Powerleap upgrade dead, need suggestions

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
About a year and half ago I upgraded my 440BX board with a 1.4 GHz Celeron Powerleap upgrade. Today when I went to my machine it was unresponsive. I tried hitting the reset button and it didn't even post. I opened it up, switched some of the DIMMs in the hope that maybe it was only bad memory. Nothing. I then put in my old 450 MHz PII and the system was fine. In fact, that's what I'm on right now.

Now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. The adaptor board on my Powerleap could be bad, or the processor could be bad, or both. The heat sink feels cold all the time, meaning that the processor is not getting any power, so I'm guessing that the adaptor board is bad. I did try removing and reseating the processor to no avail. I really don't feel like spending the money on another Powerleap to see which part is bad. I don't feel like leaving the system at 450 MHz, either. While I don't notice the speed difference for some of what I do, I definitely do lots of things on this machine which are processor limited.

This leaves only one option-a new motherboard as much as I hate the idea since my 440BX has served my so well. Chances are that my 1.4 GHz Tualatin Celeron is still good so I'm looking for a decent motherboard which supports it. I also have 1 GB of PC133 RAM (4 256 MB sticks) so I need to be able to reuse that as well. Basically, I only want to purchase the motherboard, hopefully on eBay or from someone here for not much over maybe $15 - $20 shipped. If it turns out that my processor is bad, then I can purchase another fairly cheaply also. Now I know faster processor/MB combos exist but I currently don't have the money to spend, especially if it will mean I can't reuse my RAM. Even $15 or $20 is going to hurt at this point but I can't tolerate this slow a system.

Any motherboard suggestions then? Or any better ideas (as in how to repair my Powerleap)? It did look like one of the caps on the adaptor board is bulging slightly at the top. Maybe that's the problem.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Let me see, a Powerleap adapter with a 440BX chipset, that would mean you're using Slot-1. Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the adapter? I just had a system where the system hung during POST and the problem was resolved by cleaning the contacts on the AGP video card and DIMM sticks with <cough> an eraser</cough>. :D

Handruin

Administrator
When exactly did you buy it?

PowerLeap said:
If your product was purchased before January 2, 2004:

Your warranty from date of shipment is for 3 years repair and replacement. This includes all parts and labor as well as CPUs if said CPU was purchased along with your upgrade product. This does not cover any of your computers other components or peripherals that may become damaged during neglegent or faulty installation. This warranty only extends to the original purchaser of the product.

If your product was purchased on or after January 2, 2004:

Your warranty from date of shipment is for 1 year repair and replacement for most PowerLeap CPU upgrades. The PL-SlotWonder carries a 90 day warranty. This includes all parts and labor as well as CPUs if said CPU was purchased along with your upgrade product. The product may be returned for a full refund, less shipping and handling, within 30 days of shipment. This does not cover any of your computers other components or peripherals that may become damaged during neglegent or faulty installation. This warranty only extends to the original purchaser of the product.

Source Link

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
jtr, I'll set you up with a 1.2GHz Athlon and a Gigabyte board that'll take your RAM if you'd like. I might even have an XP1600 or 1700 someplace.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Buck said:
I just had a system where the system hung during POST and the problem was resolved by cleaning the contacts on the AGP video card and DIMM sticks with <cough> an eraser</cough>. :D
Hey, erasers are great for cleaning contacts. The red erasers on a typical pencil work just fine. I was using those on rack-mount modems back in the 80s.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck: yes, it's a slot-1, and yes I did try cleaning the contacts. I can always try again, nothing to lose at this point.

Handruin: I just checked the eBay auction date and it was early 2003, not 2004 as I thought. Time flies. I've had this then for over 2.5 years. Therefore, it is probably under warranty. If so, you might have just solved my problem.

Merc: that sounds great! Let me know how much you would want. I'm going try the warranty route first but if it falls through I'll try the new board. Heck, I'm thinking of trying the new board anyway, especially if you have an XP1600 or 1700, and maybe just keeping my 440BX and the warranty replacement Powerleap (assuming they honor the warranty) for another machine. Does the Gigabyte board have four DIMM slots? I really do need 1 GB RAM for some of the stuff I do. I'd probably even go with more but my 440BX maxes out at 1GB, and so does Win98.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
There might be a monkey wrench in the works. Powerleap wants an order number for their RMA request form which I don't have because I bought it on eBay. I contacted the person I bought it from on the slim chance they might still have the number handy but I'm not holding my breath. It looks good at this point that I'll be buying that board and processor from you, Merc.

Mercutio

Who said anything about "buy"?

I need to check to make sure, but I'll bet I can set you up with something decent.

Not sure about 4 DIMM slots. That's the main thing.

What I know I have spare and working in Socket A land are an Abit KT7, a Soyo KT600-based something (which has the distinct advantage of being REALLY upgradable, but won't take your existing RAM), a Gigabyte board with the old AMD chipset and, um... a couple Asus KT133something-or-others that can do RAID n' stuff. And a Gigabyte nforce 2 that might work OK but that I have written "Cursed" on the static bag for some reason, and an Asus KM400 (which also says "cursed" but I know why, in that case) and um... three A7N8X-type boards.

And that's just the pile of parts I'm sure work. Most of them came out of machines that I upgraded. Some of them are returned RMAs.

CPU-wise, I know I have an Thunderbird/900, a Thunderbird/1200, a Thunderbird/1333, at least two XP1600s, one 1700, one XP2500 and two XP3200s sitting around. And then there's the small pile of AMD chips that I'd send back to AMD if I could ever remember to collect some retail HSFs to go with them...

In other words, I have more parts than I need or want to have. Which is why I think we can hook you up.

Do other people have this problem?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Who said anything about "buy"?
In that case then a board upgrade sounds even better! :)

Don't sweat it too much on the four DIMM slots. If your boards only have three, then that'll do, so long as they support 512 MB DIMMs which I'm sure they probably do (and which my 440BX doesn't). I'll just use two of my 256 MB sticks and pick up a 512 MB stick on eBay or elsewhere for the 1 GB.

Do other people have this problem?
Yes, although most of my older spare computer parts are from the era of 30-pin SIMMs, and thus useless to just about anyone. Also, plenty of spare electronics parts of all sorts, more than I'll likely ever need. Whenever my taximeter shop owner friend cleans out his stock room, guess who ends up with his old parts? If you or anyone needs something electronic just give me a holler. I might even have what you're looking for.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Some good news. The guy who sold me this is actually taking care of the problem. I returned the processor today. He said it is likely that the adaptor board is bad. If so, he'll replace it a no charge. If it's the processor, he'll sell me a new one at his cost (~$40). Either way, this will be getting fixed soon hopefully. I was amazed that the guy was willing to do this since he was under absolutely no obligation to do so.

Mercutio

Does this mean that you don't want my old stuff?

I was thinking of a Soyo Via KT600 and an XP1600. I don't have any spare RAM at the moment. 1GB of 184pin runs about $80 right now... I don't know whether that would be doing you any favors.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I still definitely want your old stuff Merc just in case something else in my system goes. The combo you mentioned sounds good. I should be able to spring for the 184-pin RAM once I get paid for some work I did recently. Once you get it all together just PM me for the shipping address, and I'll PayPal you the shipping costs. I really appreciate your generosity here, and I hope I can repay the favor one day. :)

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
Jtr, how did this end? Did you get replacement parts - what was broken?

I'm asking because I think my adapter gave up also... :cry:

One night I just turned the computer on, went away to do something else, and when I came back I saw a blank screen. I thought "screensaver", but no matter what I did, the screen remained blank. By blank screen I mean a state where there is no picture, but the sync is still on (=monitor doesn't go to power save). Like the screensaver.

Hit reset, nothing. I turned it off and opened it. While testing the system in my test bench, I managed to get about 10 mins uptime in one out of four times. Every time the screen just blanked out eventually. Other times it just remained dead when I tried to boot it (monitor stayed in power save).

I slapped my old PIII 600E in - starts right up.

Well, partially - I don't know if I managed to damage my XP installation during my testing, but XP loses my sound card and NIC in every cold boot. I have to start XP and then restart in order to get it going. On the first boot, it claims to find a new NIC, but if I install the drivers, I get error "this device cannot start". The "real" NIC is present in Device Manager all the time, just doesn't work on a cold boot. Happens even when I resume from hibernation.

Has anyone ever seen something like this?

Cheers,

Jan

PS: I'm not trying to do a thread hijack, since most likely the cold boot issue could be solved with a reinstall. However, I'm not keen to do a reinstall, so if anyone knows a simple fix... :D

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
The person I bought it from sent me a replacement so I never knew what was wrong with the original one. The replacement had a 1.3 GHz processor instead of 1.4 GHz, and also a different adaptor. I think what happened was that my adaptor was bad, the processor wasn't, but the person replacing decided to send me the slower processor and keep the 1.4GHz one for their troubles. After all, they were under absolutely no obligation to fix anything. I was just happy to have it fixed for free without any hassle on my part. I can't say I really even notice the speed difference between 1.3 GHz and 1.4 GHz (actually 1.456 GHz versus 1.568 Ghz since my FSB is running at 112 MHz). I thought I might even get luckier with the new processor and be able to run 133 MHz FSB (which I could never do with the original processor) but no such luck. The system actually POSTs at the speed whereas it didn't before but it fails upon bootup. I tried jumping the processor voltage two steps above original but still no luck. I decided to leave good enough alone rather than bumping the voltage yet higher. Maybe 2.5 years of slight overclocking is what killed my original adaptor. No way of really knowing.

Your problems sound like exactly what happened to me. One day I just turned on the monitor-blank screen. Hit reset-nothing. My old processor worked just fine. BTW, was the heat sink on your processor cold? That points to a malfunctioning adaptor with the processor getting no power. Depending upon when your adaptor was made and if you're the original purchaser it might still be under warranty. I'm guessing Powerleap reduced the warranty to one year after 2004 because of a high number of returns. I always questioned whether the parts on the adaptor board could handle generating the number of amps that the Tualatin processor pulls. I guess the answer is that quite a few can't, at least past a few years.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
jtr1962 said:
BTW, was the heat sink on your processor cold? That points to a malfunctioning adaptor with the processor getting no power.
Yep - hence the assumption that the adapter board is damaged. I actually ran my 1,3 GHz Celeron at 1,15V, and even then the HS did get quite warm. HS a Zalman fan - CNPS6000-AlCu.

jtr1962 said:
Depending upon when your adaptor was made and if you're the original purchaser it might still be under warranty. I'm guessing Powerleap reduced the warranty to one year after 2004 because of a high number of returns. I always questioned whether the parts on the adaptor board could handle generating the number of amps that the Tualatin processor pulls. I guess the answer is that quite a few can't, at least past a few years.
I've been pondering on about my options: My adapter was bought from a local vendor, which doesn't carry the adapter anymore - most likely I'd have to try to get a replacement directly from PowerLeap. As I told above, there could be something damaged on my MB aswell. Maybe the CPU is also hosed.

Then again, I could get a Sempron64/MB/memory/HSF for less than €250, which would be faster than the Tualatin. Or, I could really spend money and get a new primary system and downgrade the current one. But for this I'd rather wait until AMD uses DDR2.

Bottom line: Most likely I'll ask PowerLeap about the options. Then I'll struggle with the PIII and downgrade (~next summer if not even later), provided that I don't have a total breakdown... :-?

Cheers,

Jan