? When will WD prices fall?

LunarMist

The pricing is not proportional between sizes/speeds and brands.

LunarMist

If you get in a wreck, they can just bury the corpse in the car. :crap:

Handruin

Administrator
Their crash rating is actually tolerable. Granted mass is the enemy, but it looks like you might have a chance.

Mercutio

Smart cars are small enough to park perpendicular to the road in a parallel parking space. If you live someplace like the north side of Chicago, I can see how that would be a real advantage.

On the other hand, there's some dipshit in my apartment building who drives one of those six-wheeled F250s. I want to murder him on a more or less daily basis because he's also physically incapable of occupying less than two parking spaces.

Nothing to do with Western Digital, but I think the less we talk about THAT, the better.