PFC/APFC power supplies need pure sine wave UPSs

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Anybody heard anything about the newer PFC/APFC power supplies requiring pure sine wave UPSs to function properly? News to me. Maybe we all already have psw UPSs so nobody's brought it up! :smile:

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I just skimmed through the APC forums. Seems it's a power supply problem, not the UPS. One poster mention replacing his Dell power supply with a Corsair and his system is fine.
I've been using Antec PFC power supplies for 5-6 years now with quite a few on cheap UPS's. Never had a problem when on AC or battery.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Using a Fluke 123 scope I can't tell the difference between UPS and Utility. If I had to say the UPS looked slightly better.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Good to know. I was reading that some people were having the pc switch off the the ups switched over to battery. I've been on laptops exclusively for a few year so I haven't had to keep track.

Stereodude

Not really a
A switch mode power supply should be able to take just about any power input. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't know if it's anything to do with PFC, but things are not always as they seem with UPS load ratings. Xbit Labs tests UPS compatibility. For example:

Working with my APC SmartUPS SC 620, this power supply was stable at loads up to 384 watts when powered by the mains and up to 300 watts when powered by the batteries. At a load of 330 watts the UPS would shut down in 10-15 seconds, reporting overload. An UPS with a sinusoid output voltage and a reserve of wattage may help here.

ddrueding

Fixture
Reserve wattage I think is the key phrase here. They shorted the battery pack enough that it can't keep up with the rated AC load. that is a major oversight.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I have old-school UPS units with a not-so-pretty waveforms and they power anything and everything. Some of the APC and Cyperpowder UPS now are receiving compaints because the damned switching output don't play well with the newer computer PS. Yet whose fault is that? Consumers want the cheapest and lightest PSUs and mainly look at the VA ratings, but there is some value to having a large transformer and large enough batteries.

ddrueding

Fixture
My new super UPS showed up today. I hope to get it hooked up tonight. It weighs at least twice as much as my APC 1500; that is a good sign.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
They are a cheap brand of the UPS. Surely you've seen some in the retail stores. :face: