Wacko Drive

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Suddenly the write speeds are extremely low. The drive was fine (I thought) since some time in 2009 and then I reformatted and began to copy 922GB of data to it. After about halfway through I noticed that it had slowed to a crawl. It is awfully slow to write on multiple controllers and in multiple machines even after reformatting again. I guess it is time for the scrap heap, but 1.5TB drives are relatively young to dispose of already. :(

LunarMist

I'm not even sure which hard drive it is yet and I don't keep the receipts. :blue:

LunarMist

It could be Samsung, WD or Seagate. I'll have to open that one up because the drive shows as SCSI on its controller. I think it is most likely the 5900 RPM Seagate.

LunarMist

I think it is the WD. Now I will be getting flamed soon. :dwarf:

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Are you sure it passes SMART self-test? There's not a bunch of reallocated sectors?

LunarMist

It does not show any SMART data. I think the ICH ports are needed for that function. :bleh:

LunarMist

Yet it does not. Are there any 6Gbps 8-port RAID controllers that "see" the drives?

LunarMist

Computer is locking up with some drives. I don't know what is up now.

LunarMist

I found the offending drive. On another computer's ICH the SMART data indicates a failed reallocated sector count. :( I'm not sure what data was on the drive and don't have the equipment for drive destruction. What can I do easily to make it practically inoperable? Maybe I could soak it for a week in a moderately acidic solution?

ddrueding

Fixture
That would do, or you can just take off the top plate and shatter the platters by dropping them on the ground. Probably just throwing it on the ground repeatedly would do fine.

LunarMist

It requires some sort of Torx driver. I labeled it "Bad." There is really no need to throw it out now. Ultimately most all of my stuff will be disposed.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I found the offending drive. On another computer's ICH the SMART data indicates a failed reallocated sector count. :( I'm not sure what data was on the drive and don't have the equipment for drive destruction. What can I do easily to make it practically inoperable? Maybe I could soak it for a week in a moderately acidic solution?

44Mag?

375 H&H?

LunarMist

Sure. Maybe there is a drill press hanging out in the back of the closet. ;) :lol:

LunarMist

You are right, I should just do it. I feel weird about such wanton destruction even though there is technnically nothing wrong with doing that.

I broke massive jugs in the 1980s, but that was a job-related activity. :shake2:

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
You are right, I should just do it. I feel weird about such wanton destruction even though there is technnically nothing wrong with doing that.

Destruction is great, especially wonton destruction. Can you throw it off the roof of your building down to the parking lot? Maybe you can find a freeway overpass to drop it off of. :drinka:

LunarMist

The windows don't open in my office and there is ground below. Besides, I would not risk injuring anyone.

LunarMist

I tried to format the drive and "3 days" to completion were indicated. :lol:

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Put it on the stove and boil it in salt water.

Bake at 450F until golden brown. Baste every 20 minutes.

Fill it with lighter fluid and set it on fire.

Fill it with battery acid.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
On drives that cannot be wiped with DBAN, I usually use a cordless drill and drill 3 holes completely through the drive. Drilling is surprisingly quick, maybe 10-15 seconds per hole.

LunarMist

When the awful summer heat subsides I may try to wipe it again with the utility for 53 hours.

LunarMist

Normally zeroing would be faster but the drive is only writing at a few MB/sec. That was the first sign of the defect. :confused: