Things I want in a review

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Anandtech rant

One of the things I most want to know about, in a tech review, are the gotcha's of which the above rant gives a plenty. I rarely see them in print, because of the number of reviews that are there simply to sell the product and not give a good critical review. It's all too common to do diligent research and then get gotten by a gotcha that should have been reported everywhere, but wasn't.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Isn't that the whole point of doing reviews, to find that stuff out so people can steer clear?

True, so many reviewers have sold out.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
But all reviews and that includes AnandTech's seem to be no more than fluff pieces these days. Props to Gary for writing it, but I bet it will be a one-off. Gary will toe the corporate line or leave.

On the same note, for the last three weeks I have been struggling with a Gigabyte issue. I bought a couple of unmanaged Gigabit switches (D-Link DGS-1005D). When I connect them up to my Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 rev 3.3 (F12 and F13i BIOS) motherboard, my SATA drives fail with a "Delayed write error". All the drives (Samsung HD-401LJ, HD-403LJ, WD 5000AAKS) pass all their respective full diagnostics. Disconnect the D-Link switch and use a Belkin Fast Ethernet switch and the problem does not occur. I have used the latest Marvell Yukon drivers from Gigabyte and the much more up-to-date drivers from Marvell and the issue still occurs.

I have had a ticket open at Gigabyte for nearly two weeks now, and it hasn't been read, let alone investigated.

No more Gigabyte for me...

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
AT article quality

Gary's article is a step in the right direction.

It seems a review site's article quality is INVERSELY proportional to the amount of advertising on the site and AT is a prime example. While AT is still a pretty decent site, it doesn't "seem" to be as "good" as it was 3, 4, 5, 6 years ago. It's seems that Anand has dialed back his direct involvement in the site and is just raking in the cash. And there is nothing wrong with that.