Some network help if you can

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Hi all,

I've got a bit of a strange one. My main PC (Win 7 x64) can no longer see my Freenas/SMB shares.

It can see XP/Win7 shares on other machines. All other machines can see the Freenas/SMB shares. Nor can this machine log on to the Freenas Admin page via browser. All other machines can.

I've turned off the Windows firewall. No change.
I can ping the freenas box. I can see the shares when I browse the network. I checked the hosts file to see if the ip or network name was blocked.

I've checked for Spyware/virus with Spybot and Avast!

Can anybody suggest anything else to try?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Can you open the NAS admin page if you start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking?

When you say you can't log into it, I assume you mean you can't load the page at all? You've tried different browsers? Does repairing the network connection achieve anything?

Can you remap the NAS admin port to something other than port 80? Does Telnet work?

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Can you open the NAS admin page if you start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking?

When you say you can't log into it, I assume you mean you can't load the page at all? You've tried different browsers? Does repairing the network connection achieve anything?

Can you remap the NAS admin port to something other than port 80? Does Telnet work?

Thanks for the quick reply time :)

I can't open the admin page in normal or safe mode. The page goes white and will eventually through a 404. This happens with multiple browsers.

I have repaired the connection & used a fixed IP.

I have seen a number of posts saying to downgrade the LMAuthentication, which I have done (LMCompatibilityLevel = 1). I'll give the telnet and remap a go shortly

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Rolled back to about 17th March via system restore. SR kept saying it failed, so I kept choosing an earlier point-in-time. After the third or fourth failure, I booted normally and the first message I got was about a successful restore :?

Oh well, at least the network is back to normal. Thanks for your suggestions ppl.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
All the restore points were created by Windows Update, or Avast! 5.x to 6.0. The most likely suspect is Avast!, but my laptop also runs Avast!, was upgraded to 6.0 at the same time, also runs Win 7 Home Premium x64 and it didn't experience the issue. There are only two updates to Windows, one is Windows Defender, the other is a certificates revocation which if memory serves has been installed on all other machines without issue. The final update is a a RealTek NIC driver update. Sounds suspicious. When it happened, one of the first things I did was update the NIC driver to an even later one from RealTeks site, which didn't help. I'll play around with this one later.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Did you happen to install or update Windows Live 2011?

There is a known issue with the "Windows Live Sign In Assistant" component that breaks CIFS/SMB sharing with non-windows clients/servers. (The current git version of SAMBA does provide a work-around for it - it related to that component adding new authentication modes to SMB which SAMBA doesn't like).

Simple uninstalling the component and rebooting will fix this issue. (FYI - It's not listed in "Programs and Features", you need the uninstall string from the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall ).

I came across this one about 3 weeks ago, when access to my wifes Win7 laptop stopped working for both file shares and printer shares and I couldn't access shares/printers on her laptop, and I couldn't access the CIFS share on my main desktop from her laptop.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Not that I'm aware of. I don't use any Live features, nor does my wife (that I'm aware of). She as admin access so could conceivably install things.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Bloody thing happened again. Same box, just cannot connect to Freenas. All other boxes (Win 7 64, Win7 32, XP) can connect. This one can't.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
And this time I'm out of luck. For some reason, possibly related to changing the boot drive, System restore was turned off, so there are no restore points to go back to.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Symptoms:

I can see the Freenas box in Network. I can browse the shares. I cannot view any files.
Any other box I use has the same username/password can see everything fine.
A net use X: \\Freenas\Share_name will eventually return a System Error 53 or 64
I've tried a number of "fixes" on the net for samba/"network name can no longer be found"/0x80070035 errors—and most relate to downgrading the Samba/LANMan authentication—without luck.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Would you believe that about a week later it just magically started working again? There were couple of Windows updates...