The emoji key needs to die

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Can anyone explain to me why the Android keyboard sometimes truncates the spacebar in favor of a key devoted to inserting graphical smiley faces? I've tried all four of the keyboards on my phone and they all do it in at least some applications, most notably Hangouts, but also Skype and other messaging tools.

Does anyone know of a keyboard or system setting that removes this annoyance?

Mercutio

Do you use Gchat or Skype? There appears to be something with messaging apps that causes it to appear. It does not appear when I type in Firefox or K9.

Handruin

Administrator
I have only tried a few keyboards and typically settle on the Google keyboard. I see a single round icon at the lower right corner of the keyboard when using Google hangouts. Is that the one you're describing? I've used it a few times but it's never done anything to really upset my day or motivated me to find a new keyboard.

Mercutio

Yeah, the smiley key. Lower right corner, occupying room that could otherwise be used by more space bar or a carriage return key.
I also installed Kik and Whatsapp and it shows up in those as well, but not in Email software, Web browsers or note-taking apps. Like there's some kind of Android semaphore that says "This is a keyboard for people who don't actually like words."

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Merc, I don't think that you're the target audience for this

I use Swiftkey. It has an emoji key that never causes me problems.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I have no idea how the Andorid keyboards work, but mine does not look like that. It has numbers at the top.

Mercutio

Merc, I don't think that you're the target audience for this

I use Swiftkey. It has an emoji key that never causes me problems.

Right. I want the key give because it's placed where I want to swipe for the space bar. I think it might be an anti left handed person conspiracy.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Yeah, the smiley key. Lower right corner, occupying room that could otherwise be used by more space bar or a carriage return key.
I also installed Kik and Whatsapp and it shows up in those as well, but not in Email software, Web browsers or note-taking apps. Like there's some kind of Android semaphore that says "This is a keyboard for people who don't actually like words."

Fuelly will give me different versions of my Swype keyboard depending on whether I use the mobile site or desktop site. Maybe something similar is going on.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I really wish swype had configurable key layouts. The .com thing when entering websites drives me crazy. I need the bigger spacebar.
And there are other situations it would be good too.