Shut down remote computer

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of ya'll can tell me how to shut down a computer on my home network from another computer. I tried using the "shutdown" command, but it said the network path was not found. Anyway, thanks for any advice!

Rod

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
What OS?
You can hook the management console up to a different computer.
You right click on My computer and click manage, then under action there is connect to another computer. Maybe somewhere in there will let you shut it down.

BooST

In Windows XP Remote desktop, Start - Windows Security - Shut Down

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Or just launch Task Manager from within Remote Desktop and select Shutdown from the pull down menu.

C

RWIndiana

Okay, I have XP home, is that a problem? I can find the remote desktop feature but can't connect to the other computer. :S

Handruin

Administrator
No-can-do with XP Home:

To use Remote Desktop, you need the following:

Windows XP Professional installed on your office computer, or whichever computer you plan to operate remotely. This computer is known as the host.

A remote computer running Windows 95 or a more recent version of Windows. This computer is known as the client and it must have the Remote Desktop Connection client software installed.

A connection to the Internet. A broadband Internet connection improves performance, but it is not necessary because Remote Desktop transfers only the minimal data (such as display data and keyboard data) to remotely control your host computer. Therefore, even low–bandwidth Internet connections allow you to remotely control your office computer.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx

Handruin

Administrator
For clarity sake, you can't USE XP home as the terminal server...however, you should be able to use the remote desktop client to get to a terminal server or XP Pro machine.

RWIndiana

Thanks Guys, I was afraid of that. Is it expensive to upgrade to XP Pro, and/or are there any issues I might encounter upgrading?
Thanks again.

Rod