SSHD - hybrid drives

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Has anybody used, or any experience with SSHD? I need to update a couple of computers and moving to a SSD + hard drive might be a little bit of a chore. But I also need capacity, so a single hybrid drive might be easier. This will be paired with an update to Windows 8.1.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have a few of the Seagate units from several generations. They're kinda-sorta faster than magnetic drives, but the only place I can really tell a difference is startup or resume from hibernate.

mangyDOG

Learning Storage Performance
I tried one of the new Seagate 3.5" models a few months ago and was disappointed. If you really need performance then SSD+HDD is the only option. My standard setup for most higher end PCs is to setup on the SSD and create a folder on the HDD called "User_Files" and within that create a folder based on the user name. I then move the Docs/Music/desktop/video/pictures etc. folders from the C:\Users directory to the D:\User_files\Username directory. Windows 7 & 8 cope with this happily and all the user needs to remember is to save all their work into the default locations.

This may be possible to automate with a registry hack but for one or two users on a PC the few seconds it takes to configure is not worth the hassle.

Cheers,
mangyDOG.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Startup or hibernate is one of the use cases I'm trying to speed up. The PC's in question have an abundance of printer/camera/OCR/image apps that are in the startup folder, which means reboots are a chore.

I tend to create a D:\Users directory and do the same with an SSD+HDD combo, but looking at the PC's in question, there appears to be non-standard file save locations, and I'm trying to avoid the "I can't find my files since you upgraded my PC" calls.

Mercutio

This may be possible to automate with a registry hack but for one or two users on a PC the few seconds it takes to configure is not worth the hassle.

Windows 7 and 8 both support Libraries and can be made to look both places without losing the default folder functionality. If you're configuring multiple machines in the same way, you can back up/restore a Library config or include un-indexable folders in libraries using Zorn Software's WinLibrary Tool.

Mercutio

One other issue that relates to using Libraries: It's not all THAT uncommon for them to get messed up somehow. My Windows 8.1 trashed my non-default configuration and I only just got around to fixing it on my laptop, even though I did have the correct configuration saved. It's also possible to remove them from the left-hand Windows Explorer pane, or for legacy apps to not want to work with them (e.g. by not following the default redirection per folder and instead whining that the "library" itself is not a folder).