Sudden shutdown with Abit NF-7S board/setup

EdwardK

Learning Storage Performance
Hello everyone,

I am really stumped with this problem I am having. I am rebuilding/upgrading my system because of my silly mistake (please see Merc's The end-of-2003 PC Config Thread at the Computer section for more details)
When I booted up, the motherboard can see the RAM and hard drive. Then I proceed to install Windows XP through the floppy drive. After a minute or so, the computer suddenly and unexpectedly completely shutdown. I have to disconnect the power supply and when I re-booted, I went to the BIOS/Soft Menu and checked the CPU temperature. The CPU temp is about the 50oC mark (I left the default BIOS to shutdown if the CPU temp is over 75oC). Even after a minute or so viewing the BIOS menu, the computer would still suddenly shutdown. Could it be a power problem? I am using an Enermax 460W PSU from my old system. I don't think it is a video card rpoblem that Doug was experiencing because I can see the BIOS menus.
I am really stumped and will very much appreciate any help you guys can help me. I just could not install Windows if the computer shuts down after a minute or so after boot-up.
Thanks in advance for all your help and advise.

Cheers,
Edward

Handruin

Administrator
Even though you have a beefy power supply, it sounds like a bad one. I know it has 460W's but does it meet the voltage spec on AMD's website? Is there any way you can try another power supply from another system? My video problem did not cause anything like this, I only had noise in my monitor.

If it's not the power supply, are you sure the heatsink is on correctly and in full contact with the die? 50 degrees C seems rather high for only a minute or so. My 2200 + runs at 55 C with F@H running for hours.

I wouldn't suggest setting the over temp protection too high incase the CPU is truly overheating.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Anyone who has tried overclocking knows those symptoms quite well : overheating CPU. I don't see anything else that might cause this. PSU and memory problems would be different, at least they were when I experienced them.

Are you sure the FSB/CPU frequency ratio is set correctly in the BIOS?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Stupid quetion #1 : did you peeled the thin plastic sheet off the base of the heatsink before installing it? Not that I think you would that lunatic... :roll:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
And just to add to the confusion, I've seen CPUs that have been damaged during installation (chipped), do similar things.

Although that one is at least easy to verify.

Handruin

Administrator
CougTek said:
Anyone who has tried overclocking knows those symptoms quite well : overheating CPU. I don't see anything else that might cause this. PSU and memory problems would be different, at least they were when I experienced them.

Are you sure the FSB/CPU frequency ratio is set correctly in the BIOS?

Tallman will attest to a machine that would run for a random amount of time and turn off for no reason. Replacing the power supply fixed his problem.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
It also could be a failed chipset/video fan. It really is symptomatic of classic overheating. What is overheating is very debatable at this point.

Tallman

What is this storage?
I was having the same issue when I upgraded my motherboard and CPU to 1GHz but not the power supply. You didn't mention on the other thread how many drives or cards were in the computer. I had seven drives and five cards which caused "brown outs" on my machine. The temp never got over 48c, but the machine still would hang when to many HDs or CDs spun up.
I took the extra drives out of my system till I could buy a new power supply. I felt like the NASA rescue team from Apollo 13 trying to power up the LEM every time I booted my computer.

EdwardK

Learning Storage Performance
Tallman said:
I was having the same issue when I upgraded my motherboard and CPU to 1GHz but not the power supply. You didn't mention on the other thread how many drives or cards were in the computer. I had seven drives and five cards which caused "brown outs" on my machine. The temp never got over 48c, but the machine still would hang when to many HDs or CDs spun up.
I took the extra drives out of my system till I could buy a new power supply. I felt like the NASA rescue team from Apollo 13 trying to power up the LEM every time I booted my computer.
7 drives and 5 cards! Eeek! :eek: No wonder you feel like the NASA rescue team :mrgrn:

Thank you everyone for your help and advise. I finally narrowed it down to a "dying" power supply unit and the CPU heatsink not sitting properly. When I took off the motherboard and had a look at the CPU heatsink, I saw that there is a gap between the copper base and the CPU because the heatsink retention clips are not sitting properly. No wonder the CPU is running hot! Man, I feel silly after all this :oops: After making sure the heatsink is sitting properly this time, I then powered up the computer but nothing happened! I thought I had blown the mobo this time! I then switched to a spare generic 300W PSU, and the computer powered up. Phew!
Thanks again for all your help and advise. Much appreciated.
Cheers,
Edward